Active Topics

So apparently a new "feature" of OS2008 are OTA system updates. Great. However, the repository for these updates is currently unreachable (presumably due to the unacceptably poor server performance that has been plaguing Nokia for the last day), and thus refreshing my applications list hangs for minutes on end and eventually times out. What's worse is that the System Software Update entry is not configurable in any way...you can't even temporarily disable it. At least, as far as I know you can't. Anyone have any idea how I can get around this so that I can get my N800 back to its original state?

I'm experiencing the same thing right now... no kagu, no UKMP... just sadness.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
You can disable any repo you want (including that one) if you are in Red Pill mode.

However, that's not the only repo that's getting hammered right now, so....

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I did just that...and now i can install my apps. just installed fmradio. this is of course from a backed up Apps list. I suggest people try Red Pill and disable the System Software Update if they have a backup. just a thought

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ South Carolina
Does anybody have any information regarding the repository access problems we are having??

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by paulmorin View Post
Does anybody have any information regarding the repository access problems we are having??
Yeah... They should be just fine after everyone stop using them all at the same time.

-T.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I'm suprised and disappointed that nothing has appeared on Maemo Announcements during the last 2-3 days - I'm not looking for answers, but the radio silence is an extremely poor way to communicate with your users while they experience such poor service.

Failing to acknowledge or even publicly discuss this severe service delivery problem casts Nokia/Maemo in a very poor light. Unfortunately ignoring f*ck ups until they go away is a well established Nokia habit which seems to have infected Maemo too.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I'm suprised and disappointed that nothing has appeared on Maemo Announcements during the last 2-3 days - I'm not looking for answers, but the radio silence is an extremely poor way to communicate with your users while they experience such poor service.

Failing to acknowledge or even publicly discuss this severe service delivery problem casts Nokia/Maemo in a very poor light. Unfortunately ignoring f*ck ups until they go away is a well established Nokia habit which seems to have infected Maemo too.
I agree with your 1st paragraph and am saddened by your 2nd. I was so hoping that this was just a glitch or a minor faux pas perhaps - not an established pattern of behavior. I don't mean to whine, but this situation really stinks.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Probably many Maemo developers are in vacation

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Probably many Maemo developers are in vacation
Rule #1 of software development - never push out a new release then give all the developers vacation time! The biggest problems are most likely to occur immediately after or within the first few days following release.