Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
About 9 years ago, when I was in Iceland, I ate Puffin for dinner. Now I feel guilty...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...g-iceland.html
Why do you feel guilty?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Contributing to the demise of the Puffins. Plus the dish didn't even taste that good...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Contributing to the demise of the Puffins. Plus the dish didn't even taste that good...
https://www.rspb.org.uk/join-and-don...ke-a-donation/

Thanks. I would consider but I'm trying to save money for Samsung's folding phone.

Thanks. I would consider but I'm trying to save money for Samsung's folding phone.
I have currently left the road of using the latest stuff. More of a garbage collector currently.

Why do you need a foldable phone?

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-09-06 at 21:09.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I have currently left the road of using the latest stuff. More of a garbage collector currently.

Why do you need a foldable phone?
Would you believe the coolness factor...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQ7SlvYMzk#

Anyone know how far we can go into deep space before we lose communication?

What year will we leave the galaxy behind?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Anyone know how far we can go into deep space before we lose communication?
A silly question. That depends on the power and how well you can focus the beam. With a strong enough laser, I see no reason why there should be any limit at all.

Of course, there are challenges:
1. Tracking might be tricky, although by the time we have to think about things like that I expect such things to be sorted out.
2. With a growing distance you increase the chance of large objects moving in the line of sight between earth and the spacecraft, so expect the communication to be intermittent until the object moves out again.

What year will we leave the galaxy behind?
I expect never. The earth, within a few decades. The solar system, by the end of this century. The galaxy, never.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
A silly question. That depends on the power and how well you can focus the beam. With a strong enough laser, I see no reason why there should be any limit at all.

Of course, there are challenges:
1. Tracking might be tricky, although by the time we have to think about things like that I expect such things to be sorted out.
2. With a growing distance you increase the chance of large objects moving in the line of sight between earth and the spacecraft, so expect the communication to be intermittent until the object moves out again.

I expect never. The earth, within a few decades. The solar system, by the end of this century. The galaxy, never.
Good answer. Since it’s really few big things in space it would be fairly easy to communicate when we leave galaxy.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
With current understanding of the laws of nature the timescales @pichlo presents are very correct. "we" (which I am using here as a loose definition of human-heritage-civilisation which might not be based on the same substrate as current humanity) are not going to leave this galaxy ever, peroiod.

On the other hand it is very probable that spreading to other star systems happens in the near future. (again, "near" meaning the next few millenia)
This is however going to be pretty much a one-way trip, don't expect to ever be able to shuttle back and forward between star systems. Also the communication lag will get larger as the influenced sphere grows larger so there's never going to be a "Galactic Empire" of any kind, only a collection of separate star systems sharing a common heritage but drifting culturally apart from each other century by century until at some far point even the common origins will be forgotten.

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson