Just added some stuff related to audio and how that is going to impact this project http://wiki.maemo.org/Porting/Audio

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Hi jonwil,

thank you for all your efforts.

I just looked at your version of the source code for mce.

Some time ago, I tried to get meego-mce version working for
Fremantle, too. Some modules are working (led, display, keypad) Some parts
are partly working (powerkey, even with powerkeymenu option, which was removed from meego-mce powerkey options).
And some aren't working or I did not tried them (inactivity, filter-brightness.).

How did you made your source version, it differs from meego-mce version,
just cut away the non fremantle parts?
And how did you get the source for the vibra-module (I didn't test this, yet.)?
I could not find anything in meego-mce or nemos mce
source (btw does anyone know if the vibra work in nemo mobile?)

Can you do the same for the other missing modules, accelerometer
and homekey(whereas I don't know for what homekey is good for)?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Have you thought about not restricting the hardware adaptation to Neo900, but supporting N9(50) too?
There are a lot of us with Harmattan devices laying around waiting for some fun project.

I personally won't buy Neo900 as I find N900 casing too bulky. But I would chip in some time to get Fremantle on N950.

Last edited by smoku; 2013-09-18 at 08:01.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
I cant remember anything useful about my MCE work, it was so long ago.
But I think it should be possible with a bit of reverse engineering from someone who knows what they are doing to produce a Maemo compatible MCE from the Meego code.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Just added some stuff related to audio and how that is going to impact this project http://wiki.maemo.org/Porting/Audio
I see two challenges if trying to use Fremantle audio stack as it.

First to, to use APE centric audio[1] model that was used in N900 you need to implement the libcmtspeech interface[2] for the new modem.

The second problem is the alsa mixers. If the used codec is not exactly the same then there is a need to emulate the necessary parts of the N900 alsa mixers and fake the rest.

Other option is just to drop the old stack and use pulseaudio as it is today, but then you loose audio policy.

Back porting Harmattan audio stack for Fremantle sounds like a viable, but very cumbersome option.

[1] In APE (application engine) centric audio the cellular call is routed via phone operating system audio stack (in N900 case trough pulseaudio).

[2] The libcmtspeech implements the interface for routing the cellular call audio to linux userspace. AFAIK the original code is opensource, but I have no idea when to find the Fremantle level sources.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oku For This Useful Post:
yeah I covered the various options in my wiki post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Have you thought about not restricting the hardware adaptation to Neo900, but supporting N9(50) too?
There are a lot of us with Harmattan devices laying around waiting for some fun project.
And what stops "you" from joining the project? The final goal aiui is to have fremantle opened further, so a HW adaptation and device package to be all needed for it to run on an arbitrary HW. Ofc the above oversimplifies the things, but still

I personally won't buy Neo900 as I find N900 casing too bulky. But I would chip in some time to get Fremantle on N950.
Feel free to join #maemo-ssu.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but why the resistive screen? This looks great, but that's just low tech

Like, the last thing I've seen with a resistive screen was a horrible budget android tablet at Walgreens and the Nintendo DSes, neither of I particularly want to use

Last edited by witheld; 2013-09-18 at 15:29.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Neither of those have the quality of the N900 resistive screen. Even subsequent Nokia phones didn't have very good resistives. Which makes me wonder if those aftermarket ones that will be bought for Neo900 will be up to par.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by witheld View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but why the resistive screen? This looks great, but that's just low tech
Capacitive is old lowtech, not resistive.
(capacitive touchscreens were developed in the early 70ties...)

Anyway, the resistive screen on the N900 and therefore Neo900, since it is exactly the same screen that you already are holding in your hand, is way more sensitive than an iphone for example, where you have to lick your fingers everytime before you touch the screen for it to react.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:

Tags
freejamesbrown, freemantle, freemantlegordn, fremantlegordon, neo900, the fptf