Notices

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I'm not sure if the following things are bugs only on my side or in Webcat in general, or not implemented yet. Could any other user comment on the following issues?

- Tabs are not restored when closing Webcat and reopening it, and I see no option for that.
- Links in other applications do not open new tabs in Webcat if it's already running, and just give focus to the current tab in Webcat without loading the new URL (I have set Webcat as the default browser using Mimer).
- "harbour-webcat --set-default" does not work anymore. I get a lengthy error that I can post later if interested Llelectronics (not on my Jolla currently).
- Links in Android application can be opened with Android browsers or Sailfish browser, but not Webcat despite it being set as default using Mimer.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-08 at 23:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
for me tor not working ,either custom userAgent. Also will nice implement long press to go at home, 3 taps to close current tab.

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I don't know which fault it is, but if I enter via webcat my nextcloud the complete webview is broken and anusable. That doesn't happen with Firefox mobile.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post

- Tabs are not restored when closing Webcat and reopening it, and I see no option for that.
- Links in other applications do not open new tabs in Webcat if it's already running, and just give focus to the current tab in Webcat without loading the new URL
I also stumbled about those two.
The links that don't open if the browser is already opened seems more an sailfish/Xperia problem (if you are also on xperia? because I also have this problem with the original browser and never had it on J1 nor on Aquafish)
You can restore your session by using the pulley menu, opening the "history" and choose "load last session".
Well this is an option, but I would also prefer to load the session on start. Maybe there is some way with the about:...???

The Following User Says Thank You to breiti_oi For This Useful Post:
There is currently no way to restore session on startup of Webcat.
So manually restoring is the only option for now.

Even that tends to overload older devices like Jolla 1 and slows them down to a point where it asks to close the app or wait.

When it comes to setting as default that should be fixed with a newer mimer version. (Fix landed in git version aswell of webcat)

I don't know which fault it is, but if I enter via webcat my nextcloud the complete webview is broken and anusable.
Which version of QtWebkit do you use Webcat with?
It works for me with QtWebkit 5.212
edit: Can confirm it looks a bit broken with QtWebkit 5.6.2

Note also that the new layout for the toolbar is a bit borked when opening Webcat with only one tab: everything is left aligned instead of using all the width as normal,
Screenshot or didn't happen :P
edit: On second read I think you are describing the landscape view. Which in this case is exactly how it should look like (it was a feature request from a fellow Jolla Tablet user)

Feature request: could we have a "close current tab on long press on the tab icon"?
We had long presses already and I moved it out because it was conflicting with compositor swipes to minimize the window on several devices.

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2018-07-09 at 20:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the History/Restore last session option, I didn't notice the Pulley in the history. Very convenient and I think it's a good alternative. That way I can restore it only when I want to, which is probably 50% of the time, not bad.

Llelectronics, what is the preferred method at the moment, "harbour-webcat --set-default" or Mimer? The former throws an error on my Jolla C now (although the command still exists), but if Mimer is the recommended way, it's all good.

Can you comment on the behavior when the browser is already running and the user clicks on a link in another application? Breiti_oi is right that it happens with the Sailfish browser as well, so is there no workaround? It's a real annoyance since the OS doesn't allow to copy/paste links from everywhere (e.g., events feed, e-mails), so we can't always manually open a new tab and paste the URL. At least with Sailfish browser, we can close it, tap on the link, and Sailfish browser will open with the previous tabs and the new tab. In Webcat, it will be either the new tab or the previous session, not both.

Can Qtwebkit 5.212 and 5.6.2 be easily swapped using your OpenRepos package now, or is it still manual to revert to the vanilla version before a Sailfish upgrade?

The issue I described with the toolbar was in portrait orientation, I'll send a screenshot next time it happens. I'm not sure how to reproduce it, it seems a bit random at the moment, still need to identify the causal factor.

Not sure I understand the conflict with the compositor swipe, but in that case a triple tap as suggested by Karlos devel above would work too. A fast way to close tabs with one move and without changing the view would be a noticeable improvement in terms of user experience.

Cheers, and thanks again for your amazing work on this browser!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Which version of QtWebkit do you use Webcat with?
It works for me with QtWebkit 5.212
edit: Can confirm it looks a bit broken with QtWebkit 5.6.2
I thought Jolla updated QtWebkit with the last update. But now I recognize, that they didn't. So I'm still on 5.6.2..

But I can't update to 5.2.12, because I can't make a backup of the original packages:

Code:
Fatal error: File './qt/armv7hl/libqtwebkit5-5.6.2+git5-1.3.1.armv7hl.rpm' not found on medium 'https://releases.jolla.com/releases/2.2.0.29/jolla/armv7hl/'
Edit: Forget it, I just had to
Code:
pkcon refresh
So I updated to 5.212 and can confirm, that everything looks like it should.
Thanx!!!

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2018-07-10 at 07:13.

It's a bit off-topic, but it would be great to have a Bash script to ease the process of updating to 5.212 for all relevant packages and reverting to 5.6.2 before an OS upgrade, and it would limit the risk of doing mistakes for inexperienced users.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-10 at 13:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Llelectronics, what is the preferred method at the moment, "harbour-webcat --set-default" or Mimer? The former throws an error on my Jolla C now (although the command still exists), but if Mimer is the recommended way, it's all good.
Mimer since its newest version calls actually harbour-webcat --set-default when it detects harbour-webcat being chosen.

So harbour-webcat --set-default should work just fine in setting the correct default browser.
The terminal output however shows Setting as default first and then comes the usual warnings that you get apparently when loading qml stuff from c++ in SailfishOS nowadays.

And then it exits.

