recognized leading provider of voice, wireless and networking hardware for
the consumer and small business customer today announced a product bundle
entitled, "Go wireless at home", which includes the Nokia 770 Internet
Tablet bundled with either a Linksys high-speed wireless router or
gateway. This convenient and secure wireless Internet bundle has been
designed to provide freedom for home users who wish to access the Internet
using the Nokia 770 Internet Table...
Read the full article.

This is exactly what the 770 needs. I wonder how well the package will sell. I also wonder if they will do that same deal stateside.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Does anybody know if the 770's implementation of 802.11g can exploit either the Speedboost or MIMO extensions in the latest Linksys routers? I'm inclined to think not. Not yet. Speedboost (Linksys WRT54GS router) can only be exploited if you have a matching Linksys wireless card that supports the Speedboost extension and are running Windows XP. The speed increase is 35% if you can meet the 'requirements', i.e., your device has to implement the same protocol that the router does (Speedboost, MIMO, whatever).

The speed increase of MIMO over 802.11g is 100% (double) IF you have the matching GX card from Linksys or IF it's implemented in your device. The reviewers I've read really like MIMO. So does Nokia's investment group - it made a significant cash investment in Airgo, the MIMO pioneer. MIMO is twice as fast because it uses two of the three non-overlapping channels available in the b/g spectrum (1,6,11)

If your Internet link is only a dsl modem or cable modem then you won't see any improvement in accessing the Internet. The performance advantages of these new wireless standards only going to boost local network speeds. If you're streaming Video and you have it on both sides of the wireless connection then MIMO can pay off. It had better, since the MIMO router is about 4 times the price of the Linksys WRT54g router. I'd like to see a statement from Nokia that explains whether anything about the 770 can exploit either SpeedBoost or MIMO. I don't expect to see any mention of it, though. Without the 770 supporting anything beyond 802.11g nobody is going to get any improvement in speed or range from these latest Linsys routers that they were already getting from the WRT54g routers.

Then there's the issue of which WRT54 router, too. Until version 5 the router's firmware was based on Linux and could be overwritten with any of the several free versions of Linux firmware. If anyone buys a version 5 WRT make sure it's the WRT54gL version. Any WRT54 router with a lower version than 5 is OK, too, of course.

This is a big win for Linksys because Nokia has more sales outlets for its products than anybody on the planet.

If we see MIMO on a 770 or a 770 follow-up then high speed Video streaming over the local network will be something it's easily capable of. I'm thinking follow-up. When MIMO arrives for some future version of the 770 (assuming we won't see it on the 770) then wireless speeds will exceed the speed of Fast Ethernet and range will at least double.

Last edited by Remote User; 2006-04-11 at 23:42. Reason: Edit

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I can only hope that this time they found a router that works with the 770. I got my 770 bundled with a D-Link DI 514, and the two just dont work together (using WPA-PSK).

Thats a great marketing idea! But how much will this cost the end user?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Legodude522
Thats a great marketing idea! But how much will this cost the end user?
There are 4 different bundles which cost from 406 EUR to 487 EUR (Germany).
Speed Booster Router, Speed Booster Gateway, SRX Router, SRX Gateway

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by StevenS
There are 4 different bundles which cost from 406 EUR to 487 EUR (Germany).
Speed Booster Router, Speed Booster Gateway, SRX Router, SRX Gateway
Unless the 770 can actually handle the SpeedBooster or MIMO (802.11n) features the much more expensive SpeedBoost & MIMO routers offer no advantage over a $45 Linksys WRT54G router.

I wanted to post as a new item but don't have the permissions. So it will have to do here.

Google and Nokia announce a plan to jointly deliver an internet tablet. VOIP included.

Wall Stree Journal article here, but requires registration so I have no idea what is says.