Posts: 33 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Houghton Lake, MI
In my dreams, GeraldKo . But thanks for the kind words!

Chiaowl

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Greece-Athens
Hi! After destroying my system and losing some important files and also erasing the internal memory (i don't know how this happened), i decided to take more seriously the reliability of my tablet. So i decided the following:

1)a Maemo for hacking etc (destroying) on the systems memory (the default)
2)a cloned Maemo for serious use on my memory card
3)probably in the future Mer on my card

-Is that OK?
-Will i have problems with the cloned maemo (which i want stable and reliable for serious use)
-Will my memory card be destroyed sooner because of the big use?
-Does penguinbait' s tool work on the latest maemo (43-7)?
-Is there any newer version than the one on the first post?
-Is there something else i have to notice?

Thanks!!

congrats ChiaOWL welcome to Linux varsity.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
... Unfortunately, I haven't used it with the latest OS; I'm not positive it will work right...
Yes.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerstavros View Post
Hi! After destroying my system and losing some important files and also erasing the internal memory (i don't know how this happened), i decided to take more seriously the reliability of my tablet. So i decided the following:

1)a Maemo for hacking etc (destroying) on the systems memory (the default)
2)a cloned Maemo for serious use on my memory card
3)probably in the future Mer on my card

-Is that OK?
-Will i have problems with the cloned maemo (which i want stable and reliable for serious use)
-Will my memory card be destroyed sooner because of the big use?
-Does penguinbait' s tool work on the latest maemo (43-7)?
-Is there any newer version than the one on the first post?
-Is there something else i have to notice?

Thanks!!
In the message you linked to, you say that you don't "want" to reflash. In this message you say that your system was "destroyed".

How do I get Maemo to destroy my memory card? I've been trying for several years now without success...

All joking aside, the traditional preventive for losing important files is backing up. This is often mentioned even with flawless operating systems such as Windows...

Last edited by geneven; 2009-06-14 at 14:00.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
In the message you linked to, you say that you don't "want" to reflash. In this message you say that your system was "destroyed".

How do I get Maemo to destroy my memory card? I've been trying for several years now without success...

All joking aside, the traditional preventive for losing important files is backing up. This is often mentioned even with flawless operating systems such as Windows...
I finally reflashed. As about the backup, i have a question.

Consider that i have taken a full backup of my maemo on the system's memory, the jffs2, with pb tool. If i cannot boot this because of a mistake (like my problem), how can i restore the system using the tgz of pb? I need to have usb-networking? Is there any other way to access the system's memory?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I finally reflashed. As about the backup, i have a question.

Consider that i have taken a full backup of my maemo on the system's memory, the jffs2, with pb tool. If i cannot boot this because of a mistake (like my problem), how can i restore the system using the tgz of pb? I need to have usb-networking? Is there any other way to access the system's memory?
I think you should reverse your plan from your post #222. Keep the system memory OS safe and stable; do your experimenting on the cloned system on the SD card. Make a clone of your SD card (ideally, a literal SD-card clone; or else a backup of the whole card, including the OS). Then, if you destroy the SD card, you just put in the clone.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

I think you should reverse your plan from your post #222. Keep the system memory OS safe and stable; do your experimenting on the cloned system on the SD card. Make a clone of your SD card (ideally, a literal SD-card clone; or else a backup of the whole card, including the OS). Then, if you destroy the SD card, you just put in the clone.
I thought of that, but 1) i need more free space 2) i don't know how to restore a system memory maemo with pb tool.
I ask again, can i access system memory from another os, ie mer, or a cloned maemo?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I thought of that, but 1) i need more free space 2) i don't know how to restore a system memory maemo with pb tool.
I ask again, can i access system memory from another os, ie mer, or a cloned maemo?
Huh? You need more space for what? You're aware that both OSes can access all the files stored in the FAT partition on the SD card?

I don't think PB's Tools do what you're asking.

Huh? You need more space for what?
I like some qt apps, but just qt libraries need more than 30 Mb, and i have 20 free...
You're aware that both OSes can access all the files stored in the FAT partition on the SD card? I don't think PB's Tools do what you're asking.
I donīt understand what you mean. I ask if i can access the systemīs memory that has maemo in compressed jffs2, when i cannot boot it. I think that the answer is only usb-networking with bootmenu, but i canīt find how to enable this...

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools