I think one of my 2gb SDs is corrupted.

I've tried file transfers from my laptop to my N800. I used the PC's "Stop" process on the USB's "mass storage" (N800) drive and it tells me it is OK to disconnect the USB device. But the N800 gave a corrupted memory card message when I unplug it.

Should I have to wait longer for the N800 to somehow disconnect itself?

Now the card (1 of two 2gb cards) flakes out when I try to access it, causes the N800 to dim out/shut off and necessitating it's removal and re-inserting the battery. The PC won't recognize tme SD when I try to access it via a separate USB card reader.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I've had this happen once and started to panic. I checked to make sure it was seated in the internal bay and haven't had a problem since. I hope your issue is as easily resolved.

I've had a few 'wierd' occurances, that haven't been consisant enough to report on. I'll have it setting on my desk and notice that it's rebooting. My back plate doesn't fit firmly and I suspect my battery comes loose.

I've tried switching the cards around in the N800, and still hangs up in both the laptop and the N800. Substituting the old 64Mb card, I can access them again normally on the laptops USB - BUT, I still get the "USB still connected" message on the Nokia, even after using the USB Stop function on the laptop!

I guess my bigger concern is where the N800 Users Guide says that it's possible to damage both the card AND the device with Hot Disconnects...

Originally Posted by lad View Post
I still get the "USB still connected" message on the Nokia, even after using the USB Stop function on the laptop!
This may be the crux of your issue. Have you phisically disconnected the USB micro cable from the Nokia? The cards are not available to the Nokia while it's in 'peripheral' mode.

Assuming you have, then 'something' is making it think you haven't. I don't think there is a physical switch that detects the micro USB connection, so there may be a short in the USB connector causing some 'pesence'.

Originally Posted by lad View Post
I guess my bigger concern is where the N800 Users Guide says that it's possible to damage both the card AND the device with Hot Disconnects...
Obviously no one is going to recomend hot disconnects on the chance that you are writing to the device at that moment. Possibly without your knowlege like windows writing that stupid Thumbs.db file.

I haven't had any issue with waiting before unplugging.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2007-12-14 at 17:53.

I just checked, pushing on the internal SD card with the machine running gives me the 'SD card corrupt or unreadable' message. I'm guessing your SD card isn't seated firmly enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheGogmagog For This Useful Post: