Active Topics

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
N800 with 40 gigs of cards, looking forward to dual 64 gig cards.
It's my coffeehouse and roadtrip web browser and webmail client,
my MP3 player (XMMS),
my airline and tourbus video player (MPlayer),
and my concert sound system remote control (VNCviewer).
I had an N810, but traded down to the N800 for the front panel D-pad.
Any one of those functions is worth what I paid for it.

I very occasionally use it as an ebook reader or to play games,
but I like my Treo 650 better for those things,
primarily because it's always on my hip.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
...other comments and questions:

@sachin007: does it really make sense to go to a public library and study PDFs on the N810's small screen?

@angelb: yes, tablet's speakers are way good! (I know a girl researching for audio devices for Nokia, they invest a lot on research on this sector). Modest, instead, doesn't work for me. It has tons of bugs that makes it unusable.

@Cadabena: I bought a pair of AKG K 324 which I'm very satisfied with. Numpty Physics doesn't seems to work anymore after latest update...

@davadio: do you really use the N810 camera to taking photos? I usually like to show it off too, but people doesn't really get what is it

@debernardis: did you try Java apps on Debian in the tablet? How does it performs compared to Jalimo? Does skype allows video calls on Debian4Tablet?

@Rider: thanks for the tips on web browsing...!

for reading ebooks and comic books... and for surfing of course..and one more thing I also use it to listen to streaming radio.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
.@Rider: thanks for the tips on web browsing...!
Don't forget about using skweezer.com for tablet web browsing. I know that one of the cool things about the NIT is that we have the full, unadulterated web in our pocket. But if speed and readability is what you want, skweezer.com is your friend.

(although, curiously, I haven't been able to connect to skweezer all day today )

Originally Posted by davadio View Post
... I would not have bought it if the price had not dropped to $230+/-, but now that I'm hooked I will be willing to pay whatever for the N-900 if it turns out to be as great as I hope. ...
Me too!

I use mine to:

- listen to XM Radio online over my work's wifi. Surprisingly, the battery lasts for almost 6 hours doing just this.
- tweak my volunteer fire department's web site using an ssh connection and X Terminal.
- gPodder
- OMWeather
- RSS
- email and chat
- web browsing when not home
- free SIP to landline internet phone calls with sipphone.com and VoipBuster
- mYtube
- music, photos, video
- taking notes with Xournal and liqbase
- and when I'm feeling real evil and unethical, EtterCap. Nothing is sacred on public wifi.
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
But at the end, which real daily-life tasks are you using your tablet pc for?
- Portable web browser
- last.fm radio player
- VoIP (gizmo)
- mp3 player
- Video player (transcoded DVDs, youtube and others)
- IM on the go
- Map viewer (maemo-mapper and Nokia maps)
- Note taking
- Calculator (using gcalculator)
- View weather forecast (using omweather)
- Yellow stickies for reminders (using yellow notes applet)

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
My N810 is my constant companian and personal assitant. It starts as my alarm clock and goes on from there. I use the GPE aps and notecase for PIM all day long. I'm a freelance and spend a lot of time in Starbucks where I can message, Skpe and check my email. Small bits of surfing also find there way in. I use Maemo Mapper and the GPS to go to new client locations. I write drafts with a bluetooth keyboard and have even edited web sites FTP'ed to transfer the files. I'd probably take some pictures if the camera wasn't facing the wrong direction. I could actualy go on but the truth is an open device with Linux opens up so many posibilities. My office is always with me. There's no need to take notes to do it later -- you just do it now.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, WI
paperweight.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by zeleftikam View Post
paperweight.
You still use paper? That's your problem.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Rochester NY
My n810 has largely displaced an older sony vaio laptop. I use it for IM (pidgin), email (claws) for 3 pop accts and gmail, play music (canola), casual browsing at home and away, gps (maemo mapper), taking notes (notecase), a few games, keeping a simple spreadsheet up to date (gnumeric), vnc control of a virtual machine at home, contacts/calendar (gpe), ...