Heres one: Where do I get Orb/Orb2?

since this forum usually has multiple threads on most questions, it needs a sticky, or maybe a thread where people only post the answers and the links to the threads where the topic was discussed in detail...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=6103

one FAQ entry could be a list of most commonly used/usefull shell commands... move/rename/delete (which is one command mv i think) etc
and general explanation of the directories in the root. what is what and who is who.

As an answer to SIMPLE flashing with a mac, I'd recommend using the 770 Flasher
http://www.bleb.org/software/770/
On both the n770 I had and the n800 I now am using, this works fine, and is a good starting point for users expecting simplicity of the windows updater.
Enabling RD mode, and more in-depth of flasher does require a basic knowledge of CLI, but those topics aren't really basic level anyway.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
I think this is a great effort... I am getting my N800 today and frankly have a ton of questions... I expect to be scouring forums and google this weekend to find out how to get to a terminal window, install ssh, find out if perl is available. Install gaim, get orb setup, find out if there are any usb charging options or if I need to pony up the cash to buy a car charger and a second AC charger as well as find the best source for downloading apps... I'm guessing that would be maemo.org....

Seeing a sticky thread here where commonly referenced useful answers / descriptions would be helpful for people like me, and could potentially allow people with more experience to form replies that could potentially be used to help others instead of being lost in the context of a specific thread.

Anyway, my two cents... best of luck.

--J

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
my n800 does not have an "any key" how do i continue?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
Hello, I need help... I just got my n800 and paired it to my phone (vx8600 / HTC Wizard) ... my carrier is Verizon, and I have PdaNet installed on the phone.... I got the phone paired to the n800 but have no idea what the connection settings should be to connect to the internet, ie what the dial up number user/password information should be, also if its data call or packet data? any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks in advance

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
my n800 does not have an "any key" how do i continue?
return it for a replacement.

:evil:

I think the FAQ might want to avoid detailed setup instructions for DUN strings, etc to avoid liabilities as these are breach of contract if people use phone-only networking for tethered access, and so on, but instead refer users to some of the more common sites that exist for getting laptops online with cingular, verizon, tmo, etc.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
I think you can add:
- How do I chat with my MSN/AIM/Yahoo contacts
- How do I convert a DVD to look at it on my N800
- How can I place VoIP calls

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
defor: I've always answered Bluetooth DUN questions with the caveat that a DUN data plan is required for it to all work properly. It's just a "Good Idea."

docnesh: Make sure your plan has the "Unlimited Internet with Tethering" option. The dial-up number is #777 and if you have the tethering option you do not need a username and password.