Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Exactly, Dave! I for one have changed an ambiance exactly once. When I replaced the stock wallpaper with my own photo. Never used any of Jolla's supplied alternative ambiances.

Jolla seems to consider a quick switching between ambiances one of their unique selling points. They had a brilliant idea with their first phone to use replaceable back covers with connectors to enable various expansion functions. And what did they use it for? Ambiances. A complete misfire.
which were unavailable after a month or so
they needed cash, but 30€ piece of plastic wasn't good enough

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Welcome to sailfish !

If you are interested, you can read some of the former UI designer (Jaakko Roppola) articles on his blog, for first hand reason why things were done this way.

in the case of ambiences, this one in particular is interesting :
http://jaakkoroppola.blogspot.fr/201...ks_12.html?m=1

I personnaly follow the ideas he presented here, but you are free to prefere to add some patches if this behavior doesn't suit you.
well, im happy he left. ambiance is totally irrelevant. feature. especially for sailfish.

on the otherhand we are not discussing ambiance as such but rather the quick access menu.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I would join your tirade as this prominant place should not be reserved solely for jollas beta state Ambiance "gimmick".
Ambiances are a great idea if completely fleshed out one day with actual actions AND automatic switching of ambiances based on location, wifi ap or time (see situations app) which would make manual ambiance switching even more pointless and help jolla move it away from top-down swipe? don't know.

Maybe it will be cool if those actions you are trying to achice by having toggles in that place will actually be available by selecting the appropriate ambiance with grouped "toggle functions"?

Like select "sports" ambiance and thus activate bluetooth which is otherwise disabled and start sportstrack app.
Or select "night/sleep" and have flightmode for 6 hours and start somafm drown zone with descending volume?
Select "work" for calander and email app open in background and network config change. Possibilitys are endless.
But i concour, in its current state and lifted to the place it is currently, it feels forced as it contradicts simple user expectations.

OTOH, sfos is open enough to be patched to your liking and since patches already exist. Problem solved for the time being?

What jolla should really do imho is give patchers official acknowledgment and ship sfos with most popular patches as official options in system settings + compensate the community coders. Be it only the outlook to be "promoted" from residing within patchmanager to official distro systm settings as "reward"?

Last edited by mosen; 2017-10-22 at 11:55. Reason: continually adding ambiance usecase explanation in center paragraph

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Exactly, Dave! I for one have changed an ambiance exactly once. When I replaced the stock wallpaper with my own photo. Never used any of Jolla's supplied alternative ambiances.
Well I use exactly 2 ambiences, and I do change between them many times a day.
Normally I have the "first one" as my default ambience, and when I go to a meeting or come home I use "silent"

I find it pretty neat to put device to silent mode in one swipe.... but rest of the ambiences are not useful to me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Is that why they removed the silence quick action? To force you to use an ambiance to achieve the same thing? Sneaky!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Is that why they removed the silence quick action? To force you to use an ambiance to achieve the same thing? Sneaky!
Yes, it is all part of a devious plan!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
To understand the ambiance concept, you have to remember the Sailfish 1.0 version, before they broke some usability and consistency on the interface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELMztxUHFjc or here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64ja7WBHU8

In those new days, the home screen had the ambiances on the left of the home screen, the events were accessible from anywhere with the bottom swipe, and the swipe down was meant to lock the device.

Then, the functionality is meant to replace the "profile" found in Symbian for example, not only to change the background color to match a back-cover.
For example, in my case I use 3 profiles: general (all ringtones at full-volume), work (call ringtone at low volume, no sound for mails/IM....), and silent (nothing except alarms), and like juiceme switch between them everyday.
The default ambiances are only there as a showcase, if you don't want to use them as wallpapers, but as profiles, you are meant to create those you need (and delete the default one if they get in your way).

If you don't need such granularity, then the "silent" pull down on the lock screen was the best option, but it disappeared. An option to reallow it would be useful.

Finally, there was a work in progress for a "situations" clone (in fact before situations was announced if I recall correctly) by SfietKonstantin : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93424 & https://github.com/SfietKonstantin/phonebot
I started to try to add a way to automatically change situations in response to time or antenna change events (to detect between home and work location without GPS) : https://github.com/Sagittarii/phoneb...872e7cd10b9ada
Feel free to take a look if you want to see the dbus calls to switch ambiences programmatically (like in a cron job).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Well, I like ambiances as an idea, but to be fair, there is almost no point in switching them at the moment. I suppose I'm a special case since my phone is almost always on silent anyway. As a long time Symbian user, I'm used to the idea of profiles in general, though to be fair I mostly switched between general, silent and offline.

I never felt a need to switch to my PARTY AMBIANCE when going out for drinks, that features people having fun as a background so I could be reminded, how I should be instead of looking at my damn phone.

Scheduling ambiances would be great, but for me, the most important feature would be being able to do anything in there. So you would see them as some kind of "modes" that change various phone settings instead of just a glorified background/ringtone switcher. First thing that comes to mind for me is something like "Quiet Hours" from Windows Phone (my favorite feature). If you could shut off any notifications from people outside (for example), your "inner circle" and it would be a part of an ambiance that you can schedule, I'd totally use it. If I could tell my phone, that I want it to go into an "Airplane Ambiance" automatically because I'm hopping on a plane (for example, based on my calendar)? Awesome.

I'd love to see some smarts here too, having it learn over time and see - hey, you got an email from [some airline] with your travel itinerary, I can put on your super cool AIRPLANE AMBIANCE while you're on the plane and you don't have to worry about putting your phone in airplane mode. I'm not saying "omg evil cloud that eats your parents and automatically stalks your ex", because I'll probably have privacy nut-jobs burn down my house, but you could totally process it all locally if you wanted.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pisarz1958 For This Useful Post:
What should the dimensions an ambience image be for the Xperia X? The same as any other phone running Sailfish? I am finding tutorials on this that seem out of date. I keep trying to create an ambience, and have used several different image sizes (1080x1920, 540x1600, 2432x1125) but it seems to show only a very small portion of the image I select.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
How about trying 2048x2048 as here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...ambiance-size/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post: