Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
What to say... What to say...

After around 18 months of solid diehard N900 use I have bought a new phone. Galaxy S2.
The N900 became too unreliable I.e: 3 microB pages open and an SMS comes in the phone crashed and forces itself to reboot.
Just got too hard to deal with. Yes, easily fixable with a flash and tickle

Anyhow, it was becoming just unreliable and hard to deal with.

Does anyone have any advice on how to migrate from Maemo to Android?
I'd love a full featured terminal.

Has anyone else done it and remained sane and happy? Without regrets even!?

I have been researching like mad and found chroots for ununtu and backtrack, so that COULD tide over my hacking need..

But are there any basic cool toys like: air crack, conky and nano?

Thanks people's!

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
What to say... What to say...

After around 18 months of solid diehard N900 use I have bought a new phone. Galaxy S2.
The N900 became too unreliable I.e: 3 microB pages open and an SMS comes in the phone crashed and forces itself to reboot.
Just got too hard to deal with. Yes, easily fixable with a flash and tickle

Anyhow, it was becoming just unreliable and hard to deal with.

I have been researching like mad and found chroots for ununtu and backtrack, so that COULD tide over my hacking need..

Thanks people's!
With a lobotomy.

Seriously, you think symbian sucks? You wait till you try android, unless of course you want APPZ!!!1!!!!!1 that do KEWL STUFF.

There is no aircrack, no conky, no nano. Using chroot on 'droid sucks unwashed tramp balls (bizarre VNC hack just to see screen? no thanks) furthermore don't get to excited about backtrack, half of it doesn't even work due to the chrootiness of the solution.

So have fun bro, you will be missed but I am sure you will forget all about us quickly WIV ALL DE APPZ.

srsly, youu were a boon to this forum.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
My N900 died on a hardware fault. So i tried a actual phone(!), a LG Optimus 3D (P920).
The cool things from maemo are really boring on android.
nano should work if you install busybox from market, but to do that, you have to root your phone. Then the warranty is gone.
Without rooting you cant do any cool stuff.
I still didnt root it because i have it only for 2 weeks.
ssh with virtual keyboard is also a pain.

I still miss my N900.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I won't be gong very far!
I can still help members here, at least until Nokia pull the pin on TMO.

It Looks like I may have to buy another N900... I still have mine, but hardware is failing as well as software.

Besides, I still have work to do here. Like faircrack installer.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Have you heard about the N9? Or what about the tablet whos name I never remember.

But, Galaxy SII instead of N9, that is silly.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post

Thanks people's!
I made the transition and enjoy both using and hacking my 7" Galaxy Tab. There is life on this other planet; what's more, if you come to the Android shores with your Maemo spirit, you won't be able to refrain from turning your device in a real linux & gnu tablet; and this is a good thing

May I help you with my troves?

You can have terminal, bash, ssh, vi (not nano) quite easily [Better Terminal Emulator, lite or pro]; complete kbd for your developing needs [Hacker's Keyboard]; graphical text editor [I like Jota Text Editor].
Setting up a chroot for Debian is a breeze, and using a VNC client on localhost isn't too much penalyzing provided you don't do video or gaming with it; concerning the VNC client, try both Android VNC and Pocket Cloud, which is very strong for its particular multifunction mouse pointer.

You'll find many other interesting tools in the list under my sig; I got them after having browsed almost a year of past news from xda-devs, so I should have got a good deal of useful things.

Can't help you with aircrack, because I'm not in pentesting; conky, I can live without it, provided I can get every bit of info I need from my terminal.

So... welcome and happy hacking! If you use Google Plus, connect me and browse for the other Maemians who also like Android, like Danrmos, Capt'n'corrupt, and several others: we can have a lot of fun even while the [Nokia] boat is unfortunately sinking...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=debernardis;1072369]I made the transition and enjoy both using and hacking my 7" Galaxy Tab. There is life on this other planet; what's more, if you come to the Android shores with your Maemo spirit, you won't be able to refrain from turning your device in a real linux & gnu tablet; and this is a good thing

That is so true... a couple of screenshots of my sysutils folder added.
Attached Images