I've been using my n800 as my axim x51v replacement for over a month now, and am starting to slowly get used to it.

One thing that REALLY REALLY bugs me however, is that I have found no way to pre-amp music/videos that are very quiet.

With tcpmp, it was as simple as increasing the pre-amp setting and I could make movies as loud as I please (very handy when watching videos on the subway or other noisy environments).

Other than trying noise cancelation headphones etc, is there ANY way for me to boost the volume on the n800?

Re-encoding is not really an option - I don't want to have to re-rip videos just because they are quiet

Any help appreciated!!

Most of the audio player apps on the N800 have a built-in volume control which is separate from the system volume control. You can stack both to increase the volume by a larger amount. If you do that and your volume still isn't high enough, then your headphones are too inefficient to use with the N800. But all of my headphones work just fine with the N800, including Sennheiser, Yamaha, Apple and Centronics noise-cancelling headhpones.

Thanks DJames1, but I do have both volume meters cranked and sometimes (quite often to tell you the truth) have problems hearing audio.

I have several different headphones (most in the $50-$60 range) and none of them work better than the other.

The EXACT same headphones on my x51v worked like a charm... (sometimes needing a preamp)

The Following User Says Thank You to xhumeka For This Useful Post:
So far I haven't found anything that can do this either, but I've been struggling to find a decent media player full stop!

I wonder if we can get picard to port TCPMP to Maemo

We've a glut of these bloated flashy players; We need a more technical player - Smaller, not written in python, good equalizers+per-file presetting, peak and RMS normalizers/compressors, pre-amping, filtering, better buffering (Acid Test: Being able to surf with Web with OpenTTD running in the background, and no skipping!), better playlist and file picker handling, that sort of thing...

And also the exe should be less than 1MB and the plugins less than 2MB

Last edited by Cyker; 2008-02-25 at 21:35.

XMMS? Tried it yet?

Originally Posted by xhumeka View Post
Thanks DJames1, but I do have both volume meters cranked and sometimes (quite often to tell you the truth) have problems hearing audio.
Maybe it's your hearing - listen at high volume a lot, do you?

More seriously, most of the headphones I've tried with the N800 are fairly efficient, being designed for portable use. But my Yamaha headphones certainly aren't very efficient, and some of my devices like my phone and my GPS have trouble powering them adequately. Yet I haven't had any real problem with the N800. The volume setting needed varies fairly widely between different applications, but I have no trouble getting good volume with any of my headphones.

It therefore seems odd that you have tried several sets of headphones and none of them work well. Is this only when playing your own music files? How about when you play the FM radio, Nokia sample files etc? Is it possible that your files have the volume set too low and you haven't normalized them?

Music to be honest isn't a problem for me - i never need to have the volume at full setting.

It's the movies and tv shows I watch on the subway that are sometimes hard to hear. Most of them are o-k cranked, but quite often I'll try watching a movie on the subway and it's simply impossible for me to follow the conversation.

If I was watching videos in a library, it wouldn't be a problem - but on a busy subway you NEED to be able to pre-amp

Cranking up the headphone volume enough to hear a movie clearly in a noisy environment like the subway is not a good idea. It will cause hearing fatigue pretty quickly, and probably cause long-term damage your hearing if you keep it up.

A much better idea is to get noise-cancelling headphones (real ones, not cheap pseudo-noise-cancelling). Mine only cost $20 on a blowout sale, but you can routinely find some models on sale for around $40-$50. These headphones do a great job of cancelling out a lot of the ambient noise and making a movie intelligible without needing excessive volume. Plus they all have a built-in amp and line volume control.

Bumping the thread to find out if there are any fixes on this? Most of my movies/videos I need to be in a quiet environment to hear the conversations in the video.

By the way, which video player is the best?

Mplayer is the fastest one, but it's kind of buggy.

I know you don't want to read this but... until you find a solution why don't you buy an in-ear noise cancelation headphones?