Notices

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Hi KYSoh + mcsnake,

thanks that you want to try EPUBReader!

According to the feedback I received from some testers, I made some changes and hope, that the usability is now okay . I've updated my initial posting with the details for the installation: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=529285&postcount=1

Your feedback is very welcome! Please send it to my mailaddress which you find here.

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Your feedback is very welcome! Please send it to my mailaddress which you find here.

Thanks in advance!
Michael
I've put my feedback in this thread, but I've also posted it to you.

Overall, it's good. I've added a few epub files from my local filesystem from Fictionwise and Feedbooks. Will test direct download when I have a stable connection.

A few areas of concern
  • scrolling appears slow. When I drag a page, the scrolling is delayed and jumps (this is on my N810)
  • lack of an indicator when I reached the end of a section. Perhaps a ----End of Section--- marker could be included in the display to give visual feedback
  • lack of feedback when I reached the end of the file. Perhaps a ---End of File--- marker could be included in the display to give visual feedback

Keep up the good work...

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Originally Posted by KYSoh View Post
Overall, it's good. I've added a few epub files from my local filesystem from Fictionwise and Feedbooks. Will test direct download when I have a stable connection.

A few areas of concern
  • scrolling appears slow. When I drag a page, the scrolling is delayed and jumps (this is on my N810)
  • lack of an indicator when I reached the end of a section. Perhaps a ----End of Section--- marker could be included in the display to give visual feedback
  • lack of feedback when I reached the end of the file. Perhaps a ---End of File--- marker could be included in the display to give visual feedback
Thanks for your feedback!

The content of the ePub-file is just shown in an iframe. So if there is a problem with scrolling, it's a problem of Firefox itself. I had a look at the Firefox Mobile bugs and have seen that there seem to be still problems with scrolling. If you don't drag the page, but use tapping left/right top/bottom for scrolling/paging it's hopefully not a problem.

Concerning the indicators I'll contact you via email. I think it's easier to discuss it that way.

Best,
Michael

Thanks for your feedback!

The content of the ePub-file is just shown in an iframe. So if there is a problem with scrolling, it's a problem of Firefox itself. I had a look at the Firefox Mobile bugs and have seen that there seem to be still problems with scrolling. If you don't drag the page, but use tapping left/right top/bottom for scrolling/paging it's hopefully not a problem.

Concerning the indicators I'll contact you via email. I think it's easier to discuss it that way.

Best,
Michael
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I tap on the sides to page up/down and that's okay with me.

Another enhancement thought: a "Page Info" that displays useful info like the name of the file, the author and the current location in the file (as a percentage).

But how to display it? Then I saw this posting [http://ahdesai.wordpress.com/2010/03...r-for-fennec/] and realised one place would be the favicon. Tapping it would display/dismiss the page info.

What do you think?

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Originally Posted by KYSoh View Post
Another enhancement thought: a "Page Info" that displays useful info like the name of the file, the author and the current location in the file (as a percentage).

But how to display it? Then I saw this posting [http://ahdesai.wordpress.com/2010/03...r-for-fennec/] and realised one place would be the favicon. Tapping it would display/dismiss the page info.
Thanks, that's an interesting idea.

As for the "page info" i plan already something like this for the epub catalog. The info (book title, author, book cover, etc.) would be displayed in a popup window.

As for the current location in the file, the favicon thing could be a interesting solution. The problem would not be to bring up the information via favicon but to calculate it : the number of pages depends on your font size, resolution and orientation. Additionally ePub files consist normally of several xhtml-files. To know where you are located in the book, you have to analyze all files...
You see, the calculation is pretty hard, so I don't see this feature in the near future.

Best,
Michael

The problem would not be to bring up the information via favicon but to calculate it : the number of pages depends on your font size, resolution and orientation. Additionally ePub files consist normally of several xhtml-files. To know where you are located in the book, you have to analyze all files...
You see, the calculation is pretty hard, so I don't see this feature in the near future.

Best,
Michael
One way to simplify the number of pages problem is to 'ignore' parameters like font size, etc.

FBReader does this [http://groups.google.com/group/fbrea...2bb827f9daa8a] by defining a page as consisting of 2048 characters, an image as 100 characters, etc.

It is not perfect, but it is good enough in practice (I was using FBReader before trying epubreader).

Anyway, a simple '% read' would do for me, so I know how much of a book I've read. But based on your quote, this may not be simple...

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Tawa, Wellington
Hello, I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I have installed Firefox 1.1 as per you instructions. I tried to download the Epub reader from the browser in the phone. It just keeps saying it is compatible with Firefox 3.6. So i downloaded it from my PC copied it to the file manager and ran the addon from there. It seemed to install ok But I cant open an Epub book. I have the Nokia N900. Any ideas

Michael,

Fennec (Mobile Firefox) has been updated to v1.1, but epubreader is disabled/incompatible with it. Can you update epubreader for it?

Regards,
Kam Yung

Michael,

Discovered a compatibility update for epubreader today for Fennec 1.1. Updated epubreader and it now appears to work fine.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Michael,

Some feedback.

After installing the compatibility update, I find that setting bookmarks is slow:

1) tap the centre of the screen to bring up the toolbar
2) tap the bookmark icon
3) wait...wait...wait...
4) toolbar disappears
5) a "bookmark has been set" message appears and slowly disappears by sinking down

Is this expected?

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Tags
ebook, fennec