Notices

Hi,

Sorry I have not read through all 37 pages of this thread so apologies if I have asked something already covered but...

We work varied hours (night shifts etc) and find ourselves forever setting different alarm times. I have just found this fantastic alarmed Application for my N900.

At this time of year we also have to continuously meddle with the central heating timer. I am going to make a little bit of Hardware to interface with the Central Heating such that I can send it cmds via ssh to set it on/off and desired temperature etc.

I wish to be able to get Alarmed to do both a standard alarm and a cmd line operation in one go so that I can set one alarm which wakes us up and kicks the heating into action. We generally snooze for 30 mins before getting up by which time the place should be nice and warm.

So really I just want to be able to make a dual function alarm, Is this possible?

Alternatively I could make a simple script that the cmd line option triggers which does both the central heating bit and triggers the alarm. But I cannot find out how to do this - I am aware it involves some dbus-send magic but cannot work out quite what.

Last edited by mangodan2003; 2010-10-24 at 19:15.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Installing alarmed destroys my device. It's tested and final.

Installing alarmed and its dependencies makes the device complain at next reboot "All telephony functions, including emergency calls, are disabled. You might have to restart the device".

No idea what to do. Uninstalling Alarmed doesn't fix it. I have to reflash every single f* time.

Tried to remove alarmed folder where jobs are kept, to no avail.

Help?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
alarmed events (and other events (for example. automatic update)) are stored in
/var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini.
I don't know if this entries survive a reflash.

nicolai

It doesn't. But the app stores the jobs separately, in a survivable location. When installed, it remembers the jobs and (assumingly) restores them.

I'm assuming it breaks cron or something which interferes with the Linux equivalent of the telephony driver or service or whatever it is.

Point is, it needs a reflash after install and frankly I'm getting way tired of this. This is my 10th reflash in 2 days trying to pinpoint the issue. I'm starting to lose it.

I have a batch file that reflashes the N900 on a double-click. It's getting ridiculous.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
What about this:

-reflash
-delete (or move to some other place) files in /home/user/.config/alarmed/jobs/
-install alarmed

nicolai

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Bug:
Snooze/off buttons when an alarm activates are labeled "cloc bd alarm notification snooze" and "cloc_bd_stop"
Known bug but I'm too lazy too fix the package as it's not critical...

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Feature request:
"Weekdays" or "Monday-Friday" as a repeat interval
Well, you can already have that schedule by using "weekdays" and tapping on all the days you want. My main issue with this option is that for some people, 'workdays' are something else, e.g. Mi-Sun. I realize that it's a bunch of taps...

Originally Posted by mangodan2003 View Post
So really I just want to be able to make a dual function alarm, Is this possible?
Not possible at the moment, but if I make a new version I'll try to make this happen.

Originally Posted by mangodan2003 View Post
Alternatively I could make a simple script that the cmd line option triggers which does both the central heating bit and triggers the alarm. But I cannot find out how to do this - I am aware it involves some dbus-send magic but cannot work out quite what.
That's not really possible through a simple command. The Nokia alarm daemon functions through a queue file located at /var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini in which it places a section for every event you create. You can experiment with making events in Alarmed and then look at the ini file. Every event has a couple of properties, and I guess you could combine an alarm and a command but I'm not sure right now. I might look into it.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Installing alarmed and its dependencies makes the device complain at next reboot "All telephony functions, including emergency calls, are disabled. You might have to restart the device".
I doubt Alarmed itself is causing the problem because it doesn't mess with phone functionality or anything. Please try only installing the dependencies, one by one (e.g. python-alarm, then pyside-qt4-core, pyside-qt4-maemo5, and lastly pyside-qt4-gui) and reboot after every new package to be able to pinpoint the culprit.

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
alarmed events (and other events (for example. automatic update)) are stored in
/var/cache/alarmd/alarm_queue.ini.
The events stored in alarm_queue.ini are events generated for "alarmd" (the daemon that runs the events), however "Alarmed" (the GUI app) keeps its jobs and saved preset commands in /home/user/.config/alarmed/ I do this because I find the alarm_queue.ini a pain to read and the concepts Alarmed uses (like different options, e.g. cron, or weekdays etc) are not really represented by the alarmd daemon in the way they show up in the GUI.

When installed, it remembers the jobs and (assumingly) restores them.
It does not restore jobs after a reflash or if you have manually destroyed the alarm_queue.ini. You'll need to disable/enable every event for them to become reactivated. In a new version, I might make this automatic. I simply didn't see the need. I never reflashed my device even once and I use it quite heavily but apparently I was lucky until now...

I'm assuming it breaks cron or something which interferes with the Linux equivalent of the telephony driver or service or whatever it is.
Alarmed only manipulates the alarmd daemon and it does it in a very unobtrusive way (e.g. not actually editing alarm_queue.ini but using the python-alarm bindings and interfacing properly). There is no way for it to destroy anything except if you set a command that does the breaking.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post:
First I need to sort out issue with BackupMenu. I'm not going at this from scratch, I'm going to go bananas soon.

I'll soon go bananas! B-an-an-as!

--

ETA: Didn't see you post above, shapeshifter. However, it's undeniable that after a reflash and restore I used the device and booted for 2 days. apt-get install alarmed, reboot, error. Several times.

I'll try to slowly look at the dependencies, there's 7 of them or so and about 20M. But like I said, I want to get BackupMenu fixed. Right now the latest stable version is 2010-10-22 and my laste valid backup is 25th. That means about 3 days worth of work, including PR1.3 and managing to rebuild kernel-power and all the associated scripts.

As soon as I get a satisfactory backup system (that works) and a satisfactory backup (recent), I'll go at it.

This isn't the first time Alarmed has behaved erratically, as you remember, but it's true, it has 6 other packages that only come with Alarmed, could be one of them.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-10-27 at 12:10.

This isn't the first time Alarmed has behaved erratically, as you remember, but it's true, it has 6 other packages that only come with Alarmed, could be one of them.
I'm sorry for the trouble, but the previous cases of erratic behaviour were due to the PySide bindings becoming incompatible with the Qt packages. I can't help the fact that the Nokia people (who are responsible for both Qt and PySide) aren't releasing the bindings in coordination with Qt. I've discussed this in a bug report twice but they just push out compatible bindings to fix the problem without adressing the actual coordination issue.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post

Well, you can already have that schedule by using "weekdays" and tapping on all the days you want
Aha, I found it. You are probably starting to get fried from toiling over your own code:

you can already have that schedule by using "Weekly" and tapping on all the days you want
Thank you again, very well done.
The only thing else I can think of is a "Test" button at entry of a command to be executed.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
For some reason my profiles don't always get switched. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why this happens. Is there any way to troubleshoot this?