Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Nickster
D'oh... forum software skipped over his post...
Ah, fair enough.

Meanwhile, here's a Perl script that I've knocked up that will recode anything you can throw at Mencoder to produce a 300kbps video 96kbps audio 15fps video file, at 320x240 or 400x240 depending on aspect ratio, with vertical or horizontal bars added if need be.

You'll need Perl, Mplayer and Mencoder installed.
You might be interested in my own Perl-based command line encoder which automatically works out size based on aspect ratio, and has a number of presets to guarantee the output is always playable on a 770:

http://www.bleb.org/software/770/#encode

I've not yet enhanced it to allow the preset to specify the maximum frame rate, though this is a trivial enhancement to add.

Cheers,

Andrew

someone know how to panscan the video for fill in fullscreen ?
there is a panscan option with mplayer but it does not work with mencoder...

Originally Posted by Serge
I also used -ao sdl first, but found some problems with it on a few video clips (it was quite buggy). So now -ao esd is used by default.
Would I be right in thinking that there won't be a one-option-suits-all approach in the final version? i.e. there's no escaping having to use esd for some movies, sdl for others, etc?
By the way, I enabled wiki at garage and added some information about current command line options usage: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/wik...l&id=54&type=g
Nice one - are these appropriate for the 20060721 build? I tried the alternatives to the sdl ao option and playback was a lot worse for a 352x240 29.99fps 224kbps mp3 sound 2Mbps video MPEG1 file (enough description?!).

Have you looked at streaming yet? Using HTTP and Samba/CIFS to access the same file on my local network was very stuttery, even when specifying a large cache size. Once that's sorted, I'll never need to get out of bed again

Ignore the bit about appropriate settings - changing vo option from sdl to x11 improves things no end!

Serge . the reason i wanted to decode aac audio was so i could play google video for ipod and psp. it is not important now that ive been told how to download the flv files
thankyou

Hi there,

i got a " permission denied " when tryng to launch /.mplayer name.avi

What i'm doing wrong ?

Last edited by gfxman; 2006-07-26 at 01:45.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gfxman
What i'm doing wrong ?
Maybe you just forgot to read this thread from the beginning before asking questions? :-)

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Come let's help him ehehe let's not be so picky.

Once you've unpacked the .tar.gz you can find the mplayer executable on your current directory. Either you run it as:

./mplayer <options> <movie filename to open>

(and not /.mplayer as you wrote)

or copy it to /usr/bin so that you can run it wherever you are by simply typing:

mplayer <options> <movie filename to open>

Note: if you've unpacked it onto the memory card, then you can't run it as, for security reason I suppose, the Nokia 770 won't allow any executable to be executed from the memory card. In this case either you copy it into your home directory (cp ./mplayer /home/user) or copy it into /usr/bin as stated earlier in this post of mine.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by anidel
Come let's help him ehehe let's not be so picky.
You think it is better to write the very same instructions second or third time to the same thread and thus make the thread even longer and repetitive? It is so hard to read first before posting?

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I think it's a good thing to do when the thread becomes too long.
It's very time consuming start reading all the thread from the very beginning.
Moreover many information written in the first posts is usually out-of-date.
It's a good thing to do a search before posting. But usually the answer (as in this case) is split in several posts.
An answer like mine put it all together for an easier reading.

Last, but not less important, I think one should always help. Assuming the other part is not trying to be too lazy.

That's my opinion.

Many times I've found myself reading thru a whole thread and missing important pieces as they were buried into a long post. I am convinced that a summary every now and then helps a lot.

BTW, I totally agree with what you've stated. Even if it appears incongruent with what I've just written. I agree not to repeat answers and I agree that one has to read before posting. But there are cases where repeating an answer avoid wasting time to newcomers.