Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
So this still happens for some weird reason. I can't reproduce neither Kossuth's nor D@vIcHoJD's behavior but I will take a look at my code and see what can be done.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
The bug D@vIcHoJD reported should be fixed now. Kossuth, please update, reboot (or killall timenowd), and check again, maybe the changes have an effect on your bug too. It happened to me too. Now at least I have something to test against.

(On the other hand there is no code to unlock the device in timenow, and no combination of powerbutton presses unlocks the device. I don't know what could be happening)

And I found a bug in hildon desktop too Go to the lockscreen and press ctrl+backspace to see what happens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Updated and with few minutes testing (lifting finger from the sensor) everything seems to work fine. Now I'll start testing it in actual use.

Btw, the need to stop-killall-start went away already with your previous version. I just have to say, absolutely and totally awesome work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
The issues I had encountered earlier were (most likely) caused by timenow and powerlock interfering with each other. I have just removed powerlock and 0.0.10 is now absolutely awesome. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
I accidentally reproduced two old bugs this morning. After installing the 0.0.10 version yesterday, I noticed this morning as I took the phone from my pocket and unlocked it with the slider as the lockscreen was visible, it opened the desktop as expected, but second later just as I was about to press the clock to adjust the alarm, the powerbutton menu slid open and I accidentally pressed "reboot" button I had placed there instead of clock. After the reboot, I had to do again the stop-killall-start, but couldn't reproduce the powerbutton menubug even though I tried hard. As if the rebooting cured the bug from me (maybe this is the reason why I didn't see it before, because I was always testing after installing if I had to do the killall-routine after rebooting). Well now it works for me, I dont mind the killall-routine at all anymore.

Also before rebooting, I might have experienced an anomaly, that when I covered the sensor while the desktop was active, it showed the lockscreen. I'm not sure about this, but it is also gone now after reboot. (not sure about this, but when your in such hurry that you don't have time to lock the phone before you put it in pocket, you really don't have time to investigate its behavior)

Ps. with yesterdays upgrade (apt-get upgrade) came over 50 cssu updates, so they might have someting to do with this?

Pps. this post only to inform about my findings, I'm happy user now, thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Kossuth I think I know why you saw the old bug: The uninstall script stops timenow but stop does not relegate to the actual timenow process, (that's why killall is needed) so after the installation of the upgraded package there were two timenow daemons running. The old and the new.

Now we've got to solve the need to stop and kill each reboot. One obvious workaround is to put this procedure in the init script, but that's an ugly workaround.

The thing is that I change batteries atleast twice a week and timenow always starts ok after boot. Please check whether there are more than 1 timenow related files in /etc/event.d

The only other thing I can think of is purging timenow, making sure that there is no timenow.conf in /etc/event.d + /etc/init.d and reinstalling. (kill everything between)

Please also do
Code:
~ $ ps aux | grep timenowd
just after boot.

result here is
Code:
~ $ ps aux | grep timenowd
 1246 user      2640 S    sh -c run-standalone.sh /opt/timenowd/bin/timenowd
 1320 user     27736 S    /opt/timenowd/bin/timenowd
 1611 user      2644 S    grep timenowd

There is timenow.conf from 7.9.2012 (I installed latest version yesterday 11.9.2012?) and proximityd from 24.1.2012 in etc/event.d folder, is this how it's supposed to be?

I'll try the purging when I have some extra time in the evening.
Edit: and also your suggested ps aux.... command

Last edited by Kossuth; 2012-09-12 at 06:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
That seems correct. Another thing I can think of if everything else fails is to try installing shortcutd and see if that fixes timenow (maybe shortcutd does something at boot to start proximityd, i'll check it's upstart jobs later) I don't have that installed however so that does not explain why it works here.

Here are the results:

$ ps aux | grep timenowd
1805 user 2084 S sh -c run-standalone.sh /opt/timenowd/bin/timenowd
1848 user 2084 S /bin/sh /usr/bin/run-standalone.sh /opt/timenowd/bin/
1981 user 25076 S /opt/timenowd/bin/timenowd
3269 user 2088 S grep timenowd
~ $

I'll try the purging later and also the shortcutd.