Somehow I accidentally upgraded to the latest power-kernel v44 (when updrading ALL in Faster App), and my N900 is now stuck at the boot-up screen (with U-boot) saying "Starting Kernel..."

Is there any command that I can give to U-boot (after interrupting the autoboot) to get it to boot the original OMAP kernel?

At the very least, is there anyway I can access the phone's memory to get back data?

[EDIT, 19 Nov 2010]
Have found solutions, which also include installing v45 of kernel-power, multiboot and even Nitdroid... see last page of this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65411&page=9

Last edited by elric; 2010-11-19 at 16:52. Reason: Updates

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Landstuhl, Germany
I just made the same mistake and I'm stuck in the same spot...

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Flash the kernel only (this example flashes the std. kernel).

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=64

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Have you tried this?

To boot maemo instead of meego:

Hit any key to stop the N900 from booting into meego and write this in the console:
Code:

run noloboot

And it will boot into Maemo
- from the meego uboot thread

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

@DrWilken: I was already planning to reflash, but I think OP's original intention was to avoid that.

@cfh11: The boot loader is attempting to boot the correct OS, but it stalls at "Starting kernel". So, unfortunately "run noloboot" doesn't work.

Drew

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
The power kernel runs: run noloboot by default I think (You need to boot with open keyboard to override).

drdrewusaf: -> I said "flash the kernel only". That doesn't overwrite anything else than the kernel... If You do it like in the link I posted.

Original info here.

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-11-10 at 19:06.

Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post
The power kernel runs: run noloboot by default I think (You need to boot with open keyboard to override).

drdrewusaf: -> I said "flash the kernel only". That doesn't overwrite anything else than the kernel... If You do it like in the link I posted.

Original info here.
Then you will reinstall all the programs for me?? (that was the true point) damn this u-boot... could not update some apps.. used apt-get update.. and this auto-installed... ****-off... it SHOULD NOT be instaled by upgrade even with extra-devel...

Last edited by gamowar; 2010-11-10 at 19:35.

Please read the advice that's given you carefully, even if you're understandably under stress :-)

Flashing ONLY THE KERNEL as shown will NOT require that you reinstall apps or restore data. Just allow you to boot again as before.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
welcome to my world of yesterday!.....I had to do a fresh install after I updated to v.4.2...I had multiboot installed as well.I`m sure there is a way to recover it , but I`m not a God concerning Linux, so the easy solution, format and do a backup restore.

Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post

Original info here.
Yeah, I understood that, it was still a PITA though...guess that's what I get for having a 64-bit OS.

It came back just fine after the kernel flash. Now I'm wondering if I should even attempt to reinstall Kernel Power...

Drew