Notices

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
But that actually varies by country (Germany have it swapped and use green on highway instead).

That's new to me. I have never seen green street signs here in Germany.

A lot of blue and yellow ones. But green???

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I have never seen green street signs here in Germany.
Damn, if only I could remember The last time I drove through Germany was in summer 2017. But I know that e.g. Slovakia uses blue signs on normal roads and green on motorways, while the UK exactly the opposite.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
+1 for making street sign colors fit the current location.
It would be a really nice touch.
If the current country code is known to PureMaps, it would be really nifty to even auto switch colors if you pass borders
Albeit a settings option would suffice i guess.

One more thing, in landscape the instructions box on top covers much screen estate with its horizontal black box/bar.
I tend to switch off the box to have more map displayed.
The map however is not profiting from having that much width in landscape. There is not much usefull info on the far left and right of the map. Imo a square map is ideal for driving because it covers both cases.
1. Wanting to see what is left or right of your position in case of turning. And 2. having a decent far view when going straight.
Maybe in landscape have the instructions in a column on the left or right with 1/3 or 1/4 of screen width.
Or have you tried and discarded for some reason like character flow or too long words?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
All, thank you for ideas and list! DrYak, the following were filed:

https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/76
https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/77
https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/78
https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/79

Sign colors could be different. I saw MapQuest API had support for it, I'll have to see whether we can ask Valhalla devs to support it as well. Same probably with the speed sign (US vs EU).

Re auto scale: would be good to implement - have been thinking about it earlier.

Signaling when speed exceeds more than 5mh/h - let's see when/if we get there. Skipping for now, maybe later if all starts demanding it (see below)

Re fish-eye: would require changes in MapboxGL. Probably should file there.

Easter eggs - sure!

I am swamped for few weeks with porting Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server to Linux desktop. This is a part of an effort to bring the maps to Librem 5 (Puri.sm team got in touch with me after r0kk3rz advertisement, thank you!). So, I'll be working with the designers behind L5 and I would expect many useful recommendations from them. Maybe we can also figure out what to do with the landscape mode.

Current work is on moving Silica-dependent parts into separate folder and then have, through such separate folders, support for Sailfish, desktop, and L5. In practice, I expect that SFOS end-users will not even notice that they run cross-platform apps. Something along @MartinK universal components (same basic idea), but tailored originally only towards two applications. Let's see if I can later join that code with UC's.

In the end, I expect that this time investment (in addition to fun), will pay off by having more people using the same application and, one can hope, more developers working on different aspects of the map applications (client and offline server).

Re landscape mode: yes, I was thinking how to use left/right. That's why speed, speed limit, signs, and time/distance left are on the sides. Full street name will not fit there, though. Already now, in some places, next maneuver street names could be cut on the top. Although, its not as short as in portrait.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Regarding screen estate, I have a suggestion lined up that I have been working on for a couple of weeks now. It is not quite finished yet; when it is, I can attach an RPM with the patch. It may take a week more though because there are far too many modules that need to be touched. Here is a little teaser.
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Regarding screen estate, I have a suggestion lined up that I have been working on for a couple of weeks now. It is not quite finished yet; when it is, I can attach an RPM with the patch. It may take a week more though because there are far too many modules that need to be touched. Here is a little teaser.
@pichlo, great that you started working on it! Looking forward to see more

I am going through the whole QML code right now to separate Silica-dependent code. There are many changes, as you can imagine, so, all patches will fail as soon as I merge that work into the main tree (its currently on the branch quick). But, we'll find the way to resolve the conflicts and maybe rewrite your patch into the new system. I'll be happy to help with it. [Advantage - we should be able to work on PCs, no need to test while developing on phone].

@pichlo, I wonder how the speed limits and signs fit now in that patch. Note that you could use developer option in Preferences (location at the center of the screen) to test navigation. Just disable GPS, enable that option, and start moving the map. Your location will change accordingly. In navigation mode, the "center" is towards the bottom of the screen.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Pichlo, the speedometer placement left center is really good regarding readability! Indeed much better than my halve arsed gauge.
Only the new horizontal top "row" could use some centering imo.
As the round icons already have perfect spacing i would suggest to center the new box and text horizontally to the center of the two round icons left and right.
The resulting top spacing to the new box will lighten up the design a little as the box now feels forced to the top imo. Also if a road is straight north and would be covered by the box, a top spacing would add a little advantage in seeing e.g. there is no turn "behind the box" but the road continues straight.
Thanks for your work and posting it. It literally kept me away from mocking up a very similar suggestion and wasting time. And you already did the code. Niice!
And thanks rinigus for your verbosity again.
Very interesting.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Only the new horizontal top "row" could use some centering imo.
I am open to suggestions. Could you please clarify what you mean? It is centered on the map part of the screen, with a fixed width that equals what its width would be in portrait orientation.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
I wonder how the speed limits and signs fit now in that patch.
Yeah, I am wondering that too. As I said, I started off assuming only one or two modules would require changing but as of today, I already had to update at least eight. Minimal changes in most of them, just anchor left or anchor top, but it is a change nevertheless. The reason I have not finished yet is that I am not sure whether I have updated all of them and in all possible scenarios. There are some visual elements I know exist but I have never managed to see. Or at least not in any kind of predictable way. For example the speed limit sign. So I have no way of checking they are displayed properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I did not see the circles have different horizontal alignment until i drew the helping line.
I am with the second option, the top spacing is quite even with the spacing of the bottom icons.

EDIT, looking at the mock up again, now the direction arrows top left in the black column should have the same top spacing like the elements in the map area.
See 3rd picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by mosen; 2018-10-11 at 08:21.

Oh, I see! You mean aligned vertically! Thanks

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: