Active Topics

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
And to top it or most of the tablet backers can't use missing refund transfered to this deal which is not cool. What can they use the refund money to??
RTFM :
https://blog.jolla.com/sailfishx/
For those within the Tablet refund program: there will be a way to utilize Tablet refund as payment for Sailfish X. We’ll update on that closer to the sales start day, stay tuned!
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
Hi,

So first Jolla haven't payed back 99.8% of the tablet backers that payed for OS development rather than secure funds for delivery. Many which also bought their first phone and helped out with alpha and beta of sail. And then Jolla asking for 50 more to test a beta for them, and to top it of user have to pay for a Xperia X.
If they are going to give you your money back (and by golly I hope they do as I'm bored hearing you talk about it) then they need an income stream.

If they sell 10,000 licenses for a year (which I think would be a remarkable success) that would be 500,000 euros. If you're trying to pay 10 engineers (e.g. for security updates, hardware adaptations and a newer version of Android) that's not a lot of money for salaries plus taxes etc... plus development hardware plus tablet refunds.

50euros seems cheap and I hope they do well enough to make it sustainable (and refund you your tablet).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonquark View Post
Hi,

If they are going to give you your money back (and by golly I hope they do as I'm bored hearing you talk about it) then they need an income stream.

If they sell 10,000 licenses for a year (which I think would be a remarkable success) that would be 500,000 euros. If you're trying to pay 10 engineers (e.g. for security updates, hardware adaptations and a newer version of Android) that's not a lot of money for salaries plus taxes etc... plus development hardware plus tablet refunds.

50euros seems cheap and I hope they do well enough to make it sustainable (and refund you your tablet).
500.000€ are "nothing" for a company with 50+employees. So that may be sufficient to pay 10 of them, for a year. Anyone knows where the missing 3+ Mio€ come from?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
500.000€ are "nothing" for a company with 50+employees. So that may be sufficient to pay 10 of them, for a year. Anyone knows where the missing 3+ Mio€ come from?
They've raised money from investors and from companies like Intex who they have created custom phones for... but that will be increasingly difficult to do - they have a vicious cycle of:
hard to get a device -> few users -> few apps -> low demand for devices.

Jolla now is a lot smaller than it was when large numbers of employees were getting on stage at Slush. From here to a profitable, stable ecosystem is obvously a big leap but I hope they can sell lots of licenses for the Xperia X. I'll certainly be buying one.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
50€ is obviously calculated to vaguely pay the costs of maintaining and improving this device specific port for 12 month.
They do not want to make loss from the community device.
Thats all.

It is a nice gesture concidering they focus business on corporate and governmental solutions. Take it or leave it.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
What happens to people who live in countries not listed? Will we be able to buy the Sailfish image for 50 Euros?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
What happens to people who live in countries not listed? Will we be able to buy the Sailfish image for 50 Euros?
See post 847 and 848

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
50€ is obviously calculated to vaguely pay the costs of maintaining and improving this device specific port for 12 month.
They do not want to make loss from the community device.
Thats all.

It is a nice gesture concidering they focus business on corporate and governmental solutions. Take it or leave it.
Yes, this is also what I think.

In my understanding the "official version for Xperia X" costs 50 euros for the first year, and during that time we are getting especially tailored updated for Xperia X. After the one year subscription "a continuation program follows" which means that normal updates come like in all SFOS devices up to today.

Now, there was also an alternative explanation by an user of TJC who thinks that the "continuation program" means that Xperia X will possibly receive more special updates, and to subscribe to those would cost some xx-euros/year more.
I think that unlikely, but if it happens to be so I don't think that is a bad thing either.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ok. So its a subscription - One year contract. Then another 50. Its good if they can transfer the funds to refund program. To be able to refund atleast 200 in September . So jolla is free to do what they want.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-08-28 at 07:54.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Ok. So its a subscription - One year contract. Then another 50. Its good if they can transfer the funds to refund program. To be able to refund atleast 200 in September . So jolla is free to do what they want.
Nope, that has not been disclosed.

Only the fact that the first year costs 50 euros.
Whether the next years cost anything or something, that remains to be seen.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x