Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Some of you might know about some CERN scientists starting protonmail after the whole wikileaks and Snowden info where a secure mail service(I forget the name) in the US was asked to open their files, the company wiped the servers and shut down instead. Being in Switzerland the hope is that snoopy and jealous nuclear armed superpowers will not violate the Swiss nutrality any more than they do to snoop the banking sector for tax cheats.
Anyways, I understand the API is open and even the free accounts are pretty great, but need more eyes on this. I would love to have this as an option for my N900 until we get the next great GNU-Linux flagship handheld.
https://mail.protonmail.com/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Is it not secure to just put it to this mail app on N900? Not understanding how the security side is in these. I added my startmail account (secure and servers in switzerland) to the app and works fine. Have to give rights for the device on the mail and there you get the unique password for the device and uses this imap ssl stuff (really I don't undestand these things, just using as the end user). If it is not secure to use this mail app I would also like to be aware of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
This that mail works well and is easy to access on N900 was most wellcomed thing. Have you tried with proton?
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
This that mail works well and is easy to access on N900 was most wellcomed thing. Have you tried with proton?
I do not see pop3 access at all, might be included in the paid tiers.
But you better watch out, "Pekka, people are looking at you"!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
It says imap and pop. Are there different pops around?

And yes, people have been watching me after I visited all major three letter etc companies recruit sites just out of curiosity without using anything to hide my ip or anything and then made a stupid post on facebook naming and challenging all the companies. Network was a bit sluggish after that. But I feel secure when they are watching over me all the time. After that paid for startmail and got vpn and learned a bit what not to do but some flags may still be hanging on me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-02-21 at 16:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Sorry, I mean that protonmail didn't seem to have pop3.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
It seems that subscribing to be a tester would be best bet. Probably would get in contact with right people through that too to get it possibly to work on N900. Atleast with maemo leste. Seems they really try to secure things. For me startmail is just so that I got rid off unwanted advertisements and that is the reason I use only prepaid phonenumber. Mail costs about 40eur per year and prepaid is about 10eur more per month extra compared to normal but it has been worth it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-02-21 at 18:10. Reason: Removed unproofed claims about protonmail

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, protonmail