Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Ubuntu Aquarius commercial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWuOSwg7e0g It's so nice you will watch it twice.
If we are to believe this commercial, then the Ubuntu Phone has only Foursquare integration

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
If we are to believe this commercial, then the Ubuntu Phone has only Foursquare integration
This!

I watched the ad and it was very nice and seemed like the phone has lots of integrated services. Then I wanted to check again which scopes they were showing, so I paused the video and was shocked to see that it is just one screen they are showing over and over again.

I'm not saying it's all they've got, but it shows the power of advertising

169 euros, jolla has to get its act together:

http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/Ubun...w-472789.shtml

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
There certainly are some hurdles to overcome - for the masses there are some missing must haves.

For Linux lovers, well we want it to be quite evidently a Linux system, don't we?

Active development so who knows? But getting a manufacturer's sustained interest is also key and I hope today started that process.

And yes, this does rather expose Jolla as too expensive. I wish them success tho'.

Last edited by handaxe; 2015-02-12 at 23:15.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Here is an unboxing video and some scopes shown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbNbdhoGS4

Seems a bit low on possibilities for now, but this is normal.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

To Jollas defense you can actually buy a Jolla but their price is a bit high. But what Jolla needs is a Hw partner. Ubuntu brand is a bit stronger and they have Bq and maybe Meizu and possibly a third one for American market.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
.. But what Jolla needs is a Hw partner. Ubuntu brand is a bit stronger and they have Bq and maybe Meizu and possibly a third one for American market.
Absolutely. If Ubuntu landed 3 hardware partners and straddled to the mid- (bq, ano) to high-end (Meizu, bq? ano) end of the market they would be significantly better placed than Jolla.

Jolla also needs to be promising and delivering a new device besides the tablet. Phones are where it is at, at the moment.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
and here we go again

about scopes, I don't like them, not a bit. I'm very well organized, I know exactly what I want and where to look for it so this modern "you also might be interested in" approach annoys me a lot.
Oh I agree completely, I don't like to be pushed either. But I also agree with Aegis, and the fact that the idea of aggregations on the home screen, and the phone interface actually centered around them, makes perfect sense.

I didn't know that Jolla didn't implement the same plugin system as in Harmattan, as it was what made the Meego concept so interesting. I really wish they open their API's.

Anyway, I finally don't care that the sale was so quick. I documented myself and found that Ubuntu is not my philosophy. They disregard where they come from to create a mainstream ecosystem. It's nice to attract new users to Linux, but if it's to make of it a consumer platform just to actually please people (sheeps ?) that want google or nothing, I don't know if I like what they're doing.

Could it be that they're eventually making more harm than good ??

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy_locke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
no it can't. It will bring more customers to the table, more Hw manufacturers and more success given that they manage to provide applications to the mainstream services lIke streaming, sharing and communications.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

well, I'm not so sure. I think that jolla for 250€ is quite good deal now, better than aquaris, and if nothing more, it is available.
If you compare specs vs. price than probably not, but it's not all about the money. That kind of thinking actally brought us to this lousy situation, race to the bottom made all products worthless, no matter how much you pay, nothing is future proof, no support from manufacturers and even top models of whatever are obsolete after a year or so.
And don't forget that jolla is is jolla, there's no jolla in different case with different branding while this aquaris is most likely the same as who knows how many other micro brands out there. Just different case and branding.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: