Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
To use the "end of recording" tag, it would need to generate a temporary file and rename it afterwards. Not a big change but a change nevertheless.
Yea,this is how I imagined it would be possible - but, to be honest, this thing is IMHO the very last priority feature, if it require too much work, putting only beginning of recording into name isn't bad, at all. The "start and end" thing was useful for easier recognition of recorded calls, aka "ah, this is the 30 minutes talk I had with them". Nothing critical for usage and for sure *much* less important than GUI-less daemon.

Thanks for looking into things (to both of you) and eagerly waiting for results BTW, recaller wasn't auto-recording SIP calls too, I hope that it won't bee too hard to implement, either...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Just one quick observation on the filenaming system. If you are not paying attention on the automatic scheme it is easy to get Orrechiette to overwrite your last recording (by forgetting to use for example the increasing number string), by only using for example date and phone number. There might be some word of warning for the possibility of overwriting or maybe automatically appended number string in case of overwriting? Just an idea, nothing critical. So far the Orrechiette just rocks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
I recently put Orecchiette to good use. I tried to make a backup of my main N900 with backupmenu, but it failed. So before flashing, I figured the best way to document the state of the system would be to make a full walkthrough of the phone and capture it in video.

Tell you what, Orecchiette performed great, and it was a pleasure to use.

The only enhancement I would add would probably be to replace the recording mode selection with three independent checkboxes (microphone, speaker, and screen). This would simplify the interface, and it would be more flexible (for example, I only needed to capture video for my use case).

Thanks for this great program, Copernicus!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
So before flashing, I figured the best way to document the state of the system would be to make a full walkthrough of the phone and capture it in video.

Tell you what, Orecchiette performed great, and it was a pleasure to use.
Privacy concerns aside, I would be really interested to see this video.
The N900 is such a versatile tool that I feel I could learn a lot from another users case and way of working.

Great software indeed! Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Privacy concerns aside, I would be really interested to see this video.
The N900 is such a versatile tool that I feel I could learn a lot from another users case and way of working.

Great software indeed! Thank you.
The thing is that the video has all my settings and contacts (not to mention it's over 500MB ).

But what it is, basically, is me going through the phone menus, applications, contacts, etc. I just had to scroll slowly because the CPU was pegged at 100% most of the time, and if you scroll at normal speed that tends to tax the CPU farther, causing gaps in the captured frames.

Of course, this N900 is stock 600Mhz, so with an overclocked N900 things would run even smoother. And if I had been able to just select video capture and not audio, the video should have been less than half the size, according to Copernicus' comments about the audio stream taking more space than the video stream itself. Hence my suggestion to make the settings three completely independent checkboxes.

This is an awesome program that saved me a lot of manual work.

EDIT: I forgot to agree with your comment about the N900 being a flexible and powerful tool. You are absolutely right. The N900 is like a huge Lego set that allows you to do so many different things. And it's just fun doing it!

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-17 at 16:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
The thing is that the video has all my settings and contacts (not to mention it's over 500MB ).

But what it is, basically, is me going through the phone menus, applications, contacts, etc. I just had to scroll slowly because the CPU was pegged at 100% most of the time, and if you scroll at normal speed that tends to tax the CPU farther, causing gaps in the captured frames.

Of course, this N900 is stock 600Mhz, so with an overclocked N900 things would run even smoother. And if I had been able to just select video capture and not audio, the video should have been less than half the size, according to Copernicus' comments about the audio stream taking more space than the video stream itself. Hence my suggestion to make the settings three completely independent checkboxes.

This is an awesome program that saved me a lot of manual work.

EDIT: I forgot to agree with your comment about the N900 being a flexible and powerful tool. You are absolutely right. The N900 is like a huge Lego set that allows you to do so many different things. And it's just fun doing it!
Sure I understand you are not going to post this video on youtube
As it stands it seems you need to strip out the audio track on a PC?

Or as Copernicus suggested, use a command to record video w/o audio:

Code:
gst-launch-1.0 -v ximagesrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=5/1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! dspmp4venc ! queue ! matroskamux ! filesink location=pathAndNameOfFile.mkv
I tried to video capture myself but the error "Unable to create Gstreamer element matroskamux" is preventing me pushing this 600Mhz monster to the edge..

Tried to change recording medium from internal to SD card but the error remains.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2014-10-18 at 07:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
@Copernicus
I can't say why... but during the last months recaller has become even more unreliable than before (seems impossible, but it happens)
Now if enabled freezes the device during most of calls.
The only solution i have found is to disable it completely. ...and ping you about orecchiette

Do you have any progress or plan to manage automatic call recording inside orecchiette enabling it from the status menu (or from the settings panel)?
It would be great if the naming schema had also the possibility to add the phone number to these recordings.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Do you have any progress or plan to manage automatic call recording inside orecchiette enabling it from the status menu (or from the settings panel)?
Well, I have to admit that I've put all my other projects on the back-burner for a while, as I've been trying my best to finish off another new project of mine...

I have been wanting to rework the Orecchiette UI for a while now, but just haven't had the time.

It would be great if the naming schema had also the possibility to add the phone number to these recordings.
Even better would be to add all the meta-data (phone number, time of day, possibly caller info) directly into the audio file itself; I studied up on this a bit last year, but never quite finished the work. Hopefully, I can get back to it once I make more progress on my current project...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Even better would be to add all the meta-data (phone number, time of day, possibly caller info) directly into the audio file itself; I studied up on this a bit last year, but never quite finished the work. Hopefully, I can get back to it once I make more progress on my current project...
I might be alone in this but I strongly disagree that tagging the audio with metadata is "an even better idea". File names are something immediately visible. They allow for sorting the recordings in a file manager. They do not rely on tracker or a similer third-party solution that understands the tags. They work regardless of the location (meaning, you can move the recording to a folder tracker does not monitor, or even to your PC or another device, and you will still know immediately all the important data about it). Last but not least, not all audio formats have the tagging capability.

I vote for file names. But whatever method you choose, Orecchiette will still need to have the capability to provide the info.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
In Preferences, the folder is not set after installing, which causes the recording to quietly fail. Similarly, if a folder has been selected, deleting it (the preference, not necessarily the folder itself) will also cause a failed recording. I suggest asking the user to select a folder if it's not set when the program starts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording