Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Google says it will be bidding on some wireless spectrum here in the US. Apparently the 700MHz spectrum is suitable for broadband applications like WiFi (WiMax?).

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/20/g...tions-are-met/

Now combine that with recent acquisition of GrandCentral. Hmm... What are they up to? Maybe Google will leap over the whole cell phone thing and come up with a GPhone (you heard it here first)! Here is what I would like to see Google come up with:

A data-only device, much like cellphone, but without GSM built-in, connecting directly to Google's new wireless network.

On the device, a set of apps including:
1. GTalk for voice (and video?) communication. Device would have a real telephone number (courtesy of GrandCentral).
2. Always on, real-time Gmail.
3. Always on, real-time Google Calendar.
4. Integrated GPS module with Google Maps working with it.
5. Firefox based web browser that supports flash and java!
6. Google Docs properly working through the browser.
7. And support for endless sea of Google Gadgets!

Ok, so maybe they can throw in a GSM chip and an empty sim slot for traveling outside the US.

Hmm... I'm sure Nokia can build this device in a jiffy ;-)

Last edited by nedim; 2007-07-22 at 03:57.

I'm sure what my imagination is thinking (including your list) is better than what they will(?) deliver, but I can't help but dream. Although....by the time Google could get a network established, Maemo and its apps (and Google integration?) should be quite mature, and maybe Nokia will release an IT compatible with this network....hmmmmm

EDIT: So, my original post and what I ended-up posting are not the same. I went back and reread it, realizing I didn't really contribute much to your thread. Anyway, this could be exciting. That's all I really wanted to say

Last edited by Rtalian; 2007-07-22 at 05:02.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Chicago, IL, USA
A device that only works on the 700mhz band will be useless to anyone that travels internationally. It needs to support other means of communicating if it is to have any success in the business world.

If it supports Boingo's wireless client, then it could quasi get away with only the 700mhz support plus WiFi support. There are a few metro WiFi networks in Europe that Boingo would provide automatic roaming to. But limiting it to WiFi would still mean there would be a lot of areas you'd have no coverage. So ultimately, it also needs to have some form of wireless data coverage (ideally via HSDPA with fallback to GPRS).

I'd also add that for me, personally, it'd have to do Skype if I was to ever even think about purchasing one.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by nedim View Post
Google says it will be bidding on some wireless spectrum here in the US. Apparently the 700MHz spectrum is suitable for broadband applications like WiFi (WiMax?).

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/20/g...tions-are-met/

Now combine that with recent acquisition of GrandCentral. Hmm... What are they up to? Maybe Google will leap over the whole cell phone thing and come up with a GPhone (you heard it here first)! Here is what I would like to see Google come up with:

A data-only device, much like cellphone, but without GSM built-in, connecting directly to Google's new wireless network.

On the device, a set of apps including:
1. GTalk for voice (and video?) communication. Device would have a real telephone number (courtesy of GrandCentral).
2. Always on, real-time Gmail.
3. Always on, real-time Google Calendar.
4. Integrated GPS module with Google Maps working with it.
5. Firefox based web browser that supports flash and java!
6. Google Docs properly working through the browser.
7. And support for endless sea of Google Gadgets!

Ok, so maybe they can throw in a GSM chip and an empty sim slot for traveling outside the US.

Hmm... I'm sure Nokia can build this device in a jiffy ;-)
From a network point of view Google is late. In Europe we have 3G. The normal version and the HSDPA (3.6 to 7.2 mb/sec), so as far as Europe and much of the rest of the world, Google acquisition will not matter much.

Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
From a network point of view Google is late. In Europe we have 3G. The normal version and the HSDPA (3.6 to 7.2 mb/sec), so as far as Europe and much of the rest of the world, Google acquisition will not matter much.
Can you imagine search on anything but Google? Or how many people on this forum alone use gmail? Yet, Google was late to both of these.

It's their uncanny talent for taking over the world that makes me pay attention.

2G, 3G, 3.5G, who cares. I'm saying they can leap over all that. It's about what comes after "the phone" thats interesting. It's not about the phone that can do other stuff, it's about a new device that can also do the phone. Nokia, Apple and RIM are all working on it. But Google has proven they can think outside the box and deliver.

Also, there are already dual standard phones that support both US networks (Sprint, Verizon) but also have GSM for traveling internationally. So that is not an issue. Or better yet, buy some similar spectrum in other big markets and provide the same seamless service worldwide. No roaming, no extra charges. Now that's what I'm talking about.

As for the Skype, I wouldn't hold my breath for Gizmo or any other SIP provider to make a ding in Skype's market share. But Google? If I was Skype I'd have my panties in a bunch right now.

This is just me rambling, and none of it may happen, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
This is not totally correct.

Google is interested in buying but only under four (unlikely) conditions being placed on it for everyone bidding on it.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
This is not totally correct.

Google is interested in buying but only under four (unlikely) conditions being placed on it for everyone bidding on it.
Right. And who knows what's gonna happen by the time this all is done.

But the fact that they are even thinking about it and that they have more money then many countries in the world makes me wonder.

Originally Posted by nedim View Post
Right. And who knows what's gonna happen by the time this all is done.

But the fact that they are even thinking about it and that they have more money then many countries in the world makes me wonder.
As someone pointed out the 700 mhz range is limited. Second, 3.5G is here now with 4G on the way. You stated:
2G, 3G, 3.5G, who cares.
This sounds like someone that has not had the luxury of watching TV on their phone, or making VoIP calls from their phones, surfing the web, streaming video, etc..... Google offers nothing new that I can not do now. I get all of those feature for the low, low equivalent price of $30. Not to mention a QoS thrown in. Google can't match this. While this might be all the rage in the US, Google and the ad driven revenue model will have a hard time in Europe.

The Following User Says Thank You to sapporobaby For This Useful Post:
Maybe its more of a home centered move, you buy a device that receives and xmits 700mhz, it has a wifi Access Point in it converting it to 802.11bg..

They roll it out over the entire USA, google offers free internet all over the USA.. the catch would be they then are your ISP and know exactly what your looking at on the web and can target ads to your tastes.

If they do that then you will see devices like the n800 popping that receive it.

Originally Posted by E-ville View Post
Maybe its more of a home centered move, you buy a device that receives and xmits 700mhz, it has a wifi Access Point in it converting it to 802.11bg..

They roll it out over the entire USA, google offers free internet all over the USA.. the catch would be they then are your ISP and know exactly what your looking at on the web and can target ads to your tastes.

If they do that then you will see devices like the n800 popping that receive it.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your response but if you substitute USA for Europe, you have this now. All without Google or ad driven revenue, and without the privacy issue. The GSM operators already know where you are via the phone. They have the presence info on you, so this too is solved. I still do not see the "Google" advantage. Maybe the US market is more in tuned for this type of model. Can't see it being much of an advantage in Europe and the rest of the world.