Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I didn't say they will be. Yes, they are working on such an infrastructure for partnering shops, but my guess is that it won't be free too. Anyway, that's for paid apps, for free apps (especially WebRuntime) you need to do one time registration and a fee of 50EUR. Maybe free Maemo/MeeGo apps will fall in this category, but for Symbian I understand there will be more fees even for free apps (not much more though, only to get a product ID). We at least have Extras.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
i dont think you can really charge anyone for free (Open Source) apps with MeeGo.
I have compiled and installed software in an Linux environment before and im sure its also possible with MeeGo.
Maybe if they Tivoize it with the closed Mode, but they *said* this wont happen.
If the Community is active enough, there will be lots of free apps an many HowTos about them.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The companies involved in MeeGo can to a certain degree control the implementation of their version of MeeGo.

For example, Nokia's implementation of MeeGo includes binary-only software (battery management & phone app) and you cannot redistribute the image.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but do you have to enter the IMEI code from your n900 to download the image & agree to a license agreement?

Also the development of the gui part of MeeGo is closed (for the time being)?

I know this all sounds a bit "Richard Stallman" (I might even start playing the flute) but it is something that concerns me.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Yes, but there's no reason that the Ovi store will be a monopoly for MeeGo apps.
There *is* a reason. You will be able to install (in the DRM mode) only software signed by the manufacturer (at least this is how Harmattan’s security model works). In other words, you will only be able to install commercial stuff that Nokia signed off on. So it’s actually very easy for Nokia to ensure it gets a cut from anything bought, either directly by selling through Ovi or indirectly from a federated store.

At some point in the future I will upgrade my n900.

One of my main criteria is "How open is it?" - I want control over the device I bought and not relinquish that basic right to a corporation.

If I buy a MeeGo device I want one where all the source code (of MeeGo) is available and where development is performed out in the open.

I hate to say it but Intel's version fits that criteria more than Nokia.

However Intel insist on the minimum requirement of a SSSE3-enabled processor. Older computers need not apply. These kind of systems would benefit enormously, save a few from the "land fill" and be more environmentally friendly.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-04-16 at 08:11. Reason: That's SSSE3 not SSE3 - thanks Attila77 I always make that mistake!

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There *is* a reason. You will be able to install (in the DRM mode) only software signed by the manufacturer (at least this is how Harmattan’s security model works).
On the DRM side does this theoretically mean there would be various storefronts from different manufacturers with DRM restricting the use on a different branded device?

I would really like it if they embrace the Android model of one market place.
Of course Nokia's case is unique in that they have their own services like music and maybe even 1st party apps

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I hate to say it but Intel's version fits that criteria more than Nokia.
For better or worse, it's not that surprising since Intel is in the hardware business, and Nokia is moving towards a services based business.

However Intel insist on the minimum requirement of a SSE3-enabled processor. Older computers need not apply. These kind of systems would benefit enormously, save a few from the "land fill" and be more environmentally friendly.
That's SSSE3, not SSE3 (which makes the issue that much worse).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
On the DRM side does this theoretically mean there would be various storefronts from different manufacturers with DRM restricting the use on a different branded device?

I would really like it if they embrace the Android model of one market place.
Of course Nokia's case is unique in that they have their own services like music and maybe even 1st party apps
It was stated that the stores would be federated. This means that you would see one source/store on your device, but the actual content/apps could be coming from different places. With the DRM mechanism mentioned above the manufacturer can ensure only content they want gets sold/run on a particular device. Note that this means nothing with regard to the OPEN mode - it's not the manufacturer that is potentially depraving you but the publisher of the software (as he makes the business choice of what distribution channel he will use and in what mode will its software install).

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It was stated that the stores would be federated. This means that you would see one source/store on your device, but the actual content/apps could be coming from different places. With the DRM mechanism mentioned above the manufacturer can ensure only content they want gets sold/run on a particular device. Note that this means nothing with regard to the OPEN mode - it's not the manufacturer that is potentially depraving you but the publisher of the software (as he makes the business choice of what distribution channel he will use and in what mode will its software install).
It really depends on what "terms & conditions" you have to sign when you publish an app.

E.g. "You agree not to sell the application via other distribution channels", "...sell the application for a lower price elsewhere.."

Then again we can speculate all we like I just hope there are not any "gotchas" until things are released.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
It really depends on what "terms & conditions" you have to sign when you publish an app.

E.g. "You agree not to sell the application via other distribution channels", "...sell the application for a lower price elsewhere.."
Yes, bad wording on my part, I meant publisher as in distributor, whoever has the DRM keys, e.g. Vodafone, Ovi, etc, not the development studio that actually makes the app.