Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
What ever OS is chosen, I hope that it is self contained and capable to the point I can write, compile and run an app on the device. That is, use vim or other standard linux editors and a "make" command to compile.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
What ever OS is chosen, I hope that it is self contained and capable to the point I can write, compile and run an app on the device. That is, use vim or other standard linux editors and a "make" command to compile.
While that is great and agree with that. I want the device to come with the most user friendly OS available so I can recommend the device to more people here at TMO and in real life. And also get an easier time to find potential backers. While a geek device is cool and all, we are not enough to make it happen.

That means android or sailfish. While I don't like it currently, it's basically the only path currently. But sailfish has a long way to be able to handle a landscape qwerty slider.

And to be honest. The hardware is much more difficult issue. Where to find a working slider mechanism?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-22 at 17:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
But sailfish has a long way to be able to handle a landscape qwerty slider.?
What is the actual support to this statement? Have you tried using Sailfish on the first Jolla smartphone coupled with the TOHKBD? It was actually as close as it gets to a N900 experience in my opinion, except from the general bulkiness, the concern of dropping the phone when it just holds with magnets, the fact that I still preferred the feeling of the keys on the N900, and the lack of stylus (but admittedly none of these limits were related to the OS).

As for the slider mechanism, Chen knows where he's headed according to the details he gave before (close to the mechanism already seen on an HTC device, with tilt adjustment and not just a slider). Not saying it will be easy, but at least he knows exactly what difficulties he will face and probably has a plan on how to circumvent them.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
Personally i prefer Harmattan over Maemo/SailfishOS/Android, so maybe part of the campaign's funds should be spent on hiring some blackhat to steal sources from Nokia ;-)
]
It's good to hear about n950/lauta design. Keep this design in pair with quality(titanium body[not alu] or polycarbonate[better signal handling] and it will be success. Like others already mentioned add SDCard port, Amoled
screen, 3.5mm jack and maybe 2xUSB-C OTG ports and I will happily replace my n9 with it :-)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
While that is great and agree with that. I want the device to come with the most user friendly OS available so I can recommend the device to more people here at TMO and in real life. And also get an easier time to find potential backers. While a geek device is cool and all, we are not enough to make it happen.

That means android or sailfish. While I don't like it currently, it's basically the only path currently. But sailfish has a long way to be able to handle a landscape qwerty slider.

And to be honest. The hardware is much more difficult issue. Where to find a working slider mechanism?
I dunno Dave999. Folks in "real life" already have enough options. This one should be just for us and, if it's good enough, more folks will come on board with time.

I do like the idea of Harmattan...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
What is the actual support to this statement? Have you tried using Sailfish on the first Jolla smartphone coupled with the TOHKBD? It was actually as close as it gets to a N900 experience in my opinion, except from the general bulkiness, the concern of dropping the phone when it just holds with magnets, the fact that I still preferred the feeling of the keys on the N900, and the lack of stylus (but admittedly none of these limits were related to the OS).

As for the slider mechanism, Chen knows where he's headed according to the details he gave before (close to the mechanism already seen on an HTC device, with tilt adjustment and not just a slider). Not saying it will be easy, but at least he knows exactly what difficulties he will face and probably has a plan on how to circumvent them.
Basically from using jolla1 in landscape. Try that. Start with unlock your device with a code...

Nerver tried HTC slider but to me that sounds, tricky and expensive. But yeah. Good IF he has an Idea that can be relizied.

I dunno Dave999. Folks in "real life" already have enough options. This one should be just for us and, if it's good enough, more folks will come on board with time.

I do like the idea of Harmattan...
So you suggest we should not push it to real life but only as a ghost in this forum, like fiction of our collective imagination

If this one is for us only 300-400 supporters. Then we have to be ready to pay Approximately 2000 Euro each

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-22 at 18:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
you could go with Android (whichever version AOSP, Lineage, etc.) and then talk to Jolla about a system like the Xperia X, if they'll go for it.

Out of interest which SoC is it?, Snapdragon 430, 600 series?

Also what screen is it, AMOLED, LCD? In either case can you make sure it has Panel Self Refresh, for better power efficiency. I *think* the JDI (LCD) displays might have that by default these days, but not sure.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Basically from using jolla1 in landscape. Try that. Start with unlock your device with a code...

Nerver tried HTC slider but to me that sounds, tricky and expensive. But yeah. Good IF he has an Idea that can be relizied.

So you suggest we should not push it to real life but only as a ghost in this forum, like fiction of our collective imagination

If this one is for us only 300-400 supporters. Then we have to be ready to pay Approximately 2000 Euro each
Gotta pay to play!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Gotta pay to play!
I thought so too. But then I met Jolla and apperently they don't. If they would have been a one man compony, fine. But the where a multimillion company with 100 plus stuff...

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
But how relevant is it? You should probably not base all your assumptions about the capability of Sailfish handling a landscape keyboard slider... On your experience using Sailfish in landscape without the keyboard.

The tohkbd really helped a lot in all ways, from just handling the device without an awkward uncomfortable grip (since you don't risk touching or obstructing the screen by mistake) to general use with the key input. Things like Alt+Tab or ability to type codes with the hardware keys really change the experience, and Dirkvl and Kimmoli managed to have them very well integrated in Sailfish. Heck, Sailfish even started to support hardware keyboards in the Input section of the settings in a later update.

From my experience with the Jolla+tohkbd, I can tell Sailfish is not bad at all for handling a landscape keyboard slider (I don't even see how Android would do better), and it does not cripple it either. You can still use it in portrait mode with the touchscreen without any sacrifice (which was not the case in Maemo 5, despite all the good things I think about Maemo 5, it did not shine by its portrait mode capabilities). I think this is what the Lauta is about: a landscape keyboard slider with a modern OS (not something limited to hackers, but compatible with them) and still an everyday "smartphone".

About Harmattan, I'm not sure it's an option. Is it fully open and maintained? I loved Harmattan (except the Aegis blob), but even if it could be ported, we don't want something that is not maintained anymore and will bring tons of security flaws or be incompatible with newer protocols and applications.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-22 at 20:23.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen