Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by toki View Post
random but.. I don't know what I did to my jolla, but the app drawer was able to rotate landscape

I thought it was a new feature that I just never realised was there..

but then after opening an app.. and went back to the app drawer.. its locked to portrait again...

wonder how I got it to go landscape. was excited for a second lol
Something triggered a glitch in lipstick, probably
The functionality is there of course, just not enabled. That's why it is so easy to patch in.

AFAIK, if the app is in landscape mode, app drawer will also be in landscape by design. Some elements of UI rotate but not all, it should be easily patchable but I do hope that Jolla will make the UI rotate by default. Since Symbian there has not been a mobile OS to do that...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
AFAIK, if the app is in landscape mode, app drawer will also be in landscape by design.
This! If you open the app drawer from a landscape app, it will be in landscape.
There is a free rotate patch that allows landscape orientation in any screen, including home. Then the app drawer will also open in landscape.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Are there any softwares to define which applications will start up automatically after (re)boot ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-10-28 at 16:24.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Are there any software to define which applications will start up automatically after (re)boot ?
Don't know about GUI file or if there's a dbus method, but you could look at systemd unit files for one way.

The Arch wiki has a resonable overview (and some refs at the bottom) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

Though I don't know how much SFOS changes any of this stuff from the standard installs (I don't *think* it's much, but I've not played with it much, or recently).

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, I'm in Switzerland and brought my Jolla phone with me. Bought a Swiss com pay as you go sim card. Initially it was not working until I realized you have to dial 00 first for the call to be made. Often I found that listed numbers don't explicitly show the 00 and sometimes people replace the 00 with + but I don't see how to do that with the Jolla phone keypad. (Maybe this is just a symbolic representation of 00?). So is it possible to set up or modify the phone app so you don't need the 00

tap '*' twice, there is '+' underneath as a hint

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
tap '*' twice, there is '+' underneath as a hint
Ah cool. Thanks. But if I tap twice to get the + I might as well tap the 0 twice... Guess the + is better aesthetically. Oh, well it is not really that important... Having used the Note Edge for awhile I have to admit it takes a little time to get used to getting around the Jolla phone. Some of the UI is really nice. I like it that you can tap the screen and four icons appear (for me phone, messages, internet and camera). Also the little gmail notification appears. I like that too. But if I just decide to pull up the app tray the little gmail notification temporarily appears and then disappears. Seems a little weird as pulling up app tray shouldn't trigger that. Maybe something wrong with my phone?

Not really sure what to reply, as long as my memory serves + was either double tap * or 0 (or hold either one of them until it turns to +), since phone keypads use * and # as default extra symbols and you are right that functionally 00 == +. Not much to add to that, rest is silica discussion, where everyone has their own preferences and can fix the UI once and for all until another person disagrees and has better vision for it, patches seem the way to go, everyone can submit their own, maybe propose a patch contest on tjc? Openrepos have dl statistics, so prop your UI argument with the fact thousands have downloaded your patch, so it is obviously right? (worked for toggles in event view in a way)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Regarding the +, it is called the international dialing prefix. Different countries use different prefixes. In most of Europe, the prefix is 00, followed by the country code, followed by the number (which, depending on the country, may have an area code). For example, the UK country code is 44 and the area code of Oxford is 1865, so calling a number in Oxford from Switzerland would be 00 44 1865 123456.

To simplify international dialing, GSM networks use + to stand for the international dialing code wherever you are. If you are in Europe, + stands for 00. In the US, it stands for 011 and in Australia, for 0011 (the Aussies do not like calling abroad, do they? ). It makes sense to store numbers in your phone book with + for the prefix because it will always work correctly when roaming, without having to worry what the local prefix is.

How to get the + depends on the phone. Some phones use a long press on * or #, others a double press. You are right that a double press on one key versus a double press on another key makes little difference but it starts making a difference when you move to a country with a different prefix.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience