Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Preview?
Sorry, I meant the aggregated view or whatever it is called. On the main screen where it shows emails from all inboxes.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
A reboot may have that effect. As may the psychology of knowing your system has just been updated

Having said that, it does feel snappier. Looking at the changelog, it is kinda expected, seeing a lot of mostly system-level changes (as opposed to mostly UI changes in 1.1.9).

Let's see how it looks after a couple of weeks of use.
This. Improvement is partly new install and reboot and partly psychosematic. I'd wager that with a couple of days of use it'll be back to freeze-fest. Albeit OOM does appear better ....but they improved it and worsened it so many times now.

Objectively, native apps are still running painfully slowly compared to.Android apps in AD. There has been absolutely zero improvement here. It's still scraping the very bottom of the barrel.

Also battery drain is absolutely epic now.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-10-23 at 12:58.

Also they're making workflow even slower again and the UX even more inconsistent and confused. Why on Cyanogenmod / Android can I just swipe down from status bar at any time for quick settings and settings app. Swipe to notifications, swipe down, very limited toggles, swipe back to home screen, select settings (now hugely diminished in quickness of use). Then a load more taps to even adjust brightness. It's absolutely awful and keeps getting worse.

Glad I've now moved over to my N5 (CM).

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Your workflow must be very different from mine because I find mine sped up with the new UI. All settings are just a swipe away, maximum two.

However this...

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Why on Cyanogenmod / Android can I just swipe down from status bar at any time for quick settings and settings app.
...is a very valid point. I suspect the main reason we don't have that is the masses who would start shouting how bad it is because "it looks like Android".

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Few smal improvements that I noticed in da browser;
  • New tabs opened from a page are now inserted nicely after the current page in tabs listing, as before the went to the bottom
  • Tabs retain state and are not reloaded when you change from tab to tab (might be that was already fixed in previous releases, am not sure)

However the bug (in my opinion) that current tab is overwritten when you open an external link is still there... I`d like to see that opened in a new tab.

And OFC copy&paste is missing, has anybody tried to patch it in yet?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
...is a very valid point. I suspect the main reason we don't have that is the masses who would start shouting how bad it is because "it looks like Android".
Thanks for that +1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
What a struggle this is on Jolla: tap screen to bring up lock code, enter lock code, search for camera app cover or bring up grid and launch camera... A photographer's nightmare...
But the whole point of having a lock code is that nobody can do anything until the (correct) lock code has been entered!

I don't understand how (some) people want to have a lock code but at the same time want to have the possibility (for anyone!) to bypass it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
But the whole point of having a lock code is that nobody can do anything until the (correct) lock code has been entered!

I don't understand how (some) people want to have a lock code but at the same time want to have the possibility (for anyone!) to bypass it.
Seems like you're not familiar how iOS and any Android device out there handles the lockscreen...

You can have access to camera without having to enter your device lock. This means: You can quickly take pictures (like in an emergency or just to quickly capture the moment without hustling through the menus)

When you have access to the Camera, it won't let you access the pictures you've taken before, but ONLY the pictures you've taken at THAT moment.

Jolla could implement this feature by adding it through the pulley menu

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Why on Cyanogenmod / Android can I just swipe down from status bar at any time for quick settings and settings app.
There's been enough chat about this kind of request... why don't you vote/open a tjc supporting customisation of swipes? Maybe you want the events view from the top. I want to close applications with that swipe, not change settings - the settings application is for that.
Android needs quick access to certain settings because it sucks too much (e.g., I have to switch off Bluetooth for security reasons and to save battery all the time, or fiddle with rotation). The same goes for iOS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Sorry, I meant the aggregated view or whatever it is called. On the main screen where it shows emails from all inboxes.
No, it doesn't show them there. It's the events view (ie. swipe left edge from anywhere and it has the weather at the top). That's what is broke. It's showing a different set of unread emails to those in the email app and includes sub-folders such as Junk.

And CalDAV (to an Apple Calendar Server or iCloud.com) is still broken too but what's new.

The accounts setup is still an awful hack.

You can set up accounts, but not edit the setup afterwards.

You can Sync data but it'll not tell you it's doing it.

Deleting accounts has a non-standard remorse timer with an X.

Adding accounts is an option at the bottom of the list and not a pulley menu.

CalDAV and CardDAV are still merged into one account page requiring both to have the same server address.

If you've 3 CalDAV accounts and 2 CardDAV accounts, all on different servers, you end up with 5 identical icons named with the same email address as a username, not that you can edit them afterwards to any useful degree, but you've no idea which is which for manual syncs, which you won't know have happened anyway.

In the dim and distant past (the 1980s) I was a junior programmer and spent a while doing QA. This wouldn't have got past me then.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: