Vest guess, tar was not created, preserving permissions,

tar cvpzf .....

Or, during extraction
tar xpvzf ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Hyderabad
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Ah! I configured it again with the en_US.UTF-8 and had no success. I rebooted in Maemo to connect the µSD to my computer in storage mode, and did a "sudo chmod -R 777 ." in /media/KaliN900 (where the corresponding partition is mounted on my computer). I rebooted the phone, launched Kali N900 again, was not asked to configure anything, and now I have an UI and can enter my username and password!

I doubt what I did is safe though, but it might help pinpointing the issue. Any advice would be welcome. Turns out I might have broken sudo by doing that, among other things.

(And I have the same Netdev issue as you.)
I have modified the fist post, please download the compressed image file and write it to your sdcard. This will erase all your existing partitions on the sdcard. If everythng works fine you can create more partitions and install debian or other OSs.

The Following User Says Thank You to rapol.goutham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Hyderabad
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Vest guess, tar was not created, preserving permissions,

tar cvpzf .....

Or, during extraction
tar xpvzf ....
tar file is working fine, I am not able to recreate the issue you are facing. I replaced tar with disk image file, now file permissions will be intact and it will be much safer than tar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rapol.goutham For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rapol.goutham View Post
I replaced tar with disk image file, now file permissions will be intact and it will be much safer than tar.
Thanks!
I realized I had all kinds of problems in Kali from using the tar file (wrong icons, network manager was acting funny, shutdown from user menu was not working etc.). After starting over with the disk image things seem finally to be working sanely.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks. Kali now installs fine and I can log in. Unfortunately, after 2 to 3 seconds, it automatically turns off (the shutdown procedure lines are displayed, it's not just a hard reboot). It shuts down by itself, it's not related to any action.

Was the following command correct?

sudo dd if=~/Desktop/kali-rolling.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

/dev/sdb is my µSD after I formatted it in a single Ext4 partition (/dev/sdb1).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Thanks. Kali now installs fine and I can log in. Unfortunately, after 2 to 3 seconds, it automatically turns off (the shutdown procedure lines are displayed, it's not just a hard reboot). It shuts down by itself, it's not related to any action.
I can report the exact same thing. Now with the image the installation works OK but a few seconds after logging in it shuts down.

I'll see if I can have a look off-line. Is this using systemd or sysvinit as pid 1?

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I can report the exact same thing. Now with the image the installation works OK but a few seconds after logging in it shuts down.

I'll see if I can have a look off-line. Is this using systemd or sysvinit as pid 1?
After trying this and that (suspected systemd, then UPower, then lack of RAM), I logged in as root (something I haven't done in many many years!) and it didn't shutdown.

I've now setup WICD to connect to my AP, which it will hopefully do early enough so I can ssh in before logging in as user and see why this happens.

Other than that, pretty cool!

Add.:
OK, I've created a swap partition to make sure if wasn't lack of RAM. I've also enlarged the partition because it is full already from the beginning. But still logging in as user causes a shutdown. Now even logging in as root I get a shutdown.

@rapol.goutham: why Kali? they obviously mess up an otherwise functioning Debian. Could you do all this with Debian instead?

Last edited by reinob; 2016-04-01 at 14:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Logging in as root always resulted in shut down for me too. I had not mentioned that in my previous post, sorry.

Your first session as root with no shut down suggests that the pattern is not so easy to reproduce or so automatic, but I honestly don't know what could trigger the shut down (at least, I can confirm it's not a action from the user, since I did not get the time to do anything after logging in).

after 2 to 3 seconds, it automatically turns off
I haven't experienced this. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I expanded the ext4 partition and created the swap partition(s) before my first boot to Kali.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
I haven't experienced this. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I expanded the ext4 partition and created the swap partition(s) before my first boot to Kali.
I didn't yet figure out what the problem is, but I've since then uninstalled lightdm so I boot to the virtual terminal. Using startx, as root or as user, seems to work fine.

I now want to see if I can implant this on a N900 where the microSD card reader isn't working, i.e. installing this directly on the eMMC.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:

Tags
kali armhf, kali latest, kali n900, kali rolling