Notices

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy

I have improved and adapted pyOBD (OBD diagnostics for ECU cars) to work with Bluetooth devices connected to n900.

With my Bluetooth ELM adapter works.

The package name for maemo is "pyobd" (the same).

Remember:
1) wxPython libreries are needed (20MByte)
2) I added several OBD codes, but this application, as the original, has several limitations.
3) Please, remember thath pyobd is under GNU License:

Copyright 2004 Donour Sizemore (donour@uchicago.edu)
Copyright 2009 Secons Ltd. (www.obdtester.com)

pyOBD is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

pyOBD is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with pyOBD; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

Reference and information about pyOBD:
http://www.obdtester.com/pyobd
http://www.secons.com

Debian and sources:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/pyobd/

Screenshots:

tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

Last edited by m750; 2012-03-07 at 19:46.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
It worked right off the bat!

Congratulations, you have created the first OBD application to connect up & work reliably for the N900 & my standard orange-label ELM-327 bluetooth dongle!

It even shuts off the bluetooth when it closes, so no need to worry about additional power usage! Far more clean & neat than Carman's leaving GPS on, etc.

My notes:
1. I already had my ELM-327 bluetooth dongle entered as a trusted device in the N900.
2. It was necessary to set the N900's bluetooth config to "Visible" in order to connect with the dongle I have.
3. After pyOBD is started, if you go to the OBD menu & click "connect" even if you have connected to a particular BT OBD dongle before, it does not connect. Status remains on "Connecting..." & does not time out or error message.
4. It seems to be necessary at each start to use "Search BT". A status bar with "Searching BT device..." comes up then disappears. After a wait, another status bar comes up with "Found a BT device". This status message will be followed by a configuration screen if the device can be used by pyOBD, otherwise, nothing happens afterwards. The "Found a BT device" status message has even come up in a room with no BT devices in it. It might be useful to display some status message after "Found a BT device" if connection cannot proceed to the configuration screen for whatever reason, so the user will not wonder if he should wait longer, or if the program has hung, etc.
5. After the config screen for the BT device comes up and OK is selected, it does not automatically connect to the BT device. It might be useful to have another button to go directly to "Connect" from the BT device screen to eliminate confusion to the user and increase speed of use.
6. After the "Search BT" routine completes with "Found BT device" and then the BT device config screen finishing with OK, then the "Connect" selection under OBD-II is used. The wait for connection I experienced was about 30 seconds.

Other than a little wrestling with wondering what the BT connection required of me & the N900, and wondering if everything was OK during the waits, it worked great!

Short version to get it going:
1. Pair your BT dongle with the N900 from the N900's BT config screen accessed from the N900's status bar. Set the BT config to "Visible".
2. Start pyOBD
3. Under OBD-II, select "Search BT". Wait up to 30 seconds between events for sequence of: status bar "Searching BT device", status bar "Found BT device", and config screen for found BT device. Click OK on config screen.
4. Under OBD-II, select "Connect", & in about 30 seconds the pyOBD's status will show it is connected.
5. Enjoy the pyOBD readouts of the OBD-II data.

As a strange addition to pyOBD's success, for the first time Carman is semi-reliably connecting & running. Whether it's something pyOBD brought with it, or learning through the less complex pyOBD that the N900's bluetooth config must be set to "Visible", or whatever, Carman is now connecting to this BT OBD-II dongle. Although you have to push Carman's "connect", watch it fail to connect, push connect again, & watch it always connect on the second try.

At any rate, pyOBD is much more useful for diagnostic use with its full complement of data sets from the OBD-II port.

Congratulations, M750!

Last edited by rotoflex; 2011-12-27 at 09:10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
New version available in extras-devel

- Added some status bar messages/banner
- Changed some menù/status bar messages
- Added some cars manufacter OBD-Codes

Please, remeber that it is a "rude" adaptation of the origial project to work with BT dongle.

Last edited by m750; 2011-12-27 at 21:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
this is great

The Following User Says Thank You to The Winter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...now only the car has finally to be purchasable

The new version is a very good improvement on making the BT connection understandable!

My congratulations again on being the first to make a successful, reliable BT OBD data application!

Suggestions:
1. After the user clicks [OK] on the configure screen, put up a message like "Go to Connect to ECU to begin" or something so the user will not wonder if it is already connected or what to do next.
2. pyOBD can detect a BT device that it cannot connect to, so it might help if every 15 seconds it has not connected it displays the "Connecting" message, and then at 45 seconds if it cannot connect displays an "Unable to connect" message & stops trying. This will keep the user from wondering if it is able to connect or not.
3. If "Disconnect" is clicked either while pyOBD has successfully been connected, or if it is still in the "Connecting" loop, a "Disconnecting" message should display. Now, when "Disconnect" is selected, there is no acknowledgment that it is disconnecting, & the Link State value continues to display "Connected" or "Connecting".

You say it is only a "rude" adaptation, but it performs very nicely. Looks good, easy to understand, & even pretty fast! Very well done.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Version 0.9.2-5 in extras-devel.
Added, as required, more messages during connection with BT and ECU.
I can't add more messages during the BT pairing. This process is managed by n900s operating system.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
0.9.2-5 is awesome.

There is no guesswork, confusion, or worry about making the connection. It proceeds practically automatically.

This is a very well-finished application. It requires no outside hints to make it work, it is intuitive for the user, it does exactly what it is supposed to, & its operation feels quick & effortless.

I am examining it to find any problems at all, & the only thing I notice is that in Help->About This Program, the text does not scroll & it is cut off at the bottom of the screen. It is not a functional issue.

Again I must say how impressive not only the application itself is for its cleanliness & functionality, but also impressive is the fact that you have devised a straightforward & reliable N900 BT connection routine for it. I have seen in threads for other BT-related apps difficulties with connection and intermittent success, but yours is reliable & worry-free.

0.9.2-8 in extras-testing.
- added more OBD codes
- corrected the bugtracker
- now the app don't crashes if it receives a code not present in its database.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post:
Can you provide the link to vote this from extras-testing to extras?