Now that real SIP (not gizmo) support has come to the N800, only one thing remains for me to be head over heels happy with my N800: Encrypted VOIP.

Skype does not count, as they are using a closed, and rather suspect crypto scheme.

Phil Zimmermann, the creator of PGP, has a free software tool out called Zfone (http://zfoneproject.com/). It's super cool, and plays well with all the SIP clients out there. It's open source (in fact, he doesn't ship a linux binary, only compile your own source).. and it needs an N800 port.

I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to porting apps.

So instead, I'll put my money where my mouth is, and offer $25 to the first person who gets zfone working on the N800. I know it's a small amount, but I'm a graduate student. Hopefully, others will chip in too.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I hadn't heard of this before. Great idea. I've posted a bug to the rtcomm portion of the Maemo bugzilla as a feature request to add into the new built-in SIP client on the N800. You can find the feature request here: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1668

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-07-17 at 14:13.

As a fellow graduate student, and one powered by a few high-profile internships and two very nice job offers, I'll take a stab at this one gratis.

I'll post updates here after I reconfigure my SDK and give this a shot.

Ok! Compiled and running in scratchbox. The UI is remarkably usable: I'm going to fix the menus, add fullscreen, and bind +/- to Secure/Clear, but it realigns itself horizontally.

The daemon requires the ip_queue module, so that will have to be built.

libzrtp relies on bnlib for high math, and bnlib has no ARM assembler optimizations. I technically have the number theory and general assembler background to do this: I'm going to instead hope that GCC does a good enough job.

I'm behind an extremely annoying firewall right now, so I won't get a release out today. That said, this seems to be a -very- trivial app to port.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Damn nice!!! I might have to upgrade after all

I emailed Phil Zimmermann about this, and he sent me back a copy of bnlib optimized for ARM.

aleksandyr, please check your PM for a url.

Chris

Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
Ok! Compiled and running in scratchbox. The UI is remarkably usable: I'm going to fix the menus, add fullscreen, and bind +/- to Secure/Clear, but it realigns itself horizontally.

The daemon requires the ip_queue module, so that will have to be built.

libzrtp relies on bnlib for high math, and bnlib has no ARM assembler optimizations. I technically have the number theory and general assembler background to do this: I'm going to instead hope that GCC does a good enough job.

I'm behind an extremely annoying firewall right now, so I won't get a release out today. That said, this seems to be a -very- trivial app to port.

URL'd! I honestly hadn't even thought about searching around.

Still workign on it...

Update: packages built and installed.

However,

[ERROR]:ZFONED create: can't get ZID.

is all I can get out of zfoned.

The Following User Says Thank You to aleksandyr For This Useful Post:
Oh, and the bnlib-arm doesn't compile.

Turns out that error gets thrown when it can't find the built-in sound files. Whee!

So here's the pre-alpha story.

Grab:
http://users.wpi.edu/~chaos/zfone-armel-n800.tar.gz

I've included all the dependencies I know of that aren't the rtcomm platform.

You'll need to do all of this as root, for now.

Assuming you put the file in /media/mmc1/zfone-armel-n800.tar.gz

cd /tmp/
tar xzvf /media/mmc1/zfone-armel-n800.tar.gz
dpkg -i *.deb
cd /
tar xzvf /tmp/zfone-resources.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/
tar xzvf /tmp/zfone-resources.tar.gz

---
Yes, the resources need to be in two places for now. I'm not terribly skilled as far as debian packaging, as you can see!
---

You can now start zfoned as root by doing:
insmod /tmp/ip_queues.ko
zfoned
run-standalone.sh zfone

Caveat: I still have no work internet, so this is untried, but it seems to be working fine except for that.

Let me know how it goes

The Following User Says Thank You to aleksandyr For This Useful Post: