Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
For Dakon: you may be able to get a working one from me cheap after I get the motherboards from usb socket fixer. I am selling them cheap for members and new users. Or if you have everything else working fine I can just sell the motherbiard. I still need about 20 backcovers and keyboards with frames to get all 50 to a working condition. Hoping to be able to bring about 20 new members/coders to the field if they would get 2 x N900 for cheap to play with Leste.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
For Dakon: you may be able to get a working one from me cheap after I get the motherboards from usb socket fixer. I am selling them cheap for members and new users. Or if you have everything else working fine I can just sell the motherbiard. I still need about 20 backcovers and keyboards with frames to get all 50 to a working condition. Hoping to be able to bring about 20 new members/coders to the field if they would get 2 x N900 for cheap to play with Leste.
Do you also accept damaged back covers? I have some with damaged/torn out kickstands.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Yes, any backcover is better than no backcover

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
My N900 is still my daily driver phone. I can still make/receive calls/sms on it, connect to 3G data, access enough of the Internet (Google search, public transit journey planning, Nokia Maps being the main ones) and play some nice games on it. And I intend to continue to use it as my daily driver until A.It dies or has a hardware failure (e.g. charge port ceases to work), B.It stops working with my carrier or otherwise becomes unusable for the things I need to do with it (or I end up in a position where I need to do things on it that I am unable to do) or C.I find a device that is better (and no I don't mean something from crApple or Samsung or Google or whoever that is running all sorts of code underneath that I have no ability to control or change) that I can justify buying.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Yes, any backcover is better than no backcover
I'll dig out what I have some time in the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Frankly I only use it (them) for internet radio. Hoping for Maemo Leste.

The Maemo 5 supplied Internet Radio "app" never disappoints, especially not excellent buffering on slow speed connections and with the additional bonus of FM Broadcast to x number of high end tuners that will like N900 never give up after consumer society tries to spit them out and trample over.

Other than that, I just like to hold it and move through it's interface, let my mind move over the fact that there is "little to do" just like a moment in nature, It's healing for anybody suffering the "disconnection syndrome" of modern Western style life & electronic devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
(snip)"disconnection syndrome" of modern Western style life & electronic devices.
Is it not a bit insane that the flagship phones still have the same flash space as the N900 as well as eliminating the SD card slot on most devices.
I have always tried to ensure that my devices are ready for digital survivalism, plenty of audio books, music, an offline copy of Wikipedia, some ebooks, datasheets, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Its official, my N900 is no longer usable.
The USB port is completly broken (not just loose or comming off the board, actually broken) and finding anywhere in Brisbane that can fix it is nearly impossible.

The screen is also slowly deteriorating, the battery doesn't hold the kind of charge it used to, quite a few keyboard keys have come off (or are close to comming off) and the cellular modem is flaky (its getting the dreaded "no sim" error more and more now) so it just doesn't make any sense to try and get this thing fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by jonwil
Its official, my N900 is no longer usable

I have three of those (not that dead as yours), one flaky, but still one as 'new'.
What about looking on the bay for a replacement? There still are N900s out there still in good shape.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
My 10-year old N900 is still my main phone - and I have spare ones in case this original breaks but it seems really unlikely, even battery is original one.

Overclock with custom profile, swap offload on sd card with flopswap, phone, sms, calendar, mail, GPS with modRana, public transport with Fahrplan (CH SBB), podcasts with gPodder and 1.8x playing on SMPlayer, 3G modem with USB tethering, BackupMenu...

But today I have a new requirement to access a customer's VPN with Swisscom Mobile ID and I discover "SIM application toolkit" and that N900 has no support for it. With hope I may port MeeGo code: https://github.com/meego-tablet-ux/meego-app-satk

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ymartin59 For This Useful Post: