Active Topics

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
As for bme, everything needed for battery charging and charge metering has datasheets available. Creating an opensource battery charge management daemon is entirely possible and doable in less than a week if someone has a couple of days spare time.
Yes, I think one has been written and IIRC the problem is that Nokia refuses to release the necessary parameters for safe charging of the BL-5J.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
What is needed for me to buy the "N950":

1. Qwerty keyboard stays.
2. Sturdy usb port
3. Overall more powerful hw than N900.
4. All hw drivers open enough to be included in a meego build (giving an upgrade path without depending on Nokia)
My finger is touching the end of my nose whilst my other paw is pointing right at your list. Spot on. Although, I would add a 5th element which is that Nokia also needs to provide competitive hardware support such that they're at LEAST as good as their competitors (replacement parts, repair and service locations as well as presence in stores so that their hardware is sold in a place where you can return it if you need a replacement right away, standard ports, etc.)

If they don't meet at LEAST the openness and support, then they're no better than anyone else. You would have to weigh their competitors against Nokia and find Nokia lacking or at least not any better.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yes, I think one has been written and IIRC the problem is that Nokia refuses to release the necessary parameters for safe charging of the BL-5J.
So wait--what happened to open-development? I remember sometime back when I argued about how Nokia wasn't very open-sourced because of mountains of closed-source and locked dependencies, someone tried to argue something along the lines of, "Yeah well.. Nokia may have a lot of closed-source in Maemo, but they have a lot more open-development.. and THAT'S what matters!"
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I doubt Microsoft has any true say, and if the post regarding the Developer Edition of MeeGo for the N900 is accurate, with luck the device will be fully functional.

The only two closed blobs left are BME and the SGX drivers. And only Stskeeps has enough insight to say if they have the sources and whether or not Nokia could interfere with them.
It should be obvious that with the recent news about MeeGo on the N900, the MS-Nokia "marriage" is no such thing. Cooperation on smartphones running WP and the ecosystem - yes, but that's it. Nokia could go Android, and have no saying in the future of the OS or the ecosystem. They went for MS because that would give them much more influence on both, yet they still pay licensing fees like everybody else for the OS.

If MeeGo for devices is like MeeGo for netbooks, there will never be a fully universally out of the box functional distro anywhere, unless someone else provide it. The reason being drivers. Even though closed drivers are readily available from manufacturers, and installing them is easy enough for the average hacker, MeeGo.com will never include closed drivers with the distro. For the common user MeeGo is worthless, it doesn't work out of the box for most hardware, but for the average Linux user there is no problem unless you are an open source nazi (but of course, reinstalling the closed blobs after each little upgrade of the kernel, is a nuisance of epic proportions, more than enough to prevent it from being an everyday OS for anyone). But, the point is that anyone can redistribute MeeGo and include closed source blobs. This will be no different than what Ubuntu or Jolicloud are doing. But who would do it, and for what purpose? A much better business proposal would be to get some OEM build the HW, and sell it with a custom made MeeGo.

This is why Nokias recent (re)involvement with MeeGo is so intriguing. They are not simply adding their "touch" to a fully operational MeeGo, they are developing core phone functionality to make MeeGo fully operational as a phone OS on ARM. That functionality can also be used on Intel. I am sure that when WP is starting to take over from Symbian and things are going well in a year or so, we will start seeing MeeGo devices coming from Nokia.

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-03-06 at 10:36.

You keep saying "resent". "I do not think that word means what you think it means." Perhaps you keep meaning "recent"?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
So wait--what happened to open-development? I remember sometime back when I argued about how Nokia wasn't very open-sourced because of mountains of closed-source and locked dependencies, someone tried to argue something along the lines of, "Yeah well.. Nokia may have a lot of closed-source in Maemo, but they have a lot more open-development.. and THAT'S what matters!"
The super-geniality of Google in this is the good cop/bad cop approach. Nokia is actually pretty much in line with other vendors in this regard (and if you check kernel, X, etc contributions you can see that it's not in a bad spot at all) - Google sidesteps this elegantly as it does not deal with the hardware. Thus with Nokia you have one corp with all the goods and the bads, but with, say, Android you have the setup where you can lull yourself into 'siding' with good cop Google and hating (but essentially still giving in to) bad cop vendors/carriers.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
You keep saying "resent". "I do not think that word means what you think it means." Perhaps you keep meaning "recent"?
the "grammer polease" has arrived to TMO!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to automagic68 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
OK now sir?

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
the "grammer polease" has arrived to TMO!!!
Haha, poor danramos. This reminds me when a couple of months ago he tried to tell some native Portuguese speakers how to speak Portuguese. LOL!

;-)

We can use conservative parameters by studying the ranges of parameters in datasheets of different battery cells in the same size class. I'm using 0.7C charge myself, which is the lowest rate I've seen mentioned in datasheets, and also I've never seen bme charge faster than that. 4.2V, because only only a handful of cells tolerate anything higher, and those are mostly used in laptops anyway afaik.

The open question is thermal, when it's too hot to charge and too cold to charge.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
OK now sir?
I suppose I'm satisfied. I approve.

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Haha, poor danramos. This reminds me when a couple of months ago he tried to tell some native Portuguese speakers how to speak Portuguese. LOL!

;-)
They weren't speaking Portuguese, they were speaking Brazilian-Portuguese! (Admittingly, they're somewhat different--but it isn't different enough to matter in that particular conversation.. but STILL!) Actually, I was trying to learn from them--not correcting them.

Tags
bada bing, bada rox, bada rulez, bada suckss, bada sux, lam bada, lol @ bada, nokia defiled, science fiction