Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
getting a librem 5 and putting sailfish os on it, if that is what you wanted
oh no, I don't want a 5.7'' skateboard with 720p screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
oh no, I don't want a 5.7'' skateboard with 720p screen.
Keep wishing then, i'm sure one day you will get the unicorn if you wish hard enough

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
i STILL cant get over how they fricken advertised it as 5" and just changed it to 5.7" without even bothering to make an announcement or justify the decision or anything. they just pretend like "5 inches" means "you know, sort of 5-inch-like" and that they always meant it that way

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
i STILL cant get over how they fricken advertised it as 5" and just changed it to 5.7" without even bothering to make an announcement or justify the decision or anything. they just pretend like "5 inches" means "you know, sort of 5-inch-like" and that they always meant it that way
They have told that in a blog post as far as I remember.

The choise is probably because it is hard to get 5" this days? Ever heard of the world small volumes vs big volumes?

And since we talk about the HW:

For those who wonder about the CPU: We can't be sure it will be the same ARM core as the one used on devboard eg: iMX8M.

More realistic seems to be a iMX8M-Mini cause of the problems with iMX8M is eating to much power. There has been a blog post about the power problems last year. But my guess is people has forgotten it and people will soon whine about that also but hey is there something else we can choose? Just tell me... Maybe another CPU manufacturer? Maybe Allwinner LOL now try get techsheets from them in best case you get a google translate from chinese PDF. Qualcom? no way closed as heck. The one used in the RPI(Broadcom)? nope they want big volumes. TI naah to old CPU and also GFX closed.

So nope we are back on NXP land and iMX8 family or iMX6.

No someone will say there is a open competitor: Necuno mobile LOL. Open?? Nope something is really smoking ******** with their site and marketing.

The true is:

We should be happy Purism at least try make a open phone which is far from easy task. Indeed almost impossible. Many has failed already.

AFAIK librem5 is the most open hardware as far as I know. Not even rapberrypi can compare.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I also like the freedom, It's not just about how fast it is. It is about how well you use what you have.

Android software is getting slower every release.

Sailfish is still not open!
Can we even make a compatibility layer to run sailfish apps on GNU/Linux? (No proprietary software in a chroot)

Anyway, check out the dev board: here
Go big or go home

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to one_with_linux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
For those who wonder about the CPU: We can't be sure it will be the same ARM core as the one used on devboard eg: iMX8M.

More realistic seems to be a iMX8M-Mini cause of the problems with iMX8M is eating to much power.
That would be quite a bummer, since the Mini doesn't seem to have HDMI. [1]
What's Purisms take on that?

No someone will say there is a open competitor: Necuno mobile LOL. Open?? Nope something is really smoking ******** with their site and marketing.
Can you elaborate please?
I don't feel well informed about the Necuno at the moment, but that might be just my fault because without a GSM modem that device is of little interest to me.

AFAIK librem5 is the most open hardware as far as I know. Not even rapberrypi can compare.
What do you think of the Dragonbox Pyra in comparison to the Librem 5?
I know their concepts aren't totally comparable, but besides that, is there a reason you didn't mention it?

btw:
Do you know what happened to the Librem 11 detachable? It's been announced for how long now? 2 years?
What happened to it that resulted in it neither seeming to make any progress nor being cancelled?
I'd be fine with either of those options as long as there's info on that, but by now frankly I'd expect that info to be placed prominently on the product's page.

[1] https://www.nxp.com/products/process...rs:IMX8-SERIES

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There already is Rust bindings for QML, but also Gtk, the one I have tried is https://github.com/woboq/qmetaobject-rs. When/if I port sailserver to librem I will for sure write backend in Rust instead of C++. It is way easier and fun make a tinywebserver in C++ using already written framework such as actix-web. It can be really cool indeed since you may add your own templates and so on.
Offtopic a bit: I'm also watching this one and will try to get it running on Sailfish when the Qt version allows it (>= 5.8). According to latest resolved issues, seems it already runs on Ubuntu Touch. Very promising. Planning to rewrite Troll Bridge with it as I really don't like Go .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
New blog post, a retrospective of the dev kit development:
https://puri.sm/posts/how-we-designe...free-software/

I think that must be the first project with that much updates and openness I have seen. They have mostly kept the same updates rhythm all along the past year, and seem to continue to do so. Good !

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by one_with_linux View Post
I also like the freedom, It's not just about how fast it is. It is about how well you use what you have.

Android software is getting slower every release.

Sailfish is still not open!
Can we even make a compatibility layer to run sailfish apps on GNU/Linux? (No proprietary software in a chroot)

Anyway, check out the dev board: here
Go big or go home
"Oh boy, it looks great"

Would be even better if the LCD display actually worked.
Still waiting for that... Those damn display controllers... Often those are messy to get going on embedded products

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
New blog post, a retrospective of the dev kit development:
https://puri.sm/posts/how-we-designe...free-software/

I think that must be the first project with that much updates and openness I have seen. They have mostly kept the same updates rhythm all along the past year, and seem to continue to do so. Good !
Yup I like their are so open. They also answers questions on matrix channels.

Next time I buy a laptop I will buy it on puri.sm for sure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: