Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gsagers View Post
Just to be absolutely clear (maybe what I typed above has a logic flaw!), I do not support or condone breaking encryption to get at someone's wifi. Neither ethical nor legal.

I'm not saying you should hijack a neighbor's open AP either! Use AP's you have permission to use!
Ok, I was confused by the wording in your post. Thanks for the clarification!

LOL Wow what a reaction. I thought these program were made so people could use internet on the road when every internet connection is locked. Maybe i am not geek enough or even business like to think this is a huge problem. All I know is these programs exist and I want to use them like all the other Lynix pro people. I do not believe for 1 minute the Lynix pro people don't use these programs to check their email in a desperate situation. Equal rights!

You'll find that the users here rely on their bluetooth phones for on-the-road access. Assuming that the bulk of pros here are black hat hackers is ridiculous, and your own reaction is rather juvenile.

We're not "Lynix pros". Mostly just regular Linux users (at least on the tablets) who do their homework before calling in the troops. Equal rights ? Equal efforts !

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You'll find that the users here rely on their bluetooth phones for on-the-road access. Assuming that the bulk of pros here are black hat hackers is ridiculous, and your own reaction is rather juvenile.
How am I suppose to know any different... I am totally new to this and when I buy a Nokia N800 and see about 50 programs that people built for it and good 10% is what I percieve as HACKER programs... well I want in on it! Remember I am totally new to this and these are programs I come across. I did not make these programs. Am I wrong to assume these are hacker programs? If so fine but from a newbie's perspective sure sounds like it. I am just being real from my point of veiw and do not mean to make enemies on here, but I must be honest in what my intentions are. But I will not fight with anyone on here because quite frankly you all are teaching me so much stuff and I love this place.

PS: I have a 200mb/month data plan myself but it soooooooo slow. I rather use regular hi-speed wifi and if I ever learn to crack outside wifi I will!! Burn me for this if you wish oh well.

eg.
wirelesstools
kismet
dsniff
aircrack-ng
aircrack-ptw

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-05-01 at 23:19.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
We're not "Lynix pros". Mostly just regular Linux users (at least on the tablets) who do their homework before calling in the troops. Equal rights ? Equal efforts !
I did noticed this is how it worked on here but instead of learning how to break wifi in the next 6 months by reading endless pages I just wanted to see if someone could give me a few simple command lines to speed up the process... I wasn't holding my breath cuz I did notice how everyone operates on here... some people protect their repositories like it was gold. Why else does it take me 2 months and searching all over the place to come up with 25 repositories when it could have taken 1 day on here if some "Lynix user" just posted all of his? As a newbie I rather oldtimers make it really really easy for me instead of making me earn it. I got got a family to take care of and a wife who is not pleased I spend so much time on here.

Your reply has no relationship to my statements. Try reading again and reframing your questions if you want answers.

A hint: you first imply that ALL "Lynix pros" probably engage in illicit activities-- now you allege that only 10% of the N800 programs demonstrate such intent (I find that too high). You claim you're just "being real", but that isn't reflected in your statements on this subject.

Just curious: how old are you?

And, you know, I certainly won't presume to tell you how to be a father and husband, but personally this family man could never conceive of even flirting with black hat stuff.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-05-01 at 23:35.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
euchreprof, if you want things to "just work" without taking the trouble to understand anything about them, I would suggest that you stick to Windows, or at the very least to the preinstalled apps on the Nokia tablets.

Babysitting you, as you *demand*, would be twice inefficient : first, a waste of the time of helpful, knowledgeable people retyping and dumbing down information that is readily available elsewhere, just because you are too lazy to look it up ; second, because at some point in those instructions something might (will) go wrong, due to a typo or small difference between the writer's setup and yours, and then you still won't know what to do and come back grumbling and whining for more.

Some things take learning. Do you also want us to teach you to play the guitar and piano in 24hrs without any effort on your part ?

Remember the Chinese saying : "Give a man a fish, he will eat for one day. Teach him to fish, he will eat for the rest of his life". That applies to virtual fish, too :-)

I know, I know, I know, but my wife already calls me a "geek" for buying a Nokia N800 and doing all these modifications and for even coming on this website... and I am just inbetween loving my wife and loving my Nokia N800 and trying to balance out the 2!! I am under pressure here!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Your reply has no relationship to my statements. Try reading again and reframing your questions if you want answers.

A hint: you first imply that ALL "Lynix pros" probably engage in illicit activities-- now you allege that only 10% of the N800 programs demonstrate such intent (I find that too high). You claim you're just "being real", but that isn't reflected in your statements on this subject.

Just curious: how old are you?

And, you know, I certainly won't presume to tell you how to be a father and husband, but personally this family man could never conceive of even flirting with black hat stuff.

I am 37. Married and have a 4 year old daughter. All I want is high speed internet when I am on the road... sometimes I get into unlocked wireless networks and sometimes all of these are locked... I know it is wrong but I sleep soundly at night. About the percentages of programs which are hacker ones... whatever the percentages... there are atleast a half dozen in a small amount of total programs on maemo. As a newbie... this got my attention to the possiblities. I have been using Windows for 20 years and never came accoss a hacking programs... but out of 50 on maemo I see 6 of them and I am a child to want to use them?

You're asking the wrong questions again. To be honest I got a much different impression of your age from the wording of your posts... not necessarily the subject.

Closed Thread