Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Here's my first glitch after a few days with the n810; I finally got it all set up the way I want, and finally have it working with BT DUN over a Moto Q on Verizon. Fantastic. I go to set up my gmail for IMAP access and lo the email application won't launch on the n810. It just says "e-mail loading" and then nothing happens. No matter how I try to launch it, it fails. I turn it on and off a few times, and finally it boots up, then runs into some kind of problem with gmail that I'm too tired to diagnose and crashes.

Weird behavior. I'm going to look into it tomorrow and make sure I've got the gmail set up properly, but anyone else have this problem before?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Yeah this is a common problem. i just restart the device and sometimes it helps but sometimes it doesnt. But the mails will slowly come in. The led will light up saying that you have new mails and then it opens the inbox

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
The regular email client is terrible. A refined modest mail is launching soon and is MUCH better. I would almost recommend holding off until then and using the webmail instead of the stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
This bug is also related to Gmail IMAP.
it won't work correctly when downloading the body of the message.
Try downloading only the headers and check mails from the web.

Sometimes it goes thru and downloads the whole messages, many times it does not. Too erratic as behavior.

Anyway the should be a daemon running in background that's trying to download your e-mails, a bug is here that prevents the GUI to appear if this daemon is stuck into the download process somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
This bug is also related to Gmail IMAP.
it won't work correctly when downloading the body of the message.
Try downloading only the headers and check mails from the web.
...or try Claws Mail
http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/

The Following User Says Thank You to claws For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Great -- thanks for all the tips. I'll give up on trying to get email with the included client and try out Claws while waiting for Modest.

Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
[...]the email application won't launch on the n810. It just says "e-mail loading" and then nothing happens.
As the email client on the N810 is the same one used in OS2007 I bet it's having the same problem: If for any reason the sub-process that's connecting to the mailserver has problems, then it won't launch. This could be a) a config problem, as in when using the wrong port for gmail/imap/imapSSL connection, or b) just because your network was disconnected just the moment the osso-email app tried to sync email. After that it won't launch the emal application.

The fix is to enter 'killall enprocess' in xterm, after that the email app should start. If it never does, then it's a configuration problem as indicated above.

I have load-applet-run installed in OS2007. It has an option for executing commands directly, I entered 'killall enprocess' and ticked the 'save' option, called it fix-mail and I just click it whenever the email hang problem happens. It'll exit with 'exit code 0' if it indeed killed the enprocess sub-process. This fixes the hang problem every time for me. (But as I said, the config has to be correct first.)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
I had same issue once I got it going, i deleted the IMAP and went to POP3.
IMAP wouldnt work

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I am having same problem on n800 with pop3. very erratic also...

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Halifax, NS
killall enprocess worked thanks.. what a pain!