Posts: 53 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Australia
New:

A replacement part for the Jolla phone receiver was found by Greendts. I have ordered one and installed it today, so can confirm that a receiver to suit a Nokia Lumia 820 fits and works perfectly.

Original:

Hi All,

I have had a look over the forums and hope this is not doubling up. My question is two tiered I guess.

The receiver (ear speaker) on my Jolla is not working correctly. On a call a couple of days ago the audio/voice playing through the receiver speaker became very crackly. Since then, the audio has become almost impossible to hear. It is either very faint or very crackly.

I have looked over on TJC, and it seems this could be something to do with contacts, however, most posts seem to be referring to the loudspeaker, rather than the receiver.

I have tested with the CSD tool, and the first part of the ringtone is heard clearly but extremely faintly. Once the second, louder part starts the crackling and distortion take over.

I tried contacting Jolla Care. However, I am in Australia so they said:

Unfortunately the only way to request Warranty service is if you can do it from within the Warranty region: EU, Norway, Switzerland & Hong Kong.

Please read more in our Warranty Policy.

We don't have any local repair locations in Australia and unfortunately there are no spare parts available for doing it yourself.

Our apologies for this inconvenience.
So I thought I would try to open my phone to see if it was a contact issue and one of the screws is incredibly tight. Before I broke anything or damaged the screw head I gave up.

Does anyone here now how I should go about getting my phone going again?

Is it likely that the receiver is damaged? Or is it more likely to be the contacts?
If it is the receiver, does anyone know what sort it is or if it is possible to get a replacement from somewhere? Is it shared with any more common phones?
Has anyone encountered ridiculously tight screws, and how did you get them undone?
Lastly, has anyone else living outside the warranty area successfully had there Jolla phones repaired?

Any help would be really appreciated. My phone is less then 3 months old, and is unusable for all but loudspeaker calls. I really don't want to have to walk away from an otherwise good phone. Especially since my TOHKBD is not far away. It took me a long time to upgrade from my n900, and I am really enjoying the sailfish experience.

Thanks everyone in advance, and forgive me if I have missed this with the search.

Justin.

Last edited by juz; 2015-07-23 at 08:23. Reason: Replacement part found

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
So, I had another go at getting in, this time with a more expensive torx bit. This time I managed to get the tight screw out without damage.

I have had a search on the internet, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas where to get a replacement receiver from? A few images are attached.

The receiver appears to be held in place with adhesive. As you can see when I tried to bend the springs out a bit one popped right out. Disappointing, but it was practically not working anyway. It measures 6 x 12 mm. Not sure about the depth.

If anyone has any contacts that may be able to source one, please let me know. Happy to pay of course.

Worst case, I may have to start ordering random ones. Not sure where to start though.

Thanks again.

For slightly better quality images click below.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Argh, it's a shame that contact broke off.

I can sympathise with you about the lack of info on the receiver speaker, as you say loads of people seem to have problems with the loudspeaker, which also happens to be an easy fix because you can get to it without taking thw whole damn phone apart.

My receiver stopped working entirely (no sound at all) and i didn't want to wait weeks for Jolla to repair it even though it was under warranty, so I opened it up and had a look.

I disassembled until I could see the speaker like in your photos, and then bent the two contacts up. One side of each contact is actually a little hook, I found that it popped out when I pulled up on it. I wasn't sure if that was going to be a problem (only being attached to the receiver on one side of each contact) but actually it was fine. Reassembled and the receiver started working properly again.

Did the tight screw have blue stuff on the thread? I think that's adhesive called loctite to prevent the screw from working loose during use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Thanks Feathers McGraw for your feedback. I am glad you got your receiver going again. I saw your remarks on TJC, very useful for me. All my screws had loctite on them, just one was crazy tight. It sheared the head off my first Torx 5 driver. Had to go to the shop and get a better one. Got it in the end, with no or very little damage to the screw head.

I have tried reopening my support ticket with Jolla. Hopefully they come to the table and give me some support. Fair enough that I am not covered by warranty, I think that is a bit unfair. But regardless, to not even offer to fix it for a price? I couldn't believe it really.

Cross my fingers I can get something going. In the meantime it is speakerphone only for me.

Thanks again for your input.

Justin.

The Following User Says Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by juz View Post
All my screws had loctite on them, just one was crazy tight. It sheared the head off my first Torx 5 driver. Had to go to the shop and get a better one. Got it in the end, with no or very little damage to the screw head.
Well that's a good advert for Torx, I think they were designed so you'd knacker the bit instead of the screw if you apply too much force, to prevent screws with damaged heads from getting stuck.

Only a few of my screws had loctite on, looks like whoever assembled yours was a big over-zealous!

Fingers crossed you can sort something out with Jolla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
I have one from a blackberry Z10 , it has similar pin contacts, but its about 15mm long , I can send it to you if you think its worth a shot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Thanks so much tommo, I really appreciate it.
However, I have no chance at fitting something longer than 12mm in, so I don't think I can use it.
Thanks again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Melbourne, Aus
Hey guys, the same happened to me, I did a google image search and found the Lumia 820 looked similar. On eBay I saw they were only $3.99AUD, so I thought it was worth a try.
Arrived 2 days after ordering, and 15 minutes later, bingo!!!!
100% success, same size fit straight in.
Just thought I'd share so everyone can benifit

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Greendts For This Useful Post:
Greendts,

Thanks so much for sharing that info! You may have saved my Jolla from the scrap heap, and at the very least, saved me a lot of money in postage and forwarders.

Was it hard to remove the old receiver? Is it held in place with adhesive?
I am heading straight for eBay to follow your lead.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences. I will share my success or failure in a few days.

Thanks everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:
Ordered!
Should be here Tuesday, or Wednesday.
Hooray! Thanks again for making my day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juz For This Useful Post:

Tags
audio, hardware, jolla, receiver, warranty