Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
This may seem to initially have zero relevance.
bear with me.

My Cat.
Cat-O the talking marvel..who keeps great company ...who thinks he is a human...
Cat-O the magnificent hunter of rats as big as himself..
Cat-O the best friend of Eddie the 3 legged 1 eyed rescue pup...

went missing 4 days ago...

I have been absolutely miserable...
Eddie too.
Preparing for milk carton advertising..
Planning the service..
preparing the eulogy ..

Then...as I was locking the door heading off to work tonight...
From down the valley I hear a distant call...
I called his name ...
and sure enough it was him..
he kept running home calling all the way...

missed him pretty bad..
And I was so ticked off at his absence..
the silence ..
I really told him what for ...

So the point of all this is...

I realized a couple minutes ago that ...
the absence of communication from the neo team for the last lengthy bit here..had pretty much the same effect on me.
And gave quite a piece of my mind concerning the absence...

All being said and done...
I am quite happy that there is again ..running dialogue from the team here.
Whether it be good news, bad news, updates or just info...the impact of communication is huge...
it allays concern and worry...big time.
even if it is just a blurb that took a minute to write...

I am glad there is comm. going on here again.

(and of course glad Cat-O is back...he won't stop talking ...missed our conversation there too.. )

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What you promised 4 years ago constitutes a verbal contract. You did not say in that promise that the conditions would change.
Could you please CAREFULLY read and UNDERSTAND the posts you reply to? There is no verbal contract since Dos1 explained exactly how you accepted the Neo900 written conditions by transferring your donations from GolDeliCo to the new entity instead of just receiving a refund. Nobody complained about any discrepances between those written conditions and any other communication at that time, why is this coming up now as if we were dishonest back when?
For any complaints about wording on GolDeliCo website please contact them, not spread disgruntlement and false accusations here. Many thanks!

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2017-08-28 at 21:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Could you please CAREFULLy read and UNDERSTAND the posts you reply to? Dos1 explained exactly how you accepted the Neo900 conditions by transferring your donations from GolDeliCo to the new entity instead of just receiving a refund.
For any complaints about wording on GolDeliCo website please contact them, not spread disgruntlement and false accusations here. Many thanks!
Some people may need reminders. It has been quite a few months.

With that said, does this reminder exist on your website or is only in an email?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
On top of all this discussion my third N900 seems to go the 'all telephony functions...' way (again!).
And I do not know if I really will have the time, will, enthusiam to get one of my backups ready again.

So Neo900, get ready! Please!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
But what do you care whether it is compound intest or not?
I don't. Whether the €300 I paid 4 years ago is now worth €600 or €750 is academic to me. But I can understand those to whom the €150 difference is significant.

2%/month is ridiculous anyway
Agreed. When it was announced, I took it as a sign that the team were confident to finish the project on a reasonable time scale. The 2%/month promise fooled me into believing that they knew what they were doing. Yes, I was that naive.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
gerbick, I don't see a need for any reminder. Seems a few people don't have a memory as long as they believe they had and now they try to construct something in the past that never happened that way. Based on a rather academical discussion about the right term for some benefit we offered to a few people. I apologise for any confusion the possibly poor wording chosen a few years ago might have caused, however the facts never been stated incorrectly by Neo900 UG and the whole issue is not relevant anymore no matter what, since we don't offer that benefit anymore to new supporters since a long time and we won't change the original agreement retroactively.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Seems a few people don't have a memory as long as they believe they had and now they try to construct something in the past that never happened that way.
There's even a pseudo-academic term for it - "Mandela effect"

Either way, I just got a strange idea about "step 2" (much too soon to talk about it, but...) - take the Pyra, remove all the gaming controls crap above the keyboard, and mount the screen as a slider, not as a clamshell (so more like N900 than old Motorla Razr), add mic and speaker for calling and voila - you have a very fat Galaxy Note, but with linux on it, and much more powerful When I get my Pyra, I might buy another one and profane it trying to play with 3d printer and my poor electronic skills... Might still be easier than Neo900 project though, as electronic mods to Pyra are minimal (the mainboard doesn't even need to be modified, only the controls ripped off, and mic+speaker added somehow), mainly mechanical ones I'm hyped with 3d printing since I got my reprap i3 pro, forgive me slight off-topic, I felt the need to share this idea with someone

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
misiak, this isn't off topic. actually I thought about starting a new thread like "STEP2 ideas" just yesterday. Please feel free to copy/move your post to such a new thread, it's actuially pretty close to what the STEP2 might be though I'd prefer a more slim design
[edit] on a slightly funny sidenote, not only the Pyra shares many components like sensors and modem with Neo900 and thus would make for an excellent devel device for STEP2 which would most likely inherit those from its predecessor Neo900. Also back during or shortly after Openmoko times, and quite a long time before N900 been mentioned anywhere, Carsten rasterman Haitzler and me approached the Pandora team about the idea to add a modem and earpiece/mic to the Pandora which would have resulted in a N900-alike device by specs. Alas they were not interested back when

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2017-08-28 at 23:10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
misiak, this isn't off topic. actually I thought about starting a new thread like "STEP2 ideas" just yesterday. Please feel free to copy/move your post to such a new thread, it's actuially pretty close to what the STEP2 might be though I'd prefer a more slim design
I will gladly move there when the tread will be started, and would also prefer more slim design, but I can live with "fat galaxy note". In 8th generation it is 162.5 mm × 74.8 mm × 8.6 mm vs 139 mm x 87 mm x 32 mm of Pyra, so actually Pyra is:
  • 2.6 mm shorter,
  • only 12.2 mm wider
  • and notably 23.4 mm, or almost 4 times thicker...

But that's the price of physical keyboard and open, modular and easily servicable/upgradeable hardware I suppose... Let's not forget Pyra is supposed to have various parts, like CPU, easily upgradable in the future, so something based on it and compatible with it, but in a more phone/phablet/crapblet-but-still-usable-to-make-calls-too form-factor will make me furiously throw money at it.

Meanwhile, let's focus on Neo900 again

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
gerbick, I don't see a need for any reminder. Seems a few people don't have a memory as long as they believe they had and now they try to construct something in the past that never happened that way. Based on a rather academical discussion about the right term for some benefit we offered to a few people. I apologise for any confusion the possibly poor wording chosen a few years ago might have caused, however the facts never been stated incorrectly by Neo900 UG and the whole issue is not relevant anymore no matter what, since we don't offer that benefit anymore to new supporters since a long time and we won't change the original agreement retroactively.
Understood. We differ but I can appreciate your stance. I'm all for clear, concise and accurate communication. It may enhance your endeavors more than anything else - outside of delivery of the Neo900 that is.

Regardless of my own input on this potentially confusing matter, just hope that we all come to an understanding rather quickly and move on.

Nothing like cyclic discussions to bog down any progress that can be made.

Take care and good luck on your endeavors. All, let's continue to hope for the best.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!