With the video player, it's possible to play .rm streams by entering the url in "open stream...", for example rtsp://streaming.rte.ie/encoder/radio1.rm

However, I can't find any way to do it without entering the full url each time. It doesn't work from a saved "video", bookmark, nor by following that link from a web page.

Can anybody suggest a way to save multiple .rm stations (or .smil) so that they can be selected from later?

I've found a couple of changes to the opera.ini file that fix this, for the RTE (Irish) stations and BBC Radio Five Live.

I've described them at the help page on my (very, very basic!) Nokia 770 radio tuner site at Radio Ten.

There's still plenty of RealAudio live radio streams that don't seem to play at all, I've listed some of them there. If anybody knows how to tweak the tablet to play them it would be helpful.

many (in particular video) streams have very windows-centric proprietary formats with DRM strings attached - so far, the stes I found that fail to play on the 770 for other reasons than bandwith or size won't play on my linux desktop either, at any rate unless I use some linux-wrapped Win or binary only codec (which are no option on a ARM box).

We'll have to hold our breath until the codecs have been reverse engineered into open source - by which time the stations presumably will have moved on to the next generation of locked and inaccessible MS or RM codec...

Sevo

Last edited by sevo; 2006-09-20 at 23:07.

Originally Posted by sevo
many (in particular video) streams have very windows-centric proprietary formats with DRM strings attached
Are any of the RealAudio and RealVideo codecs (i.e. within ram/ra/rm files) Windows-only? If they are, is there any way to look at a stream and see what formats are missing from the 770 realaudio/video players? The only stations I've listed with problems are ones claiming to be realaudio/realvideo.

As well as those of course it's a real pain that so many radio stations only use Windows Media (including 95% of stations in Canada, and most commercial stations in the US), makes the 770 far less useful as a radio player.