Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Europe based here. Jolla is no option for you due to your US location or due to other things?
Due mostly to how our carriers in the US decided to use proprietary "standards" for 3G, 4G and LTE - the Jolla phone would be 2G (at best) in the US at the moment. Lack of support isn't Jolla's problem in the US - our carriers are pretty much all over the place.

Keeping Google out is easy on Jolla - don't install the Android ACL. Limits your app capabilities, but isn't the privacy worth it?

(37)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Keeping Google out is easy on Jolla - don't install the Android ACL. Limits your app capabilities, but isn't the privacy worth it?

(37)
It would work out that way in case I'd just want to use the phone for email/sms/mms/internet/calendar. But communicating with friends needs me to get whatsapp - or a better alternative they can run on their iOS/Android Phones.
Some apps are too useful to pass like the from the "Deutsche Bahn" for trains schedule and tickets directly sent to the phone.
Yes, those "needed" apps are limited but very useful. Just in this case I don't need to print out the ticket but can get it while on the run.
Looking up train schedules on the internet takes way more time (at least it did on my n900) than it does in the app.

Refectory plan apps are available too, easy access to university internal stuff, For other things I need to learn QT/C++ myself I fear.

At this point Firefox as browser is also needed (for me) the native Sailfish browser (locked in google search!) doesn't do it plus a music player.

Would you suggest me to keep the Jolla Phone then instead of working my way through the rooted Android jungle?

Last edited by RX-51; 2014-01-03 at 01:39.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Consider the MotoG or Nexus 5...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
settings > apps > browser > search engine

and whatsapp (mitakuuluu) is already available as I can see on the right side of this page

I can pretty much survive without dalvik and the N900 in the other pocket. In other words, business as usual.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
If going for an android device, considering your needs for privacy you may want to look for one compatible with Replicant or Cyanogenmod. But pay attention to the details, some devices are said to be compatible with these firmwares but some annoying bugs may remain (eg GPS malfunction).

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
settings > apps > browser > search engine

and whatsapp (mitakuuluu) is already available as I can see on the right side of this page

I can pretty much survive without dalvik and the N900 in the other pocket. In other words, business as usual.
You are right, search engines are limited to Google, Bing and Yahoo. I've just named Google as privacy hunting example

Seems we got workarounds now http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...9&goto=newpost though this is not what I'm looking for on my mobile right now - workarounds.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
The Note 3 is just huuuge, hard to be put into the pocket of a trouser, tried it again today
The Nexus 4 seems to have problems with battery life and camera from what I read. Something that rules out the Nexus Series is the lack of memory extension by e.g. sdcards.
Good point about the Nexus 4 although I was thinking of it as a temporary solution. Btw with the GMD gestures you can set up many gestures based on the edge of the screen so that you can do quite a few things one handed despite the size of the GN3. Also, I set up a double tap to put me in recent apps which is convenient. Anyways, I have no problem putting the GN3 in my front pants pocket. Have you considered a fashion makeover and getting baggier pants... Just kidding...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
You can put the LG G2 on your list, has a bigger screen than the N5 (also a much more lasting battery and better camera) and evenn is only 0.3 inch bigger it is noticeable and better, drop the N5 personally and keeped the G2. price - less than 400 (new).

..Or the Z30 but I guess is about 100 more expensive...

..Or the N4 (have it too) which someone mentione before which has a built that I prefer to G2 or N5, and you can have it for less than 200 euros..

Phew - thanks for all the feedback! I'm really torn apart now; either keep the Jolla OR get me a cheaper Android like the Nexus 4 or Moto G to bridge the time until the second Jolla phone is available OR get me a LG G2.

Opinions appreciated

Last edited by RX-51; 2014-01-03 at 22:59.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
...though this is not what I'm looking for on my mobile right now - workarounds...
I very much want to say keep the Jolla, but the above quote pretty much closes that opportunity for me.

With the right workarounds and some patience I believe the Jolla will become an awesome phone in the next few months. If you want a hassle-free experience get an iPhone, no insult intended.

It's not the hackable or free or tinkerable phone, but it's not the 2007 crippled device either.

I was pretty happy with the Z10 too, if you excuse it's abysmal battery life. Awesome screen and a complete/productive OS.

I would stay away from android for all it's privacy issues and the low quality of experience it offers. Nexuses are a bit better in that regard, but most branded devices are just an ugly mix of icons, different app designs and ads. Of course you can customise to your hearts desire, but you know... workarounds.

P.S. I don't think I've been helpful here after all, but anyway, food for thought :P

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: