Notices

Has anyone seen anything yet in the process for making maybe a theme creation tool, or at least new themes? The device only comes with 4 different ones, which are almost all the same.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Northwich, Cheshire, UK
That's just being picky - the man's got a device, most of us haven't!!!

I'd take one now with whatever themes are going!

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Ditto fermunky's comment - IMHO the current themes waste a fair bit of screen space with big chunky icons (like the bookmarks icon for example) - I'd like to see (or be able to make myself!) some 'lite' ones and or some funky mac or firefox inspired themes

The current themes are only really colour variations of one theme... (I like the red ones best - the blue ones look very 'grey' - if that makes sense!) hopefully soon we'll see a maemo/'Internet Tablet 2005' section on http://themes.freshmeat.net/

Does anyone know how they are put together, were the files are?

Originally Posted by martymcr
Does anyone know how they are put together, were the files are?
You can find the themes in '/usr/share/themes/'. To put a theme on your mmc, execute this command in the X terminal:

cp -r /usr/share/themes/theme1/ /media/mmc1/

To find out how to modify the themes, you should search for some info about changing a 'normal' gnome theme. (I think the maemo themes will work the same way.)

Can you recommend an X terminal client for windows? Apologies if I have the terminology wrong but presumably I need one of these to connect to the 770 and modify files?

Yeah I've been upgraded to 'member' status instead of 'junior Member' god I'm so sad for noticing this!

Originally Posted by martymcr
Can you recommend an X terminal client for windows? Apologies if I have the terminology wrong but presumably I need one of these to connect to the 770 and modify files?
You have to install an X terminal on your 770. You can find it here. One big problem will be to add your own theme in the /urs/share/themes/ folder. To copy files to it, you need to be root, which isn't possible without this. If you want some sample 'real' gnome themes, you should check out http://art.gnome.org/

Damn, I hate having to flash my device to get a root account. Does anyone know why Nokia blocked that root account??

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Nah, RealNitro means you type it into the XTerm on your 770 - download the .deb package from the application catalogue on maemo.org

The command above copies one of the themes to your memory card so you can download it over the USB connection.

I just did it (works fine) - man there are a lot of files (459 images and 8Kb of XML)! There could well be tools to help you with this, but even if you just want to edit the current theme so change colours etc, it's gonna be a long session with the GIMP! (or Photoshop if you're so inclined )

You'd really want to be able to edit a whole screen at a time and later chop it all up automatically, as well as generating (rather than editing by hand!) the required XML.

I haven't read up on it yet, but in the meanwhile, any suggestions on how to go about this?