I tested on Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet and my Xperia X aswell as the Moto X2 port and it is working fine there.
I even tested it on my Gemini PDA right now and it is working there fine from Mimer.

Can you comment on the behavior when the browser is already running and the user clicks on a link in another application? Breiti_oi is right that it happens with the Sailfish browser as well, so is there no workaround? It's a real annoyance since the OS doesn't allow to copy/paste links from everywhere (e.g., events feed, e-mails), so we can't always manually open a new tab and paste the URL. At least with Sailfish browser, we can close it, tap on the link, and Sailfish browser will open with the previous tabs and the new tab. In Webcat, it will be either the new tab or the previous session, not both.
That sounds like a broken dbus service.
The way how it works is that the default browser is set to a dbus service that either calls the openUrl function of the already running browser or when the browser is not running execute a command to start it.
This should work just fine when harbour-webcat --set-default does its magic of setting the default browser (actually copying over the dbus service file and using it as default).
I found maybe a bug in mimer which might set the webbrowser after harbour-webcat --set-default is running which might lead to an issue.
So maybe you need to manually run harbour-webcat --set-default after setting it as default in mimer.
I will take a look at that when I have more time dealing with it.

Can Qtwebkit 5.212 and 5.6.2 be easily swapped using your OpenRepos package now, or is it still manual to revert to the vanilla version before a Sailfish upgrade?
You can swap it.
Last time upgrading worked fine. But I cannot guarantee it.

The issue I described with the toolbar was in portrait orientation, I'll send a screenshot next time it happens. I'm not sure how to reproduce it, it seems a bit random at the moment, still need to identify the causal factor.
Maybe it was a split second the sensors told it to be in landscape and it started loading landscape UI and then switched to portrait which took a second as it was loading all the components it needs in the background

Not sure I understand the conflict with the compositor swipe, but in that case a triple tap as suggested by Karlos devel above would work too. A fast way to close tabs with one move and without changing the view would be a noticeable improvement in terms of user experience.
I had that and removed it and no one cared :P
Tripple click is confusing as hell from a user perspective.
I am currently out of ideas when it comes to how this can be implemented in any sane way currently without feeling awkward.

Honestly I don't see an issue with the two clicks that we have right now.

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2018-07-11 at 12:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Mimer since its newest version calls actually harbour-webcat --set-default when it detects harbour-webcat being chosen.

So harbour-webcat --set-default should work just fine in setting the correct default browser.
The terminal output however shows Setting as default first and then comes the usual warnings that you get apparently when loading qml stuff from c++ in SailfishOS nowadays.

And then it exits.

I tested on Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet and my Xperia X aswell as the Moto X2 port and it is working fine there.
I even tested it on my Gemini PDA right now and it is working there fine from Mimer.
I had taken a screenshot of the terminal output to show you because it looked like an error and not a simple warning, but after I reinstalled some packages and uninstalled/reinstalled QtWebkit 5.212, it seems to have finally worked correctly. I am not sure what fixed it, probably not QtWebkit, and I haven't even launched Mimer again to start over the procedure. But at least it is working as it should now. Before that, Webcat would be opened from *some* links but some others would still trigger Sailfish Browser, and in any case it would just focus the application but not open new tabs unless the application was closed.

That sounds like a broken dbus service.
The way how it works is that the default browser is set to a dbus service that either calls the openUrl function of the already running browser or when the browser is not running execute a command to start it.
This should work just fine when harbour-webcat --set-default does its magic of setting the default browser (actually copying over the dbus service file and using it as default).
I found maybe a bug in mimer which might set the webbrowser after harbour-webcat --set-default is running which might lead to an issue.
So maybe you need to manually run harbour-webcat --set-default after setting it as default in mimer.
I will take a look at that when I have more time dealing with it.
Same here, Webcat now opens new tabs as it should. This totally changes the experience and I'm glad I finally got it working, although I have no idea what I did. Before my previous post, I already had refreshed the repository and re-installed every single package on my Jolla, so it's puzzling.

You can swap it.
Last time upgrading worked fine. But I cannot guarantee it.
Great, thanks! Then the warning in the description might be a bit confusing now.

I could not upgrade to 2.2.0.29 the last time with QtWebkit 5.212, but I was several Sailfish versions behind.

Maybe it was a split second the sensors told it to be in landscape and it started loading landscape UI and then switched to portrait which took a second as it was loading all the components it needs in the background
Maybe, but then the layout was persisting even after minimizing/refocusing the application. But I can't tell if I changed between landscape and portrait between those manipulations to refresh the sensors. Next time it happens, you'll get a screenshot here and I will try to check if the phone was displaying the landscape UI in the first place.

I had that and removed it and no one cared :P
Tripple click is confusing as hell from a user perspective.
I am currently out of ideas when it comes to how this can be implemented in any sane way currently without feeling awkward.

Honestly I don't see an issue with the two clicks that we have right now.
Now you have at least two people who care in the last few messages here. The problem is opening the tab UI takes some time, there is an animation since the layout is reorganized, you need two hands or big gestures since you need to tap on the left and then on the right, and doing that repeatedly can get old when managing multiple tabs. But it's true that triple tap would probably be very confusing, and often end up in unintentional closes, which is even worse. Long press was my first idea since it is not used for anything else in the UI. Maybe it could be a long press that spawns an icon just above the tab icon, and the user has to swipe is finger (still holding it down) to that new icon to confirm closing, a bit like the pulley system? This would surely prevent unintentional closes.

Of course, it is not vital, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to use that if it was there. Then I am not a coder and I have absolutely no idea how much work that would be, or if it would be worth the effort.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-14 at 12:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, webbrowser