Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You're asking the wrong questions again. To be honest I got a much different impression of your age from the wording of your posts... not necessarily the subject.

Impressions? All I wanted to do is learn how to run a few specific programs which are free to install on my Nokia N800 from maemo.com. Maybe I should have played the game differently like I have noticed others have... looks like this error cost me 6 months of reading endless pages on this topic.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
our point is that you should be reading before asking questions, and not demanding answers. sTRess or not, try your best to figure it out and post what hangs you up. pEOple are more willing to help those who try to help themselves.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
I have been using Windows for 20 years and never came accoss a hacking programs...
I'm impressed that you've been using Windows since version 1 or 2 and never seen a hacking program for the operating environment, err, operating system. Okay, I don't remember seeing much for Windows 1, but by the 3.0 days it was tough to find a BBS without at least a ZIP password cracker in the downloads area.

I don't recall ever downloading one though.

Originally Posted by brendan View Post
our point is that you should be reading before asking questions, and not demanding answers. sTRess or not, try your best to figure it out and post what hangs you up. pEOple are more willing to help those who try to help themselves.

Ok dad!!!!!!

Bottom line is nothing I can say or do to get a few command lines in X-term on this subject from the OLD BOYS CLUB... gotta hope to make friends with another newbie and work with him on this... I have noticed the newbies explain everything step by step which is what other newbies really need.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Dude... don't blame the response. Your approach left something to be desired, people reacted as you yourself said you expected, that's it. Instead of passive aggressive whining, try a reboot. Or keep thinking it's everyone else at fault. Your call. But geez-- one martyr here is enough.

The thing is there aren't simple command lines for these programs and the way you're asking for help makes you sound like a |33t sCRiPt kIdDIe. I'm a Linux n00b as well, but I've spent a little time reading the tutorials for these programs and tried them out. You need some patience and some practice to get them to work. Even then airodump-ng tends to crap out on me after 5-10 minutes of capturing packets. Bottom line, no one is going to help you when you explicitly state you intend to use these tools for illegal purposes. If you said you wanted to do some penetration testing on your own network that would be different...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Dude... don't blame the response. Your approach left something to be desired, people reacted as you yourself said you expected, that's it. Instead of passive aggressive whining, try a reboot. Or keep thinking it's everyone else at fault. Your call. But geez-- one martyr here is enough.

What you are saying is 100% true. But so is what I am saying. I see both sides so I can admit this. Can you? eg. Old Boys Club needs to be stroked and played to get bottom line results... I just tried to challenge the establishment... I aint gonna win I know but I just felt like saying this stuff anyhow. To me it is not logical to be able to legally download 50 software programs made for the Nokia N800, but because I am a newbie, I may only ask how to run 44 of these programs. That to me is worth challenging.

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-05-02 at 06:31.

Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
The thing is there aren't simple command lines for these programs and the way you're asking for help makes you sound like a |33t sCRiPt kIdDIe. I'm a Linux n00b as well, but I've spent a little time reading the tutorials for these programs and tried them out. You need some patience and some practice to get them to work. Even then airodump-ng tends to crap out on me after 5-10 minutes of capturing packets. Bottom line, no one is going to help you when you explicitly state you intend to use these tools for illegal purposes. If you said you wanted to do some penetration testing on your own network that would be different...

Everything you said is true. But why do I have to lie and play the game? The member "ArnimS" gave us all a great command line to use under the title "HOWTO: Increase Screen Dim/Blank timeouts!"...

gconftool-2 -s "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout" 1800 -t INT
gconftool-2 -s "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_blank_timeout" 3600 -t INT

HE DIDN'T TELL US ALL TO GO GOOGLE THE HISTORY OF SCREEN SAVERS IN ORDER TO QUALIFY TO HAVE THIS WONDERFUL FEATURE ADDED TO OUR NOKIA N800!!
This is what I want for ALL software programs... and I do not want to be told I need to go read pages and pages about how X-terminal works with different commands and until I learn half of the commands in X-Terminal ONLY THEN will someone from the Old Boys Club fill me in on the rest. Tell me what you know and keep the judgements to yourself. I come here to learn how to run all 50 software programs on maemo for the Nokia N800... and I get tired having to do each program the long way just because everyone else did it that way. I have a better system here. I ASK and YOU TELL me what you know. Why be jealous and hold out on me just because I have come up with a better system on here than you did? If this was a perfect world for me, I could come on this website and within 1 week learn everything I need to know about the Nokia N800. (not everything but everything *I* need to know) But nooooooooooooo that is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To simple. To logicial. Must read read read read read read and earn respect? OMG give me a few command lines for kismet, dsniff, aircrack, etc... and while you are at it ALL of your repositories... lol... WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED? THIS IS INSANE TO ME!! (A LIFETIME WINDOWS USER)

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-05-02 at 07:58.

Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
LOL Wow what a reaction. I thought these program were made so people could use internet on the road when every internet connection is locked.
No, that's not at all why those programs were made.
When on the road you'll find basically three types of networks:
1) Open, free ones.
2) Open (as in non-encrypted), but you have to go through a https web page and register and pay. Common in airports (although some airports use scheme 1), which is better) and also to cover big areas of some cities.
3) Private networks. Your regular home-user, or some office's internal wi-fi network. Stay off from these. Always.

Stick with 1) and 2), and only use those mentioned tools for _legal_ security research issues. Usually 2) at least are easy to find, that it may cost money isn't a reason for cracking someone's private network.

Closed Thread