Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
How does one install Firefox OS on the N9?
Pretty much same way as you'd install Nitdroid, it just needs a directory where you extract the files, and a preinit modification that chroots to that dir and starts init from it.

Easiest is to use ubiboot to get a mice graphical launcher for it

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
...I don't think it's such a low end OS. Quite a capable
That's interesting to know, I wondered how it would go on half-decent hardware.

I want an FxOS device but I want to wait until there's a better standard of hardware available than the ZTE Open / Alcatel One Touch / LG Fireweb.

I hope there's going to be a developer mode so you can install your own privileged apps on your own device without needing any form of signing.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Yunfu city,Guangdong province,China
anybody try to run FFos on N900?
http://bbs.dospy.com/forum-315-1.html

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by yaliang View Post
anybody try to run FFos on N900?
No, I don't think it's that easy. I run it on android device(zte blade). Far more easy. I haven't seen anyone using FF on n900.

Edit: strange questionmark by the way

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-04 at 11:18.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Yunfu city,Guangdong province,China
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No, I don't think it's that easy. I run it on android device(zte blade). Far more easy. I haven't seen anyone using FF on n900.

Edit: strange questionmark by the way
i am sorry for my poor English...
i have seen that FFos run on N9 .so i think it is the same with N900.or it is beacuse of n900's hardware?
http://bbs.dospy.com/forum-315-1.html

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by yaliang View Post
i am sorry for my poor English...
i have seen that FFos run on N9 .so i think it is the same with N900.or it is beacuse of n900's hardware?
The n900 hardware would probably be able to run it since the first FF device isn't that powerful but I guess software wise it's not a walk in the park.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Looks like nobody is using FFOS on the n9...
Is it usable ? I mean, how good are:
* battery life
* phone, SMS
* email & calendar sync,
* basic web browsing
* camera, GPS

Last edited by KTy; 2014-01-09 at 07:05.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Firefox OS 2.0 screenshots leak, give preview of upcoming design changes

Interested in getting a peek at a design makeover that’s coming soon to a mobile operating system? Of course you are!

Several screenshots that purportedly show Firefox OS 2.0 have made their way online, giving us a preview of some of the changes that Mozilla will be bringing to its mobile platform. While the home screen itself may not look terribly different, it does appear that the Firefox OS 2.0 status bar and dock are more transparent that the current version.

One area of Firefox OS that is getting a nice facelift in version 2.0 is the lock screen. It’s somewhat reminiscent of the lock screen found on iOS and also includes a slider on the bottom that allows the user to unlock the device or jump directly into the camera app. We can also see that the music player app also has Back, Forward and Play controls that are accessible on the lock screen.

Overall this new version of Firefox OS looks much improved over the software that’s out in the wild right now. Mozilla appears to have made the OS more visually appealing in several areas while also making it easier to use. There’s no word yet on exactly when we might see Firefox OS 2.0 begin to roll out, but we’ve previously heard that Firefox OS phones may finally hit U.S. shelves in 2014, so hopefully this version is the one that’ll be used to introduce Firefox OS to the States.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Oh yea! The best WP,IOS,Android,Meego mix I've seen to date! It actually looks really nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
On a whim I've just bought myself a ZTE Open C, it's actually a lot better than I anticipated. In all honesty I actually expected Firefox OS to be a bit stuttery but so far (and it's only been a day) everything's been really rather smooth. It's miles better than my daughter's old Samsung Galaxy Europa and not too far behind my Huawei Ascend Y300.

One thing that's very noticable is when you launch the Firefox browser it loads instantaneously (presumably because it's already in RAM as part of the OS), I like that a lot.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:

Tags
boot to gecko, firefox os, lg fireweb