Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Yes, but the same James officially recommends to concentrate on F5121
If you are not keen to adapt the port yourself and become a heroic porter, it is not advised to get any other device. Especially if you want official Jolla support.
Until further official notice this is. Patience is advised.
I'm with you on this one. I bought F5121 for my gf and I would like to get F5122 for myself but I can wait until September when Jolla comes out with more news.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Given the time and money Jolla spent on Xperia X I would assume this is a one time event. Even if a lot of the work can be reused I predict that Jolla will abandoning this effort soon.
It depends on how successful this method is in bringing new people into the sailfish os world.

This is a new strategy for Jolla, considering they cannot convince anyone to build first-party devices for the european market and so who knows? But if very few people actually buy the image, then yes I expect they will give up on the idea fairly quickly.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
It depends on how successful this method is in bringing new people into the sailfish os world.

This is a new strategy for Jolla, considering they cannot convince anyone to build first-party devices for the european market and so who knows? But if very few people actually buy the image, then yes I expect they will give up on the idea fairly quickly.
This is something that needed to be done. It is a lot harder to sell a phone OS without a showcase. Just by having an OS in the top-of-the line hardware lifts up the profile of the OS.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
This is something that needed to be done. It is a lot harder to sell a phone OS without a showcase. Just by having an OS in the top-of-the line hardware lifts up the profile of the OS.
Also, they need developers more than they need "normal users", to close the app gap. Attracting only/mostly developer types (people who are happy to install the OS on existing hardware they bought separately) probably isn't a problem from Jolla's point of view.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Also, they need developers more than they need "normal users", to close the app gap. Attracting only/mostly developer types (people who are happy to install the OS on existing hardware they bought separately) probably isn't a problem from Jolla's point of view.
Their missing out a lot on paid apps. I know not everyone agree on this but any eco system would need free but also paid apps.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
For those who are looking for a Sony Xperia X, I'm selling mine (band new):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...73#post1533773

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Girondinho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I did not see below test before I bought my XZs.

Getting my device next week. But it seems I have choosed correct between XZ and XZs. Let's hope some SFOS fans buys this device so we can see SFOS on it 2018

Multitasking is faster since more memory.

https://youtu.be/4mzSIositu4?t=554

Now it really would be epic to see sailfishos (and dalvik) on that device....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know if there is progress on releasing build directions to compile the sailfish image?
I find myself with a long weekend and I'd like to spend it sailfishly.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to one_with_linux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by explit View Post
That doesn't matters, i flashed this CDA 1301-2283 Commercial and Journalist. Its Android 6.0

Afterwards you can extract TA-Partition (DRM-Keys) and upgrade to your CDA (Android 7.1.1) again.

The whole process of Downgrade, TA-Extraction and Bootloader Unlock is very well described here. But its unfortunately in German.

http://sailfishmods.de/2017/07/howto...ys-bootloader/

Maybe this will help non-experts in downgrading to Android 6.

I struggled a lot with the downgrade. That is because I am not so handy especially with Androids nor computers in general. However, if I have good instructions I can manage even Linux :-)

So, always as I flashed 6.0 phone went to bootloop.
However, I could successfully flash Android 7 versions.

Took some time to realize that stored userdata has to be wiped in flashing process, as I had initialized the phone with personal data.

My process in Windows 10:

(previously had installed Xperia Companion and XperiFirm)
Installed flashtool 0.9.23.1. It did not work but after updating to 0.9.23.2 (=replacing x10flasher.jar with a newer version) it worked.

Used F5121_34.0.A.2.301_R8A_Nordic Generic_1302-3140.tft from http://www.gsm-file.com/ .
(Had tried direct downloads from XperiFirm in flashtool, but flashing struggled with that userdata problem, those should have worked too)

In flashtool Firmware Selector remember to select USERDATA under Wipe.
I did not change other defaults and flashing was successful.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Unreasonable Behaviour View Post
Blog Post is done:

Introducing Sailfish X and all the details you want to know

https://blog.jolla.com/sailfishx/

From the blog: "Availability: EU, Norway, Switzerland; US & CA to be confirmed"

Does that mean US will definitely get support, or is that a "maybe, it's on the table"? I ask because I'm probably buying an X today if I can get SFOS on it in the US.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x