Closed Thread
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Would love to have öäÖÄ letters, but thats just a wet dream.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
ATM plans is to make key-to-character mapping in software side (not to use the integrated mapping possiblity in TCA chip (pain in the arse programming that OTP)) so custom mapping is/will/might be possible.

But then you need to 'customize' the key caps ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The limited english/dutch character set makes it pretty much useless for me personally.

Still, its a great project and I hope all the best for it.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I've found users reporting keys registering twice for one click, with this behavior getting worse with time, and fix with servicing and keyboard replacement by Motorola.
This is either a software problem in the Droid or a cause of the flex-pcb under the domesheet. I very highly doubt this will be an issue!

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
now that we have units going into the "wild", it would be even more important for jolla to start making full rotation support in the entire phone. using a landscape keyboard while the phone is in portrait mode is not ideal, though functional.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
[edit]

Okay, I have decided! I am going through with this and will try to make 100 pieces.

-The 22 heroes that have donated to me are first in line and their donation is converted in a 'qwerty-oh' voucher!
-The next 78 will go to the first people that complete their purchase via the donate button.

Price will be 100 euro's plus shipping. This is a summation of the components, bit of labour, return of investments and a safety factor.
why don't we make it 105 EUR so you can have a beer on me. Must be a Guinness though...

EDIT: However. I won't order one before Landscape mode. sorry if I made you a bit thirsty there...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-24 at 18:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
why don't we make 105 EUR so you can have a beer on me. Must be a Guinness though...

EDIT: However. I won't order one before Landscape mode. sorry if I made you a bit thirsty there...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Word is spreading...

JollaSuomi writes about this project !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
first 10 orders are in! also, a lot of electronics is coming this way!

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Hello,

as much as I wait for a keyboard-OTH and I'm delighted on your initiative, I'm not sure about your current design.

I'm a log term user of mobile devices with keyboard (Psion 5, Psion Revo, Nokia E71, Nokia E7)
From your design image and my experience I discover a lot of wasted space. Also the D-Pad is not really a good investment on space, as we have an brilliant touch screen.
Instead of that huge frame I'd prefer a dedicated row for numbers and extra special keys such as arrows, braces and dedicated punctuation.

On my E7 which is a similar form factor I always used my thumbs for typing. The D-Pad on the right makes it harder for the right thumb to reach the keys.

I'm not aware of any better keyboard. Well the Psion5 Keyboards were great which I even used with touch typing, even the Psion Revo, which is closer to the Jolla form factor was not bad.

However size is not the only matter. The keyboard on my old E71 (Blackberry Formfactor) the tiny keyboard was excellent and I was quicker on that than on the much bigger E7.

Sorry for my destructive comments, I'm just worried that you will spend a lot of work and money and in the end you may be disappointed with the usability.

cheers Jo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmojo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty