Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
How can a drm protection scheme fulfil the gplv3 requirements?

I have asked this question many times and the answer always was either "don't worry, everything will be ok" or "i just don't know". But i think this question deserves a real answer as it's not some proprietary nokia/intel code we are talking about.
The first time you asked was in the Maemo Summit and the clear answer was that there is no software licensed with GPLv3 in Harmattan.

In MeeGo the use of GNU (L)GPL version 2.x is encouraged.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The first time you asked was in the Maemo Summit and the clear answer was that there is no software licensed with GPLv3 in Harmattan.
Oh, i assumed that was just the state at that time and not by purpose. Elena on the other hand just had no idea what to answer and about the implications of the GPLv3.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In MeeGo the use of GNU (L)GPL version 2.x is encouraged.
That page does not mention that the intended limitation has anything to do with DRM etc. Also "encouraged" seems rather odd if the introduction of GPLv3 code will lock the resulting device out of any shop system (be it app stores or content stores) and will cut the user off some off his personal data stored on the device.

Android is an example of this. Any home-compiled/unofficial android version does not have access to the app stores and thus bascially nobody is using such versions except for demo purposes.

How will access of MeeGo devices to things like app stores be controlled? Sure "open" devices will not have access to any store (as they could otherwise just re-distribute any downloaded app).
How tight will the limits be for a MeeGo device? Who verifies that a MeeGo device can be trusted and is allowed access to the store infrastructure? What happened if i wanted to build a device myself? Or if i port MeeGo to some so-far unsupported plattform? Will the resulting "open" device be locked out of any app store? And do you still expect there to be a marked for "open" devices if they won't have shop access?

My concern is that the "open" path will just die. How many of the current n900 users would "close" their device if this would give them access to apps/drm stuff? And would the resulting two user groups still be big enough to survive independently?

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2010-04-06 at 12:57.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Oh, i assumed that was just the state at that time and not by purpose. Elena on the other hand just had no idea what to answer and about the implications of the GPLv3.
She hesitated giving details about Harmattan content at that time. This is why Peter helped giving the answer. Of course Elena was aware about the implications of GPLv3, just like any Linux security expert is.

If you have questions about MeeGo licensing, security framework, etc meego-dev is the place to ask. In fact there was already something about GPLv3 some weeks ago.

For the rest, let me just insist that the security framework itself is not limiting, but the configuration each device vendor applies on it. If you don't like how open MeeGo device A is then go for MeeGo device B. If the problem is about app store A only delivering software for closed devices then choose another alternative.

My concern is that the "open" path will just die.
I'm not concerned. On the contrary, I think MeeGo pushes openness to the mobile industry and mainstream like no platform has done before. (I should be a person to be concerned about MeeGo openness since my paid job is quite related to it)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Just to clarify this a bit for myself (im having trouble understandig this whole thing) as an Enduser (no developer or anything)

- i will be able to install a fully functional Open MeeGo system. It will have some closed Components (Battery Management...) in it but it wont have DRM and stuff. Its just not Redistibutable.

- i will be able to install everything i want in this open environment (as long as it doesnt need the DRM-functions of the closed System)

- an open System will still be suported as much as possible and wont be "banned" because its "evil-communistic-terroristic" or anything. (like Jailbreaked i-Phones or hacked X-Boxes or Linuxusers)
Of course "as much as possible" is an importand part and widely defined. Could make an Answer a little bit difficult.