Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
For me themes/wallpapers are something I find really fun on devices. I particularly like to be able to choose ones that reflect the season (so it's autumn on both my phones right now). My head knows that it's only window dressing, but it's free fun.

The important thing for me about themes and wallpapers will be the ease of installation. I don't code: when n900 arrives, I will probably need someone to talk me through the absolute basic of where to find the code line input (just in case I ever need it!) but for something like this I want it to be as easy and straightforward as possible.

My current selection method is to choose from a collection using a desk/laptop, download and then transfer to the device. The biggest problem is that many themes (symbian, SE OS) have several pictures, and the collection only displays one. Add to that the fact that some of the loveliest themes have been compiled by people who chose colours for effect, rather than usability (dark text over dark pictures, for example) and I find myself deleting a lot of them after installation. A really good set of screen shots before I choose would be nifty.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Can we use the build-in image browser to tag and manage the wallpapers? All we need to do is just add the tag 'wallpaper' to any photo\graphics that we want to be listed in the wallpaper picker.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Can we use the build-in image browser to tag and manage the wallpapers? All we need to do is just add the tag 'wallpaper' to any photo\graphics that we want to be listed in the wallpaper picker.
Yes we can.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
I would like to browse the wallpapers site on the big computer.
Whilst there, it would be cool to say "like that, and that and that and that and that" and to have my selection available on the tablet
Here possible solution for that which includes ability to follow updates on item.

Allow button to 'add to favourites'.

In the 'favourites list' there are 'checkboxes' before each item. Like in webmail. Can inverse selection, select all.

For the selected items one can define

1) 'Keep me up to date about changes', like Freshmeat has. Tweakers.net Meuktracker (about latest firmware/driver/software releases) also supports option to be notified about new version. Notification goes via e-mail afaik.

2) Allow one to download the *.install from there.

3) Remove the item from favourite list.

4) ...?

The interface can be controlled from a browser.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@timsamoff: thx I may need to rephrase the question now that I've reread it ..

I mean sorta like on OSX where you get a 'peek' at iPhoto's folders and smart-folders through the wallpaper selection applet. But in this case, the selector can use tag, other metadata available on the images and other grouping mechanisms that are used by the image browser app.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
if i take a picture, there could be an auto cutter app which creates the 4 slices required.
even if its at a slight reduction in quality i think it would be ok.
(644pix wide each from full res image)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Bounced through here from GeneralAntilles link over on n900 wallpapers and backgrounds thread...

I see three four ways of doing this, realistically:
  1. Patch the native wallpaper selector to have a type-to-find filter.
  2. Patch the native wallpaper selector to support tags, and get everyone educated on the protocols for tagging wallpapers etc. This is my preferred solution.
  3. Create an app that manages the wallpapers on the n900.
  4. Wait for me to finish my wallpapers app, possibly at some point adding in local wallpaper management, inevitably giving me an iron fisted total monopoly on all maemo5+ wallpaper related resources, implementation and functionality.

And I'm only half joking about the last one.

Last edited by code177; 2009-10-28 at 22:24. Reason: that's actually four not three

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Nobody's discussed sounds here yet, specifically ringtones... I think its weird how much discussion wallpapers are getting compared to how little discussion ringtones are getting...