Ok, things are not as bad as they seem. The second powertop you pasted shows what I would expect the phone to be like from a fresh boot. That implies that there is not a rogue service on the loose. Now re-enable things 1 by 1 and check with powertop for each one.

With the phone in online mode (without a data connection) I would expect around 800-900 wake ups per second.

Connected to wifi I would expect that to go up to around 1400 wake ups.

i.e. Connect to wifi, check for wakeups. Success? Enable IM accounts, check. Enable modes, check.

I.e. slowly build your system back to what it was and check each piece as you add it. To make things easier you can run powertop with the parameter -t 15 however bear in mind that this will halve the number of wake ups measured (as it is measuring for half the amount of time!).

If you have enabled EVERYTHING and the system is still running clear then there is obviously some other far more subtle interaction.

I have found that if I have kernel-power-settings installed for some reason, under some circumstance that I have not yet realised (my notion is towards PC suite mode with wifi on) I get an extra 7000 hardware wakeups per second and DMA is through the roof. I have solved this by copying the kernel-power-settings script to /bin, removing the kernel power settings package and triggering my overclock profiles with dbus when the phone goes inactive (super low power underclocked mode) and normal when I unlock it again.

looking at your htop outut in the first post and comparing it to my device for the one day period. I must say these are your rouge processes:

lib/gconf2...
sbin/lcd...
sbin/ohmnd
sbin/cad

the main culprit though is:

/bin/dbus -daemon

it's freaking rouge man! what the hell @.@....how many apps do you have running in the background? try to reduce em the two other culprits are gconf2 & lcd.

You can tell by looking at the "time" area of htop, that they are up & running for too freaking long, thus causing your cpu to wake up and drain your battery, it's also the reason why your device is hardly ever in C4 state.....something(s) seems to keep these processes active by calling em constantly, thus keeping your cpu awake/active most of the time.

Last edited by SavageD; 2011-03-22 at 22:03.

C'mon, I am horny to know your results!

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
What would make this kind of pattern, that in the very moment you got away from wifi, and start to use 3g, exploded?

Maybe conversations had something corrupted?

I would try to remove all the programs (even opera) installed/updated from day 19 as in your list that you can recognize. Then, if everything still runs broken...

Question: Is this pattern always this way? I mean, whenever you enter in 3g the thing goes crazy, or it is always this way since day 16, 17:00pm?

Maybe what chemist said is not away from the truth...
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
(...)What connections do you keep open? Logoff your IMs and run powertop again (start it lock screen and kbd and wait 45seconds), if there is no change uninstall apps using the network connection one by one and run powertop in between so you get to know if it changed anything. (...) Is any other widget updating anything on the net? Is a ssh session open?

EDIT: could be a router setting you changed, what does it do with wifi offline?

Last edited by Temporal; 2011-03-23 at 16:00.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
yeah i'm high, high on lols. I was trying to incite you into having a mornington crescent-esqueOPOP conversation about why that photo was/was not shopped, alas you missed my que/bait.
Sorry I missed the bait. I also missed the meme, shame on me. Lets just say that on Monday morning I didn't take it too well when I found out.

Like when I told my boss he had the breath of a nob-gobbler just before resigning. He didn't take it too well either.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
is ur cpu running at full even when ur not doinf any thing on the phone

if you have catorise then uninstall it and see

Tags
battery, issues, powertop, problems, processes, runtime, uptime