Originally Posted by mrfan View Post
Hi all, first post for me.

There works perfectly on a single ext3 partition (2gb SD).

You must edit bootloader.sh in order to use a SINGLE partition.

Regards, mrfan (Fabrizio).
Where is bootloader.sh? I can't boot because it tries to boot from MMC internal parition 2, and I only have a single ex2 partition.

Originally Posted by TXFI View Post
Here's a slightly updated version of my steps. In short, this is what I did to get my N800 to boot OS2008 from MMC. Note that all shell commands need to be entered as root (except for the very first command).

1) upgraded my N800 to OS2008, http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010
2) enabled the Maemo Extras repository in Application Manager and added http://repository.maemo.org, Distribution: (blank) Components: free non-free
3) installed openssh using Application Manager
4) defined a root password (openssh's installer prompted for this)
5) opened xterm and:

# ssh root@localhost

(optional step - Added to following lines to the end of sudoers)
# visudo
user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
root ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

6) created two (512 MB and 7 GB) partitions on my 8 GB SD card. Adjust the values for mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2 to reflect the SD card you are using. One unit is equal to 32768 bytes so 16384 units/blocks is 512 MB.

# apt-get install e2fsprogs
# umount /media/mmc1
# umount /media/mmc2
# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0
/dev/mmcblk0p1:1,16384,6
/dev/mmcblk0p2:16385,,83
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:
# reboot

7) created file systems on the card:

# umount /media/mmc1
# umount /media/mmc2
# mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
# mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
# reboot

8) downloaded http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz using the N800 browser and saved it to: /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/ (default location)

9) unpacked it and ran the script:

# cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/
# tar zxf initfs_flasher.tgz
# cd initfs_flasher
# ./initfs_flash

10) installed the kernel modules:

# insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko
# insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko

11) mounted the file systems to be cloned:

# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
# mount -t jffs2 -o ro /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy

12) cloned the files from /floppy to /opt:

# tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xf - -C /opt

(This takes quite a while. Observe any errors it might, but shouldn't, display. Change to "tar xvf" if you want verbose output.)

13) set up the MMC as a boot option and rebooted the device:

# umount /opt
# umount /floppy
# chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2
# reboot
Dear TXFI,

Thank you for your detailed instructions. How you figured it out is beyond me. I have managed to go through action 1-11 after few attempts without error finally. However action 12 shows up errors:-
1. /opt: Not found in archive.
2. Removing leading '/' from member names.
3. Removing leading '/' from hard link targets.
4. -C: Cannot write : No space left on device. Error not recoverable.

What have I done wrong- any clues?

Can I clarify something? I created 2 partitions in a 8G SD card as MMC2; 1st partition 7G (for general usage) and the second partition 0.6G (for OS boot. After going through 1-9, I noticed that I have 6.8G in my MMC2...is this correct? Reason for asking is that i when followed your instructions (1st partition 0.6G and second partition 7G) it resulted in the MMC showing about 0.6G.

Hope you can give some guidance .....stuck now....and the device memory is stuck at 3+MB!

Thanks
Regards
Lawrence

Last edited by lawrencelaw; 2008-08-31 at 13:45.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by lawrencelaw View Post

Can I clarify something? I created 2 partitions in a 8G SD card as MMC2; 1st partition 7G (for general usage) and the second partition 0.6G (for OS boot. After going through 1-9, I noticed that I have 6.8G in my MMC2...is this correct? Reason for asking is that i when followed your instructions (1st partition 0.6G and second partition 7G) it resulted in the MMC showing about 0.6G.
This is correct. 6.8G is for the 1st partition. It did not show you the 2nd partition.

I have managed to go through action 1-11 after few attempts without error finally. However action 12 shows up errors:-
1. /opt: Not found in archive.
2. Removing leading '/' from member names.
3. Removing leading '/' from hard link targets.
4. -C: Cannot write : No space left on device. Error not recoverable.

What have I done wrong- any clues?
Actually you did not do step 11 correctly.
Pay attention spaces(" ") between commands.

Before step 11 try to do:
#ls /opt
#ls /floppy

Both of them should be empty

After step 11:

#ls /floppy

You should see something in there ....

Then do step 11, 12 .... Pay attention to spaces ....

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Dear nhanquy,

Thank you very much...I re-flashed with old OS and repeated the process.

I made extra care with spaces (copied the commands in note pad and looked extra careful for the spaces). A question is the following correct :
"tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xf - -C /opt " or it should be
"tar cf - -C /floppy . / tar xf - -C /opt"?

Thanks
Regards

Lawrence

Last edited by lawrencelaw; 2008-09-01 at 07:24.

Dear nhanquy,

I tried both and found that the 1st one was the correct command.

This is off topic but what does it mean to run debian from a partition and not from the img file? Is this similar to cloning the OS to the MMC?

I installed debian and found running the debian applications too slow to be practical. Would appreciate a link to another thread that is perhaps more relevant.

Thanks
Regards
Lawrence

Thanks

This is off topic but what does it mean to run debian from a partition and not from the img file? Is this similar to cloning the OS to the MMC?
It means debian stays in a different partition; it doesn't need to be in the same partition of the booting OS.

No it is not the same as cloning the OS. It is more like an extension of the OS so people can run more apps under Debian.

I installed debian and found running the debian applications too slow to be practical.
Me too. If you feel you don't need it, you don't have to have it.
KDE is another one too.

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Dear nhanquy,

The OS in the MMC looks good. However I have trouble getting the PC to read it as it is used by the N800.

Does it mean every time I want the PC to read the MMC2, i have to boot from the device memory?

Thanks
Regards
Lawrence

The OS in the MMC looks good. However I have trouble getting the PC to read it as it is used by the N800.
when the N800 uses it of course it doesn't want other machine comes in and mess up. right?
so if you boot from 2nd partition of the mmc then the PC can not access to that 2nd partition but the PC can access the first one, the FAT partition, as long as you don't use it for swap area.
if you do use the 1st partition for swap, turn it off then you can have the PC accessing to it (by using the USB cable).

Dear nhanquy,

I did turn the swap memory off. The MMC2 is still not available to the PC via USB. So I did a device boot to copy stuff into the MMC2.

Also when i boot from device, the n800 does not have the same installed condition as when I boot from the MMC. I thought it was a cloning process...i.e. what i do for the MMC will get reflected in the device memory?

Somehow i think I did not get the process correct?

Thanks
Regards
Lawrence

when i boot from device, the n800 does not have the same installed condition as when I boot from the MMC. I thought it was a cloning process...i.e. what i do for the MMC will get reflected in the device memory?
You should have had identical image at the time you cloned the OS from flash. Maybe you have changed something since.

I did turn the swap memory off. The MMC2 is still not available to the PC via USB. So I did a device boot to copy stuff into the MMC2.
I don't know. Sometimes it did not work as we wanted it to !
Boot from flash and then copy things to MMC2 is not so bad! You can also have your PC using the same WiFi share folders so both machines can access disk spaces from others.