Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Why not N950 remake!
I think the paradigm has been lost, at least for major phone manufacturers, to design or produce anything but thin glass slabs.

The N900 even the N950 are small chonkey devices with physical keyboards, is there even a supply chain anymore for the slider rails these phones use? I feel like this kind of thinking is left in the past like 'dumbphones' and not up for consideration for flagships which are for surfing social media and Netflix; screen area for popping the 1080p video to as large a size as possible. These are movie rectangles not portable computers, the opposite of the N900 and N950 which are computers which can play movies if you need that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Remake N810 as a phone with old cover but with modern phone specs and capabilities. I would not mind the size.
+1. Remake N810 with 4G would be good. Also 9500 or E90 style with Maemo would be good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Why not N950 remake!
Because no matter what you or I like, the majority of people don't need a physical keyboard.
Look at Blackberry - the only brand with physical keyboards phones, what happened to it? TCL are about to stop producing BlackBerry-branded mobile devices because of low popularity.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Why not N950 remake!
I had N950, but swap it to N900. N950 doesn't have resistive touch screen, no swappable battery, no camera-slider, no SD-card place...

Ok keyboard was better, but not good as N810 or E90 or 9500. Aluminum as case material was good and it's only thing that really like to see from N950 to new remakes.

But ofcourse N950 remake would be better than N9 remake.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
Because no matter what you or I like, the majority of people don't need a physical keyboard..
They don't write? All people who had physical keyboard in some phone, that I know, miss it. They remember to see more conversation on screen when writing and they remember write more fast with it.

Some people say that you don't need physical keyboard, because you cannot write with 10-finger system with small keyboard, but you can write with Nokia 9500, when you put it thumbs under it (so 2 fingers out from writing). And I can write with strange 6-finger system with N810. Only 1 cm more bigger keyboard than in 9500, you can write real 10-finger system, I tested with Atari Portfolio.

Last edited by teroyk; 2020-02-12 at 08:16.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
They don't write? All people who had physical keyboard in some phone, that I know, miss it. They remember to see more conversation on screen when writing and they remember write more fast with it.

Some people say that you don't need physical keyboard, because you cannot write with 10-finger system with small keyboard, but you can write with Nokia 9500, when you put it thumbs under it (so 2 fingers out from writing). And I can write with strange 6-finger system with N810. Only 1 cm more bigger keyboard than in 9500, you can write real 10-finger system, I tested with Atari Portfolio.
When I used a HP Veer (I still have it in the drawer), I was catching myself thinking that I miss swype keyboard because on the swype keyboard I can write very fast with only 1 finger. Veer keyboard was not bad at all though.
I'd never use N900 or N950, but I remember that keyboard on N810 was a bit tight and after a few lines of text my fingers got tired. In case of swype keyboard you can write lines of text with no feeling a fatigue of the writing.

I would like to have a device like N950 - it would give me an ability to write with one hand or with keyboard depending on how I want it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Yes, why not a N950 done right?

That's too hard isn't it?

Purchasing the molding data for the N9 body on eBay was far easier than purchasing the source code for Harmattan (Meamo in fact) and give us what I (we?) really want.

2 Phones to rule them all. One workhorse keyboard slider (resistive N900 Style display an upgrade option), one cute candybar for marketing take over reasons.
Both especially the first indestructible brics and serviceable to survive the next decade.
Then call it a day and focus on the software.

Running an up to date Harmattan with ALL the connectivity options that were present in Meamo 5 and left out in Harmattan on the orignal N9.

Besides the form factor (in today's perspective) there was nothing to love about the N9 Hardware.
A dummy lab phone frame is what I'd call it.
Just a cheap Poly-carbonate shape mold to hold together some basic set of component so show off software interface. Microsoft saw margin in this of course. Yes industrial, and somebody designed it hence the "compliment" industrial design.
It was boring, slippery, unpractical and had a low quality display. After going through great lenghts being early adapter sourcing one of the first 64GB N9 I got rid of it pretty soon even acknowledging that with the Android tiredness already setting in, the N9 with proper marketing would have ripped holes in that market.
"Nokia" cashing in on N9 nostalgia? Disgusting.
Not here, N9, it was never that good apart from the Harmattan OS software which they won't revive because hey, they don't have the leverage and besides offer us "pure android with security updates and some swipe moves (for 2-3 years then you can sort it out yourself)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Poland
Hello and welcome again after years

Concept is nice but the icons are nasty!

https://techburner.in/nokia-n9-2020-...n-ui-and-more/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danpio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I suggest to cool down the nostalgia a little bit, there's nothing to see in that apart from the number.

"Nokia" by HMD should by now have had a Harmattan interface going since 2018 to hide the underlying Android. They shouldn't even have restarted their Nokia version w/o having first the Harmattan overlay & hub driven connectivity including SIP for actually calling (who does that?) ready.

But that didn't happen and I would not hold high hopes it will happen with the introduction of very generic Android Phone not truly of legacy Nokia build quality.

Whenever Huawei would decide to drop an inch on a form factor it would make them equally interesting or uninteresting option as they are now playing naughty mode enabled.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
This is just a concept design from someone:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/9112...9-2020-Concept

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9, re-make