Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
If you can find out the package name for each of the apps you want to install (this can be tricky because I believe the Application Manager shows, at least for some packages, a "friendly name" with spaces in it, rather than the package name), you could do something like apt-get install package1 package2 package3 etc. This will show you the list of dependencies that will be pulled in. Somehow you'll need to capture that list and turn it into a list of commands to download (e.g. wget).

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Okay... could anyone please confirm or explain where the .debs are saved AFTER ive selected to NOT clear the cache in the app manager (using red pill) as was described to me above...

PLEASE.....HELP....

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chakotay_da_silver View Post
Spent last night installing 1/3 of a Bazillion apps..

and now ive looked in /var/cache/apt/archives and there's nothing there..
It was my understanding that unchecking that Application manager setting would do the trick. My apologies.

HEY!!! I FOUND IT I FOUND IT!!!

Sjgadsby, dude.. come on please don't apologize man! You really helped a hell of a lot, if not the most! So i really appreciate it!

So in short: if anyone else wants to know:

- 1. follow sjgadbys' instructions in this thread
- 2. i) go to terminal (or install a file manager that can see more than user space)
ii) navigate to "/media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache"
---> THAT is where all the .deb files are saved, that u can then copy off to a hard drive
or whatever, in preparation for ur hypothetical adventure trip without internet

MMC2 is the internal 2GB memory of the n810..

VOILA!!! they're all there!!

SWEET!

Thx for all ur help guys... now.. im gonna try to figure out exactly how to reinstall them after having reflashed, with some of the great advice already posted here [Edit: I mean for those times that for unknown reason the APPLICATION MANAGER gives a f*cking annoying "operation failed" message...in other words through this dpkg thing...ill check back over the previous answers here and give it a go]

EDIT 2: Actually when you connect the n810 to your computer (at least through OSX or Linux) using the supplied usb cable, it should mount both MMC1 (replaceable sd memory) and MMC2 (internal 2GB memory with this hidden folder containing the installed applications' .deb's)

Last edited by chakotay_da_silver; 2009-03-06 at 14:23.

NVM - Read to end of document *hits head*
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!